PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a RB on this team that is a lock for 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroney would be a 1 million cap hit if he was cut, but being there is no cap does it really matter? (besides the 1 million coming out of kraft's wallet)

Maroney would be a 1 million cap hit if he was cut, but being there is no cap does it really matter? (besides the 1 million coming out of kraft's wallet)

I would be in complete and utter shock if a RB is not selected by the end of the second round unless we somehow are able to grab a top flight RB in FA

The RB corps is going to be altered...thats about as sure a bet as there is

Brady is going to start needing a solid and trusting running group behind him as he nears into his mid 30s,I am tired of seeing him having to face 3rd and long and subject to getting annihilated because our running backs have not made enough yardage in the first or second downs to avoid obvious passing downs

Drafting a RB or getting a good Vet does not guarantee success but then again it has to be better than it has been the past few years since Dillon left.

Same goes for the OL,There WILL be changes there as well,especially with the tackles and right guard area,Vollmer is going to send someone from last years starters on thier way out.

Advertisement in the paper this offseason: ATTENTION: Foxboro Team in need of a bruising back and tough nosed offensive linemen,If qualified please come in...

Last edited:
Plus he'd cost a pretty penny. RB's really are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Unless it's a superstar, that's a position you really dont want to see a team that has a QB/WR combo of Tom Brady/Randy Moss spend too much coin on.

Since he was injured this part season and the Jets did just fine without him I wonder if that will knock down what he can command.

BJGE 2009 avg y/c 4.4
team overal avg y/c 4.1

only running back on the team with zero fumbles in 2009.
he also had zero fumble in 2008.

Wait a minute....how dare u throw th
at kind
d of factual logic around on this site!!!

at kind

Wow, 4.4 ypc from 26 carries.

It's subjective, see the post I made directly after that.

BJGE 2009 avg y/c 4.4
team overal avg y/c 4.1

only running back on the team with zero fumbles in 2009.
he also had zero fumble in 2008.

Well, Hoyer should start over Brady because he completed 70.4% of his passes and didn't throw a single INT last year.

Maroney is pretty much a lock. His salary is only $825k. Although he had a fumble problem, he was pretty good this year. If they can fix that fumble problem, he can be a solid back. Probably not a great lead back, but a good role player. As for him being a disapointment, he wasn't except for his draft position. He was the best RB the Pats had last season.

I think Taylor could be gone with a $2 million salary. Morris should be able to make it to camp with a $900k salary. Who the Pats add and how much he has left will determine if he stays. Faulk should be back unless the Pats pick up a Sproles or a Leon Washington to take over his role. Marshall Faulk said on 98.5 that talking to Kevin that Kevin is of the mindset that either he plays for the Pats in 2010 or retires.

I would be in complete and utter shock if a RB is not selected by the end of the second round unless we somehow are able to grab a top flight RB in FA

The RB corps is going to be altered...thats about as sure a bet as there is

Brady is going to start needing a solid and trusting running group behind him as he nears into his mid 30s,I am tired of seeing him having to face 3rd and long and subject to getting annihilated because our running backs have not made enough yardage in the first or second downs to avoid obvious passing downs

Drafting a RB or getting a good Vet does not guarantee success but then again it has to be better than it has been the past few years since Dillon left.

Same goes for the OL,There WILL be changes there as well,especially with the tackles and right guard area,Vollmer is going to send someone from last years starters on thier way out.

Advertisement in the paper this offseason: ATTENTION: Foxboro Team in need of a bruising back and tough nosed offensive linemen,If qualified please come in...

I am in complete agreement. I am convinced that the Pats will go after a RB via FA/Trade or Draft. They need youth & playmaking. 3 Years of LoMo have proven hes a decent player- not a great one that is needed to take the pressure off TB and keep defenses honest.

My .02$

at kind

Yeah, how about the fact that BJGE had more games without a single carry (10) than the highest number of carries he had in a single game this season (7) or than the number of games he rushed for more than 10 yards (2)? But that isn't logic. Logic is talking the season average of a RB who rushed 26 times all season and comparing to RBs who have rushed as almost many times in a single game (Maroney rushed 23 times vs. Buffalo, Taylor rushed 21 times vs. Atlanta, and Morris rushed 17 times vs. Denver).

Ryan Matthews - Fresno State, 5-11, 220

I don't think they'll expend a first or second rounder on a RB, but he's a good counterpoint to the shifty LoMo and the elusive Faulk. I think Faulk and Maroney are locks, but their roles are already predefined and not particularly dominant within the scope of the Offense. The ground game, as a whole, consists solely of role players. They've got to purge the roster of these Dinosaurs like Taylor (a T-Rex when healthy, but now almost extinct) and go with fresher legs.

If they are going to address a position beyond DL/LB/OL in the first two rounds, all I can think is WR. Psst, Ben Tate in the 4th anyone? I just don't see the sense in burning a 2nd round pick on a RB when there are not 2 but FIVE backs on the roster as it is. Now if they want to get after a back early, it would seem to make more sense next year when some of these guys would be gone (fairly safe assumption, agreed?).

With regard to Faulk, I think people are being a bit too optimistic in stating that he is a lock. He'll be 34 by the time the season starts. If Faulk and the Pats are not close in years & $$$, they will let him walk. BB's philosophy is to let a player go a year early than keep them a year too long. It would be unfortunate no question. My gut tells me that the team will work something out...

Quite frankly, I don't consider any RB from 2009 a lock to return.

Last edited:
If we do Draft a day two/three RB, get on Joique Bell.

Last edited:
With regard to Faulk, I think people are being a bit too optimistic in stating that he is a lock. He'll be 34 by the time the season starts. If Faulk and the Pats are not close in years & $$$, they will let him walk. BB's philosophy is to let a player go a year early than keep them a year too long. It would be unfortunate no question. My gut tells me that the team will work something out...

Quite frankly, I don't consider any RB from 2009 a lock to return.

I think Faulk knows the deal. He is at the age and role, he isn't going to get more than an one to two year deal for short money. He has stated to Marshall Faulk either he plays for the Pats or retires. So the ball is basically in Belichick's court. Either he wants to milk Faulk for every last play or he will try to get a younger version of him.

I think Faulk knows the deal. He is at the age and role, he isn't going to get more than an one to two year deal for short money. He has stated to Marshall Faulk either he plays for the Pats or retires. So the ball is basically in Belichick's court. Either he wants to milk Faulk for every last play or he will try to get a younger version of him.

Yep. I agree. They'll work something out. There were some offseasons where Troy Browns future with the team was a little murky but he came back. But in the end he came home...I expect Faulk to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News