PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cunnigham that useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
CONCLUSIONS
Yours seems to be that we should not celebrate that Belichick made fine choices in free agency.

Are you really going to try going there? Really?

I agree that Cunningham hasn't been a great choice. But this is also a 2-edged sword. Belichick fills some positions best from free agency and some best through the draft.

The bolded part is what people here were talking about. The unbolded part is just a lousy attempt at justification on your part.

OLB and DE/OLB positions have been difficult for Belichick to fill through the draft. He did fine with Mayo and Spikes inside.

Given that he hasn't spent many picks on the DE/OLB positions, but also given that Warren and Seymour were certainly top quality DE picks, I don't know where you think you're getting this from.

I don't know why we should be disappointed when belichick is able to find good players in free agency.

Again, you really don't want to go there.

MY BOTTOM LINE
I am fine with Carter, Ninkovich, Anderson and Cunningham. I hope that we have all four next year. Belichick will always be looking for upgrades.

Unless we see significant change moving forward, if the team stays with the 4-3, Cunningham will be gone. If the team switches back to the 3-4, Cunningham will have an uphill battle to stay on the team.

the draft is such a crap shoot. look at all the greats they either go in the first or they go way later. i understand with the critism of Cunningham i do but seriously people have to complain about everything, if we won the super bowl and mccourty didnt play great people would say hes never going to be good. enjoy this win, enjoy watching the pats be competitive! stop acting like they owe you to be perfect because they don't.

Last edited:
Is there a problem on this board with comprehension of English? Anderson is not particularly good against the run. If Cunningham can't earn time at Anderson's expense on rushing downs, there's a big problem with Cunningham's level of play.

As for the rest, I find your flip-flop regarding the drafting and developing of linebackers to have been one of the most blatant and amusing examples of its kind.

Mayo and spikes weren't drafted? I don't care if your grandmother tries out and wins a job, all i care about is winning. if Cunningham is still on the team, it's because BB wants him developing, he isn't scared of cutting someone regardless of draft spot, so why in heavens name do message board posters care? The defense and the players who played it were the story of 3/4 of the game, especially the DEs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayClay

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Pretty much everywhere, for months now.

Since we're talking about DEs and the pass rush, it would be time consuming and embarrassing to paste all the posts where I'm right and you're wrong in this thread, so I'll just link it and anyone interested can check the first few pages or so...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...0081-andre-carter-pass-rush-almost-there.html

Last edited:
Mayo and spikes weren't drafted? I don't care if your grandmother tries out and wins a job, all i care about is winning. if Cunningham is still on the team, it's because BB wants him developing, he isn't scared of cutting someone regardless of draft spot, so why in heavens name do message board posters care? The defense and the players who played it were the story of 3/4 of the games, especially the DEs.

How do starters develop by going to the bench for long stretches of time? And don't give me the grandmother thing, because we had round after round of you crying about the Patriots draft history regarding linebackers.

Since we're talking about DEs and the pass rush, it would be time consuming and embarrassing to paste all the posts where I'm right and you're wrong in this thread, so I'll just link it and anyone interested can check the first few pages or so...

Where was I talking about the pass rush? I recall talking about people getting grief for wanting to discuss Cunningham's conspicuous absence on the field for the Patriots. I recall noting that it's a problem if Cunningham can't beat out Anderson when it comes to playing the run.

That's what I recall.

Clearly your comment is for the sake of humor.

Seymour was drafted in 2001. Warren and Banta-Cain were drafted in 2003. Belichick has been unable to add a significant DE or DE/OLB or OLB through the draft since the 2003 draft. That is very long time indeed. Belichick has chosen to fill these needs primarily through free agency and trades.

Perhaps I have forgotten. Please remind me of the draft successes at DE and OLB in the past EIGHT drafts.

Cunningham may still work out. I agree with you that it is unlikely to happen.

Given that he hasn't spent many picks on the DE/OLB positions, but also given that Warren and Seymour were certainly top quality DE picks, I don't know where you think you're getting this from.

Last edited:
Clearly this comment is for humor.

Seymour was drafted in 2001. Warren was drafted in 2003. Belichick has been unable to add a significant DE or DE/OLB or OLB through the draft since the 2003 draft. That is very long time.

Yes, it has. Since you have suddenly developed an issue with the time picks were made, could you list all the myriad picks spent on the position since, say, 2005?

Last edited:
How do starters develop by going to the bench for long stretches of time? And don't give me the grandmother thing, because we had round after round of you crying about the Patriots draft history regarding linebackers.

Where was I talking about the pass rush? I recall talking about people getting grief for wanting to discuss Cunningham's conspicuous absence on the field for the Patriots. I recall noting that it's a problem if Cunningham can't beat out Anderson when it comes to playing the run.

That's what I recall.

They practice and learn.

Unless they are on a loser team that only cares about showing they drafted the right guys, in which case they play in front of players who are more ready, develop bad habits and swollen heads, then are finally dumped after teams have wasted years and valuable playing time on them while not developing alternatives.

That's OK, though, because those teams get shiny new top picks which they blow to keep the fans happy for a few months until they fail again and are rewarded with the top pick again, making the draftniks ecstatic.

You have to play them, that's what the fans (of cellar dwelling teams) want.

