PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cunnigham that useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as wishful thinking might be we are preparing him for something in the future ... let's face it ... he has no role on this team. We kind of knew this when he was drafted - why he was drafted is a head banger.

:confused:

He was drafted to play 3-4 OLB, which is what he played all of last season.

It's a great question. Would love to find a way to get Cunninghame involved, regardless of his position in each alignment. We drafted him high, one would hope he has some "scheme diversity." Disappointing, at least for now.

And he was pretty good last season. But the fact that he can't even get on the field as a 4-3 end (and he played 4-3 in College) is pathetic.

And you should be heading over to the Penn State thread ande explaining how your personal morality makes allowing men to rape children acceptable.

Uh... nobody ever said that. You're really in rare form, though. The added venom goes really well with the endless arrogance that you're so well known for.

Last edited:

....And he is unable to beat out anyone who has played DE or OLB in the 4-3.

Last edited:
Still puzzled why we chose him over his much better teammate Carlos Dunlap(a sack machine for Cincinatti)

So we can only complain/criticize when we lose? Life doesn't work that way. It should be of concern that Cunningham is so far down the depth chart whether we win or lose.

Maybe we should bench Andre Carter so he can play. After all, the most important thing is justifying our draft picks to the fans.

Boy, it's getting hard to be sarcastic. Rereading here, many posters think we should bench Carter and Anderson so Cunningham can play. Wow.

Maybe we should bench Andre Carter so he can play. After all, the most important thing is justifying our draft picks to the fans.

Great post, because that's EXACTLY what JFK was saying.... :rolleyes:

He's awesome!
Bill's keeping him in the freezer for the playoffs when he'll be unleashed on the opposing quarterbacks as the terror he is!

...which is irrelevant to the claim that he had no position here when he was drafted.

I'm missing your point. The kid played 50.9% of the defensive snaps last year and many of them came with his hand on the ground. He simply lost his job to better players and hasn't broke through and made the proverbial "jump" in his second year in all aspects of the position (run D for one...)

He also has not shown the ability to convert to a 4-3 OLB which is fine. I'm not going to ding him on that one.

Last edited:
Great post, because that's EXACTLY what JFK was saying.... :rolleyes:

After a great win, he and others are less concerned about the win and more concerned about how pitiful it is that Cunningham didn't play.

In our current base defense we would have to bench one of the two outstanding performers in the game, probably the season, for Cunningham to play. That's where he would (though he's been groomed as a 3-4 olb) play, over two veteran 4-3 DEs.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

I'm missing your point. The kid played 50.9% of the defensive snaps last year and many of them came with his hand on the ground. He simply lost his job to better players and hasn't broke through and made the proverbial "jump" in his second year. He also has not shown the ability to convert to a 4-3 OLB which is fine. I'm not going to ding him on that one.

My point was being made in response to the claim that Cunningham didn't have a role on the team when we drafted him.

As you've made clear in your post, that isn't exactly accurate.

After a great win, he and others are less concerned about the win and more concerned about how pitiful it is that Cunningham didn't play.

Game's over..... Observation and analysis are to be expected

In our current base defense we would have to bench one of the two outstanding performers in the game, probably the season, for Cunningham to play. That's where he would (though he's been groomed as a 3-4 olb) play, over two veteran 4-3 DEs.

If Cunningham can't beat out Anderson on non-passing downs, that should be a concern to you.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Pretty much everywhere, for months now. ;)

If Cunningham can't beat out Anderson on non-passing downs, that should be a concern to you.

You were disappointed in Anderson's play? I thought our defensive game plan was tremendous, especially the pass rush of Anderson and Carter.

You want BB to change his game plan to put Cunningham in to appease draftniks? That's the type of things that losers do.

I thought Carter and Anderson played a tremendous game, I hope Cunningham was taking notes.

Despite all the UDFAs playing in this tremendous victory, some fans are more concerned with the draft position of players who played or didn't.

I'm sorry, that just blows my mind.

Let's see.

Cunningham has an OK rookie season.

The defensive system is changed.

Belichick adds Carter, Ellis and Anderson as DE's and OLB's. Ninkovich is in place.

The veteran free agents do well enough for this rookie to fail to beat them out.
==============================

CONCLUSIONS
Yours seems to be that we should not celebrate that Belichick made fine choices in free agency.

I agree that Cunningham hasn't been a great choice. But this is also a 2-edged sword. Belichick fills some positions best from free agency and some best through the draft.

OLB and DE/OLB positions have been difficult for Belichick to fill through the draft. He did fine with Mayo and Spikes inside.

I don't know why we should be disappointed when belichick is able to find good players in free agency.

MY BOTTOM LINE
I am fine with Carter, Ninkovich, Anderson and Cunningham. I hope that we have all four next year. Belichick will always be looking for upgrades.

You were disappointed in Anderson's play? I thought our defensive game plan was tremendous, especially the pass rush of Anderson and Carter.

You want BB to change his game plan to put Cunningham in to appease draftniks? That's the type of things that losers do.

I thought Carter and Anderson played a tremendous game, I hope Cunningham was taking notes.

Despite all the UDFAs playing in this tremendous victory, some fans are more concerned with the draft position of players who played or didn't.

I'm sorry, that just blows my mind.

Is there a problem on this board with comprehension of English? Anderson is not particularly good against the run. If Cunningham can't earn time at Anderson's expense on rushing downs, there's a big problem with Cunningham's level of play.

As for the rest, I find your flip-flop regarding the drafting and developing of linebackers to have been one of the most blatant and amusing examples of its kind that I've seen on this site.

Last edited:
34 tackles and 1 sack in 15 games with 11 starts at OLB i think thats pretty useless, does were he's numbers last year so BB upgraded the pass rush with Carter,

is it odd that UDFA and vets are beating out high 2th round picks ? the why i see it i really dont care as long as someone is geting the job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents