• no

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 16 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally made a post about Suggs last week. My point is that with the new coaching comes a new system and it looks like they are going to switch to a 4-3 so Suggs wont be maximized as an athlete...and his numbers will go DOWN so he is going to be worth more this year than next. BB has shown he will spend the $$ on special,franchise players,especially LBs. At 26, Suggs is a proven commodity(in his prime) and will likely be far better than anyone that we will have at that position next year. I dont think we would have to give up 2 #1s, as he is not an EXCLUSIVE right franchise is he?
Now if we were drafting at 31 we would CERTAINLY trade 2 1s for him, and #7 has ALOT more value than 2 @31s. They are rebuilding, they will be able to take both Ellis and Ryan. Problem is that we have to make the trade BEFORE the draft in order to have the time to approach Suggs and measure him for a long term contract before the draft. I dont think this is very risky considering Long and Gholston will definately be gone. I think this makes too much sense and that this might in fact be going on before the draft(because we need permission). We likely wont hear a thing til its done, but our FO is too smart to not find out why he hasnt signed a contract with the Ravens right?

Great post sir! I would still do a #7 for Suggs if he can be fit financially, in a NY minute. A little play on words for this. But I would get rid of our second rounder too. What....Get rid of our second? I say they should go after Suggs but how about Shockey? Just broke in PFT. It was the Saints!!!! that turned down the NYG offer for S Harper and a #2. What would you trade for Shockey? Would you want him? I would. I would give them James Sanders and our second rounder (not a good round for the Pats in the last years anyway) so fast it would make your head spin. Shockey is a money player and Ben Watson is 4 years of potential and injuries(ironically Shockey is only slightly less durable). With the game on the line in the fourth quarter and they are mugging Randy and Wes, do you want Ben Watson or Shockey as your option? Easy choice. Another pain in the a**? Yep.

Then I would use our two third rounders to target CB Charles Godfrey who should still be there and SS Josh Barrett or Tom Zbkowski in the late third round. Fourth Round I would target Purdue LB Stanford Keglar and in the fifth perhaps KR/WR Dexter Jackson or CB Chevis Jackson might still be available. Another TE? You know and I know that Dave Thomas will get injured again. Sixth round maybe superb and cerebral blocking TE, Adam Bishop of Nevada and the seventh, the RB steal of the draft Cory Boyd, the best receiving RB in this years class and at 214lbs can run decent as well with 4.41 speed.

Another direction would be to offer the fourth rounder for Dallas LB Bobby Carpenter. He starts here by next year if we get him! We know BB disdains rookie LBs. Now we have a shot for Chevis Jackson in the fourth for sure.

Not a bad draft day I suspect. Suggs, Shockey, Carpenter and some healthy developing back up help.
DW Toys

Is there any draftees that play like Suggs?

So you are saying he is worth signing and lossing big vince next year as we have no money ?.

do you see a NT coming out late first rounder who is going to step up and play like vince in 09 draft?

So you are saying he is worth signing and lossing big vince next year as we have no money ?.

do you see a NT coming out late first rounder who is going to step up and play like vince in 09 draft?

Relax, signing Suggs and Big Vince are not inclusive. Vince is not a free agent until 2010, a lot could happen in two years.
http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

As of February the Pats are over $80M under the 2010 cap, plus it may be an uncapped year.

Lets just say that we disagree on this one big time. I would much rather build a dominant front seven and piece the secondary together than have QBs picking apart the backfield because they have all day to throw.

The history I remember is the Patriots having their best defenses with a OLB rotation of Colvin, McGinest and Vrabel and ILB of Bruschi, Johnson and Phifer.

Pass rushers don't grow on trees, that is why they are expensive. Thomas gives the Patriots flexibility and is an excellent inside blitzer. Something they sorrily missed when he moved to the outside. He had a great Superbowl but was almost invisible on the edge until the final game, it is not like he was lights out and Vrabel was pretty much dead on his feet by the end of the game. More depth would have helped, chances are with elite depth they would have made 1-2 more 3rd down stops when they really needed to.

Our best defense had McGinest and Vrabel with Matt Chatham as the 3rd OLB in 2003 when Colvin went out for the year.

Relax, signing Suggs and Big Vince are not inclusive. Vince is not a free agent until 2010, a lot could happen in two years.
http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

As of February the Pats are over $80M under the 2010 cap, plus it may be an uncapped year.

Alot can happen people forget the cap space till the start of 09. hence,if we have injury and if some player is on the wire you need a few million for this.suggs will max this stuff out. also , a player might redo his contract but most do not do this especially if he has 2-3 yrs.

