PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cunnigham that useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I apologies if there is a thread on this somewhere, but since journeyman, free agent rookies, and practice squad players are getting playing time for the Pats at LB, why cant the Pats 2nd round pick.

To be hones if he is injured and I did not know, i am sorry for this thread. If he is healthy, and he can not get on the field now, than why is he even on the roster?

IDK if he played last night or not but he was a healthy scratch the last two games before last nights game. Another wasted 2nd round pick...

yes I had the same thought when I saw some of the no- names out there. I mean he is either hurt or really really in the doghouse.

Different position. Cunningham is a DE in the 43 and OLB in the 34.
He is not a 43 LB, which is where the replacements played.
He is competing with Carter for playing time, and Carter, Anderson and Ninkovich in the sub.

IDK if he played last night or not but he was a healthy scratch the last two games before last nights game. Another wasted 2nd round pick...

We just had a huge win and you guys are complaining about this. Can this team ever make some of you happy? Picks are A crapshoot, you will never hit on every pick no matter how high they are.

Last edited:
Different position. Cunningham is a DE in the 43 and OLB in the 34.
He is not a 43 LB, which is where the replacements played.
He is competing with Carter for playing time, and Carter, Anderson and Ninkovich in the sub.

This. He was drafted to be a 3-4 OLB, and when we played a 3-4 last year, he played plenty (even started). If he was going to take snaps in the 4-3, it would probably be behind Shaun Ellis, but there are so many d-linemen on this team that it's not surprising that he isn't suiting up.

Not what you'd like to see, ideally, but it's an understandable situation.

We just had a huge win and you guys are complaining about this. Can this team ever make some of you happy? Picks are A crapshoot, you will never hit on every pick no matter how high they are.

Game's over..... analysis and questioning should be expected. That's what a message board is for, after all.

I apologies if there is a thread on this somewhere, but since journeyman, free agent rookies, and practice squad players are getting playing time for the Pats at LB, why cant the Pats 2nd round pick.

To be hones if he is injured and I did not know, i am sorry for this thread. If he is healthy, and he can not get on the field now, than why is he even on the roster?

There are no stupid questions....just alot of inquisitive idiots.

I thought he got cut... :bricks:

This. He was drafted to be a 3-4 OLB, and when we played a 3-4 last year, he played plenty (even started). If he was going to take snaps in the 4-3, it would probably be behind Shaun Ellis, but there are so many d-linemen on this team that it's not surprising that he isn't suiting up.

Not what you'd like to see, ideally, but it's an understandable situation.
He isn't behind Ellis either, because the LDE is a big DE. Wright was the backup when he was healthy and now Deaderick is.
Cunningham can play RDE in the base, OLB if we go 34 or either DE spot in the sub, based on the personell groupings and characteristic of position criteria BB has used all year.

Game's over..... analysis and questioning should be expected. That's what a message board is for, after all.
And you should be heading over to the Penn State thread ande explaining how your personal morality makes allowing men to rape children acceptable.

So we can only complain/criticize when we lose? Life doesn't work that way. It should be of concern that Cunningham is so far down the depth chart whether we win or lose.

So we can only complain/criticize when we lose? Life doesn't work that way. It should be of concern that Cunningham is so far down the depth chart whether we win or lose.

Agreed. We're all happy that the Pats won last night but wondering why JC isn't even part of the DE/OLB rotation is a fair question. You look at teams like the G'ints who have a surplus of pass-rushing DE/OLBs and the Pats don't and wonder why (aside from scheme, technique, etc.)

The fact that he isn't developing into a player who at a bare minimum can contribute is worrisome.

Last edited:
I think it's just that there are more talented guys ahead of him. He's only there for the depth chart at this point.

I'm sick of hearing that scheme bull****. If you are a good player you will get on the field and it's not like he has some all-world talent ahead of him. If he was an excellent passrusher then BB would find a way to use him,if he was excellent in just coverage BB would use him...that's how alot of the guys on this D have earned roles for themselves. Cunningham seems to be another 2nd round bust we drafted that looked alot better coming out of college thanks to his superior teammate. lulz...and i expected him to be the breakout player on D for some reason.

Just remember: it could always be worse.

The next team we're playing is suffering mightily in no small part due to their #3 and #5 overall selections on the defensive line being utterly incapable.

Last edited:
IMO, Cunningham just isn't good enough to get on the field right now. It is what it is. Who really cares who is playing and how we've acquired said player as long as we are winning.

B
U
S
T

Nothing more to say.

As much as wishful thinking might be we are preparing him for something in the future ... let's face it ... he has no role on this team. We kind of knew this when he was drafted - why he was drafted is a head banger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes