PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the all time Patriot team the best all time team? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at just starters and a few key backups the Pats are up there with Dallas and if it gets into a passing game have the edge. Great job putting that list of players together by the way.

Thanks! One thing that amazed me was seeing how strong the next five offensive linemen were for Dallas. That's a heck of an OL legacy.

When all else is equal (or close to it), the QB and HC put you over the edge. We have the GOAT of each. The all-time Pats team would probably be the best

the op is talking about whether greatest Pats all time would be the greatest team all time (multi years, multi eras)
I gotcha. I thought it was yet another, "could this year's team be the best of all time" posts.

I'm assuming there is a normalization amongst eras. For instance, we're not penalizing sub-300lb linemen from before 1990.

If so, I'd put the all-time Pats team against an all-time Steelers or Cowboys team simply due to Brady.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks! One thing that amazed me was seeing how strong the next five offensive linemen were for Dallas. That's a heck of an OL legacy.

Erik Williams would arguably be the best tackle in Patriots history and he doesn't even make the Cowboys starting five. Zack Martin's a top-3 lineman in the game right now and doesn't make it (though when all is said and done he'll be over Newton). It's nuts.

question is who coaches Dallas? Jimmie or Landry.

If it's Landry, thats a razor thin coaching matchup with Belichick.

Landry invented the 4-3 defense, was 270-178-6, over 16 years went to 12 NFCCG, 3 SB and won 2
Belichick knows everything Landry knows and more just due to the fact how much the game has progressed in the 29 years since Landry retired.

HOF caliber players at every position group, wow.

Belichick knows everything Landry knows and more just due to the fact how much the game has progressed in the 29 years since Landry retired.

change =/= progression

It is when it comes to Belichick.

Bill isnt the 1st coach to reinvent the wheel, just the latest (and arguably greatest).

It's all just different schemes, which is not some massive progression that would make old coaches look like fools. It's still just football, 11 on 11. A great football mind will be great in any era

Bill isnt the 1st coach to reinvent the wheel, just the latest (and arguably greatest).

It's all just different schemes, which is not some massive progression that would make old coaches look like fools. It's still just football, 11 on 11. A great football mind will be great in any era
Yeah they are just different schemes, and a great football mind will be great in any era. But in a single game with a Belichick team vs a Landry team do you think Landry is gonna be able to keep up with Belichick scheme wise?

Im confused, are you saying Edelman has had a better career than Wes?

In 6 years here Wes had 672 receptions (franchise record) and 7,459 yards. Receptions per year were 112, 111, 123, 86 (in 11 games), 122, 118. In 10 less games as a Patriot, Wes has 230 more receptions and 2,200 more yards than Edelman. Wes had 5 100 rec seasons and 5 1000yd seasons here. Edelman has 1 100 rec season and 2 1000yd seasons.

Now, if we are talking about who you take in a playoff game? Sure, I'll take Edelman there (really would take Amendola over both of them)

I think the honest answer is that due to Welker dropping the likely game winning pass in the Super Bowl, and bolting to play with Manning people like Edelman more than Welker.

Stats wise Welker is clearly better. Not just in terms of number of yards/receptions, but also Catch%. For 2007-2009 he caught 75.8% of throws to him. Edelman for 2013-2015 only had a catch% of 69.2%.

So basically heart says Edelman, but brain says Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back