I originally made a post about Suggs last week. My point is that with the new coaching comes a new system and it looks like they are going to switch to a 4-3 so Suggs wont be maximized as an athlete...and his numbers will go DOWN so he is going to be worth more this year than next. BB has shown he will spend the $$ on special,franchise players,especially LBs. At 26, Suggs is a proven commodity(in his prime) and will likely be far better than anyone that we will have at that position next year. I dont think we would have to give up 2 #1s, as he is not an EXCLUSIVE right franchise is he?
Now if we were drafting at 31 we would CERTAINLY trade 2 1s for him, and #7 has ALOT more value than 2 @31s. They are rebuilding, they will be able to take both Ellis and Ryan. Problem is that we have to make the trade BEFORE the draft in order to have the time to approach Suggs and measure him for a long term contract before the draft. I dont think this is very risky considering Long and Gholston will definately be gone. I think this makes too much sense and that this might in fact be going on before the draft(because we need permission). We likely wont hear a thing til its done, but our FO is too smart to not find out why he hasnt signed a contract with the Ravens right?

You don't think Suggs would make for a good 4-3 End? I think he would be awsome there, he is one hell of a pass rusher. His sack numbers actually could go up as a 4-3 end which than could increase his value.

Last edited:
Great post sir! I would still do a #7 for Suggs if he can be fit financially, in a NY minute. A little play on words for this. But I would get rid of our second rounder too. What....Get rid of our second? I say they should go after Suggs but how about Shockey? Just broke in PFT. It was the Saints!!!! that turned down the NYG offer for S Harper and a #2. What would you trade for Shockey? Would you want him? I would. I would give them James Sanders and our second rounder (not a good round for the Pats in the last years anyway) so fast it would make your head spin. Shockey is a money player and Ben Watson is 4 years of potential and injuries(ironically Shockey is only slightly less durable). With the game on the line in the fourth quarter and they are mugging Randy and Wes, do you want Ben Watson or Shockey as your option? Easy choice. Another pain in the a**? Yep.

Then I would use our two third rounders to target CB Charles Godfrey who should still be there and SS Josh Barrett or Tom Zbkowski in the late third round. Fourth Round I would target Purdue LB Stanford Keglar and in the fifth perhaps KR/WR Dexter Jackson or CB Chevis Jackson might still be available. Another TE? You know and I know that Dave Thomas will get injured again. Sixth round maybe superb and cerebral blocking TE, Adam Bishop of Nevada and the seventh, the RB steal of the draft Cory Boyd, the best receiving RB in this years class and at 214lbs can run decent as well with 4.41 speed.

Another direction would be to offer the fourth rounder for Dallas LB Bobby Carpenter. He starts here by next year if we get him! We know BB disdains rookie LBs. Now we have a shot for Chevis Jackson in the fourth for sure.

Not a bad draft day I suspect. Suggs, Shockey, Carpenter and some healthy developing back up help.
DW Toys

We have Watson and he is our version of Shockey, we need a blocking TE...more like Boss,lol. The Giants pretty much demonstrated the difference between the 2 after Shockey got hurt(again). Look for us to take one on the 2nd day. Sanders is not and never will be flashy/sexy player but for now he is a need because he can play both Safety positions. Remember what happened in the Super bowl a few years ago when both our safeties went down??
I would concentrate on a pass rusher in the first round, either a CB or flexible G/T,or a NT with the 2nd pick(dont be surprised to see us reach for Albert if we get stuck with #7), do the same with the 3rds,picking up what you missed in the 2nd. After that we should look for depth/bpa with TE/SS/WR/CB all needs in the 4-5th range. Thanks for the props.

You lost me...

I never said anything about any NT.

Are there any players that resemble Suggs intensity?

That way the Pats can save a few bucks...

Its not about saving ,How much you want to bet that like the last 7 yrs that by the end of the year we would have maxed the cap as usual.
the current space after paying the rookies is going to less.

we have logan mankins and vince wilfork becoming a FA in end of 09 season.
if we are going to sign some one i rather start with these 2 players.especially vince as i am sure he is worth 9-10 million a year.

With the way guards pay is going I would DEFINATELY let Mankins go to FA. We will see about big Vince as every year we cross our fingers he doesnt go down....behind Brady likely the hardest guy to replace on the team. NTs either burn out or last forever...too early to tell yet, definately wait til last minute on Vince.

AD could mentor him some... they used to be teammates.

With all due respect to AD, I think Suggs is much better plus you factor his age and you realize if SF didn't win those 3 games late, Suggs may be worth the #2 pick if the Pats had it.

With the way guards pay is going I would DEFINATELY let Mankins go to FA. We will see about big Vince as every year we cross our fingers he doesnt go down....behind Brady likely the hardest guy to replace on the team. NTs either burn out or last forever...too early to tell yet, definately wait til last minute on Vince.

The cap is going up each year. No one can even speculate what the cap might be 5 yrs from now but it could be very high. Therefore, any notion of "we can't afford him" is out the window. There is even talk of an uncapped year after the current agreement expires.

Its not about saving ,How much you want to bet that like the last 7 yrs that by the end of the year we would have maxed the cap as usual.
the current space after paying the rookies is going to less.

we have logan mankins and vince wilfork becoming a FA in end of 09 season.
if we are going to sign some one i rather start with these 2 players.especially vince as i am sure he is worth 9-10 million a year.

:confused: Are you on some SSRI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back