I recall noting that it's a problem if Cunningham can't beat out Anderson when it comes to playing the run.

A problem to who, message board posters? Did BB say this was a problem in the game?

Cunningham was promising as a 34OLB last year. But as a 43DE he's certainly not going to get on the field over Carter, Anderson or Ellis.

Had BB & Caserio anticipated the usage of more 43, I wonder if they'd have taken Dunlap instead.

Last edited:
Cunningham showed to much last year to just be a bust, i don't believe that a player goes from showing potential like he did last year to not being able to play. IMO theres more to the story.

It amazes me that no one sees amy value in practicing and learning from a bunch of vet DEs. As long as the guy maintains a good attitude and practices hard, what's the problem? Carter and Ellis only have a few more years, if that.

I'm not sure what we arguing about.

My position is that Belichick has CHOSEN to fill DE and OLB positions through free agency and trades since 2003. This is a matter of his making a value decision when each pick comes up in the draft.

As you well know, we posters would prefer that Belichick spend more draft resources on DE's and OLB's. We say so every year. Every year Belichick disagrees. Since 2005, we have Cunningham and Deaderick from the drafts at DE and OLB. I am not including DT's and NT's Wilfork, Pryor and Brace, or ILB's Mayo and Spikes.

In the end, the issue is where Belichick SHOULD find additional talent at DE and OLB.

Yes, it has. Since you have suddenly developed an issue with the time picks were made, could you list all the myriad picks spent on the position since, say, 2005?

They practice and learn.

Unless they are on a loser team that only cares about showing they drafted the right guys, in which case they play in front of players who are more ready, develop bad habits and swollen heads, then are finally dumped after teams have wasted years and valuable playing time on them while not developing alternatives.

That's OK, though, because those teams get shiny new top picks which they blow to keep the fans happy for a few months until they fail again and are rewarded with the top pick again, making the draftniks ecstatic.

You have to play them, that's what the fans (of cellar dwelling teams) want.

Yes, it's always a very promising sign when a starter gets demoted for a JAG who's started about 20 of 86 games in the NFL, and who's best season was his rookie season 5 years ago. It's insane that anyone would have concerns about the player at that point.

A problem to who, message board posters? Did BB say this was a problem in the game?

To his future NFL career, and to the team that drafted him. If you're just going to be willfully obtuse, why bother posting?

I'm not sure what we arguing about.

My position is that Belichick has CHOSEN to fill DE and OLB positions through free agency and trades since 2003. This is a matter of his making a value decision when each pick comes up in the draft.

As you well know, we posters would prefer that Belichick spend more draft resources on DE's and OLB's. We say so every year. Every year Belichick disagrees. Since 2005, we have Cunningham and Deaderick from the drafts at DE and OLB. I am not including DT's and NT's Wilfork, Pryor and Brace, or ILB's Mayo and Spikes.

In the end, the issue is where Belichick SHOULD find additional talent at DE and OLB.

I don't give a damn where BB finds his players. If he can find 53 All-Pro players at the local drug store, I'm all for him picking up people from the local drug store. It was you who started down this path about the draft:

OLB and DE/OLB positions have been difficult for Belichick to fill through the draft.

I was merely looking for some real evidence about this difficulty. I, personally, don't consider a meager handful of low round picks to be particularly strong evidence of such a difficulty.

Last edited:
We're worrying about the position that had the strongest showing in our tremendous victory.

Good lawd, I guess some people need to worry about something.:rolleyes:

To his future NFL career (are you related to him, or something?), and to the team that drafted him.

BB's worried about Cunningham after the two players who most closely play his position destroyed the opposition?

I doubt it. How long do you think he spent worrying about maroney and Meriweather after he cut them, a nanosecond?

No, I think it's the posters with their draft bingo cards who can't brag to the other draftniks, because we won with street free agents!! *hangs head in shame*

We just had a huge win and you guys are complaining about this. Can this team ever make some of you happy? Picks are A crapshoot, you will never hit on every pick no matter how high they are.

they were just asking the question...maybe you need a time out or a nap. :) seriously, relax and let people post

BB's worried about Cunningham after the two players who most closely play his position destroyed the opposition?

I doubt it. How long do you think he spent worrying about maroney and Meriweather after he cut them, a nanosecond?

No, I think it's the posters with their draft bingo cards who can't brag to the other draftniks, because we won with street free agents!! *hangs head in shame*

Ok, at this point is obvious that you're being willfully obtuse. Good night to you.

Maybe we should bench Andre Carter so he can play. After all, the most important thing is justifying our draft picks to the fans.

English Comprehension.

Uh... nobody ever said that. You're really in rare form, though. The added venom goes really well with the endless arrogance that you're so well known for.
He called the moral responsibility to report the child molestor "mythical".
Call it arrogant if you wish but I am disgusted by the attitude that the the responsibility of someone aware that children are being molested to report it and put a stop to it is make believe.
Read what he said before saying he didnt say it.

I agree 100% with your position and characterization of previous remarks.

He called the moral responsibility to report the child molestor "mythical".
Call it arrogant if you wish but I am disgusted by the attitude that the the responsibility of someone aware that children are being molested to report it and put a stop to it is make believe.
Read what he said before saying he didnt say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents