PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cunnigham that useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Cunningham just isn't good enough to get on the field right now. It is what it is. Who really cares who is playing and how we've acquired said player as long as we are winning.

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have a somewhat simple suggestion. If Cunningham had more talent and ability, he would get more reps. Belichick puts his best on the field. Consider that we have three defensive ends that were playing well, and a $4M DE who was playing not so well (but OK). Belichick had no problem playing Anderson AND Deaderick AND Carter on the defensive line. They are our best defensive linemen at the moment, along with Wilfork. They get the reps.

The problem is that Anderson, Ellis, and Deaderick are the ones lining up at the LDE position opposite Carter. Cunningham is backing up Carter. How is Cunningham supposed to get on the field when Carter rarely comes off???

2 words: Carlos Dunlap.

He's obviously had a lot of success in Cincy's 4-3 defense as a situational pass rusher, but also could've been a dominant 3-4 DE like Calais Campbell. Yeah, yeah, sure BB wanted a 3-4 OLB or whatever, but sometimes you just gotta go by BPA. Cunningham was quite a reach and probably would have been there in the 3rd-4th rounds anyway.

2 words: Carlos Dunlap.

He's obviously had a lot of success in Cincy's 4-3 defense as a situational pass rusher, but also could've been a dominant 3-4 DE like Calais Campbell. Yeah, yeah, sure BB wanted a 3-4 OLB or whatever, but sometimes you just gotta go by BPA. Cunningham was quite a reach and probably would have been there in the 3rd-4th rounds anyway.

Folks need to move on and stop lamenting over the, 'they shoulda picked this guy or that guy', stuff. Dunlap was viewed by many as having charater issues (DWI, etc) he scared teams off. Cinci (to their credit) rolled the dice.

We have no idea if Dunlap would have been a good 3-4 DE.

Cunningham was not a major reach. He was a 2nd rounder and folks thought he'd go low 3rd or the 4th- same as how the draft status of Vollmer played out.

What is pathetic is people claiming to be fans not really watching the game and seeing tha they guy they are complaining about played the last 2 series of the game.

Reiss logged Cunningham with a total of four snaps. Fewer than Edelman played. Clearly garbage time when the game was decided. Given the impact he made, it was easy to miss.
Defensive snaps: Carter's workload - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Most of us agreed that this would be a huge year for Cunningham after the Patriots elected not to address the position in the draft. And it has. The year has determined what the team has in Cunningham.

He has been credited with one tackle for the season - after 11 starts last season. No sacks, no forced fumbles, or any other stats. Tarpinian gained seven tackles.

Tough to argue that there is a future for Cunningham after what he has delivered.

The power of negativity is just incredible. After ejecting some players it seemed we couldn't do with out, we get by with a great, emotional character building win.

The biggest part was the play of the front seven, including some previously vilified pass rushers. No Maroney, no Merriweather, where can we spew our venom?

Look, a second round pick. He should have played the whole game!!! Get the pitchforks.

We must bench Carter, Anderson, Ellis, Deaderick and Ninchovick and play him, or he's a witch!

Folks need to move on and stop lamenting over the, 'they shoulda picked this guy or that guy', stuff. Dunlap was viewed by many as having charater issues (DWI, etc) he scared teams off. Cinci (to their credit) rolled the dice.

We have no idea if Dunlap would have been a good 3-4 DE.

Cunningham was not a major reach. He was a 2nd rounder and folks thought he'd go low 3rd or the 4th- same as how the draft status of Vollmer played out.

Exactly. In the same token, there are other fanbases and front offices reaming themselves for not taking chances on such guys as Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez, both who had issues (major injury, drug use) for one reason or another.

People seem to forget the fact that the draft is hit or miss. I think Belichick, of all people recognizes that, and tries to improve his "hits" by raising his odds and taking more players/picks to try and curve some of the misses. At least it's a smart approach to a game of chance and gambling.

I think BB is keeping him, hoping he will improve and be ready for the usual 3-4 defence next year. BB will of course evaluate him before next season and if he can draft/trade/sign a better dude he will do it.

Obviously BB wants to see more of him but Carter is having a good season so he´s hard to beat. Anderson on passing downs isnt so bad so far either but I concur that Cunningham is getting a low amount of snaps and that is not so encouraging.

i have to admit i was hoping to see him playing a bigger role this year but this is not happening... seems he really disappeared from the field

Dunlap was viewed by many as having charater issues (DWI, etc) he scared teams off. Cinci (to their credit) rolled the dice.

Actually, for Cinci, that's called "establishing your bona fides". How else would he be accepted in the locker room?

The power of negativity is just incredible. After ejecting some players it seemed we couldn't do with out, we get by with a great, emotional character building win.

The biggest part was the play of the front seven, including some previously vilified pass rushers. No Maroney, no Merriweather, where can we spew our venom?

Look, a second round pick. He should have played the whole game!!! Get the pitchforks.

We must bench Carter, Anderson, Ellis, Deaderick and Ninchovick and play him, or he's a witch!

There may be some middle ground between 'yahoo, he should have played the whole game!!!' and 'he has one assisted tackle for the season.' There are few players in the front seven who play the whole game ('!!!').

No one expected Cunningham to play every snap of every game. However, there was hope he would contribute, maybe playing 30 snaps a game, generate a couple pressures and hits, set the edge on the strong side.

I see little venom or pitchforks, simply disappointment. Would many of us like to see Cunningham earning as much time as the group above - Carter, Anderson, Ellis, Deaderick, and Ninkovich? Sure. He's a second round pick. Deaderick was a seventh-round pick from the same draft on PUP. Ellis is an aging vet. The team needed to go get Carter and Anderson because of the lack of performance of the 2010 players rushing the passer last season.

Disappointment in Cunningham isn't quite 'sky is falling' territory. Nor is it sacrilege. Much like the 2006-2007 offseason, when the cry was for receivers, over the past two seasons many fans have pointed to a lack of effective pass rushers. The concern was real. The team reacted. This offseason, Cunningham was seen as a potential solution after starting 11 games in 2010. He's not.

Cunninghan is a disappointment. Calling that label incredible negativity? That's not setting the bar for disappointment very high.

There may be some middle ground between 'yahoo, he should have played the whole game!!!' and 'he has one assisted tackle for the season.' There are few players in the front seven who play the whole game ('!!!').

No one expected Cunningham to play every snap of every game. However, there was hope he would contribute, maybe playing 30 snaps a game, generate a couple pressures and hits, set the edge on the strong side.

I see little venom or pitchforks, simply disappointment. Would many of us like to see Cunningham earning as much time as the group above - Carter, Anderson, Ellis, Deaderick, and Ninkovich? Sure. He's a second round pick. Deaderick was a seventh-round pick from the same draft on PUP. Ellis is an aging vet. The team needed to go get Carter and Anderson because of the lack of performance of the 2010 players rushing the passer last season.

Disappointment in Cunningham isn't quite 'sky is falling' territory. Nor is it sacrilege. Much like the 2006-2007 offseason, when the cry was for receivers, over the past two seasons many fans have pointed to a lack of effective pass rushers. The concern was real. The team reacted. This offseason, Cunningham was seen as a potential solution after starting 11 games in 2010. He's not.

Cunninghan is a disappointment. Calling that label incredible negativity? That's not setting the bar for disappointment very high.

We got 5 sacks against the Jets in the best game in a while, from the two guys, one or both of whom, would need to sit for Cunningham to have a big game. I'm pretty damned happy about that, been dying for that for a while.

Personally, I wouldn't care if Lawrence Taylor was riding the pine if that was the result.

Some people need to find something to be disappointed about, I guess i don't understand that, but it's your right.

It seems theres a group that always has to have a whipping boy to beat up on.
It was Maroney, then it was Meriiweather, then it was Butler after Butler Edelman became a target, now its Cunningham and if and when hes gone they'll move on to someone else.

Last edited:
It seems theres a group that always has to have a whipping boy to beat up on.
It was Maroney, then it was Meriiweather, then it was Butler after Butler Edelman became a target, now its Cunningham and if and when hes gone they'll move on to someone else.

Not that i usually care, but we've got 8 guys from that 2010 draft still on the team. Two top TEs, starting corner and LB, a great punter, a DE/T making a great contribution last week and two guys I consider to be apprenticing.

Oh well, I guess it could have been better.

At least we're not calling bust before they even get a chance to play like Vereen. lol

I'm waiting for someone to predict next years picks and call them busts before the draft.

Last edited:
We got 5 sacks against the Jets in the best game in a while, from the two guys, one or both of whom, would need to sit for Cunningham to have a big game. I'm pretty damned happy about that, been dying for that for a while.

Personally, I wouldn't care if Lawrence Taylor was riding the pine if that was the result.

Some people need to find something to be disappointed about, I guess i don't understand that, but it's your right.

Your argument would have real merit if the season were only one week old.

Last edited:
Your argument would have real merit if the season were only one week old.

I don't care about individual players or where they were drafted, once we sign them. all I care is that the players we acquire win and contribute to that attitude.

Therefore, i'm not arguing anything, I'm perfectly content to let BB decide who plays and who stays.

I don't care about individual players or where they were drafted, once we sign them. all I care is that the players we acquire win and contribute to that attitude.

Therefore, i'm not arguing anything, I'm perfectly content to let BB decide who plays and who stays.

You've been arguing this entire thread.

Even if Carter is the greatest player ever, I expect a 2nd round pick to get some considerable reps. It's not as if we are an all-star team. We are not calling for him to be put on the field, we are just recognizing that he was probably a bad invesent.

Should you ignore the fact that your heavy investment in Company A gives no return because a lesser investment in Company B is giving good returns?
No. You would wish you never invested in company A.

Should you ignore the fact that your heavy investment in Company A gives no return because a lesser investment in Company B is giving good returns?
No. You would wish you never invested in company A.

I wish I had never invested all my cash in Budweiser at bars A,B,C,D,E,F and G....I coulda been a hundredaire or even thousandaire...:eat3:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand