PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In honor of a game 5 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 to be 4

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
It sometimes gets lost as we remember the Super Bowls. But what are your personal recollections of the Patriots-Raiders Snow Game?

For me, that was the first time I ever bawled my eyes out after a win. Watching it on TV, wife and kids upstairs asleep, snowstorm blowing all over Massachusetts, it looked I was watching a game played in a magical snowglobe. It had already been a great season, and I remember wondering when it was 13-3 if Belichick would put Bledsoe in and hoping he wouldnt.

I was glad for Brady that he led that great drive to make it 13-10 if only to show the country what we had seen all year.

When the play happened, when I thought the game was over on a fumble, I buried my head and thought about what a great season it was and hoping fans wouldnt pile on the kid.

Suddenly I heard Greg Gumble say "they are going to review this" and I looked up. When I saw the replay and heard the roar of the crowd my heart started revving up. When they reversed the call it started a chain of euphoria that just kept getting better and better.

As Vinatieri's kick, which I thought he missed, sailed over the cross bars I did a silent leap ( kids asleep upstairs) and said over and over THIS IS BERNIE CARBO! THIS IS BERNIE CARBO!

the rest of the game was magic as you KNEW we were going to win. As the OT kick went through I collapsed in a heap in my living room and sobbed. I was drained and so happy and I recognized the beauty of what I had seen, that NFL Films would love this. That finally, the Patriots had their historical, signature moment. Baltimore. Pittsburgh. I didnt care. We were going to the AFC Championship Game. And I loved Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri.

I never want to forget Jermaine Wiggins or J.R.Redmond or David Patten or Bryan Cox or anyone else associated with that night.

Heres a nice video to bring back some memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMa7cZb2Jc

My mom couldn't stay up to watch the game so I was left alone with the Pats and Oakland.

My heart ran away from me during the fumble. It was halfway down the hall.

IT WAS REVERSED? WHAT!? ARE YOU EFFIN KIDDING ME? *does the happy dance, nearly sprains ankle jumping all over couches*

Hey, heart.. come back!

It protested at both Vinatieri kicks, but my God... 2001 was the best season ever. The Patriots gave me so many heart attacks during the season and after it, but it was all worth it in the end. All worth it. :)

Good freakin times. I cried at the end of SB XXVI (I'm a girl so I'm allowed to do that ;)).

I never got too worked up over the snow bowl game. When the fumble happened, and I thought we'd lost, I was bummed, but not that much. I figured we'd never win on the road against Pittsburgh, and even if we did, we couldn't beat the Rams, so it was no big deal. I was already looking forward to seeing Brady and Belichick develop, thinking the superbowl was a couple of years away.

After the reversal, I was stunned. I also was feeling a little guilty -- like most, I didn't really understand the "tuck rule" until the next day when I read the text of the rule. I kind of was thinking the Raiders got jobbed. But once AV made the first kick, I was over it, and amazed at the team's reslience.

I would say it was one of the weirder sports experiences I can remember.

First thing that always pops into my head is Brady scrambling for the TD and how he and his spazzy celebration personified the "we've still got some life" spirit that led us the rest of the way. That and the deflected sideline catch by Wiggins. And how HUGE a game Patten had.

Hard to think of a better way to celebrate your 1,000th post.

[Hmmm. . . . have to start thinking about that. :) ]

Wiggins was the man. He helped us out so much during the playoffs. Patten too. J.R. Redmond (I think) made a clutch final catch to put us in FG range while Madden insisted that we play for overtime.

Thanks for the link...i will never forget that night. I don't know why, but when adam's kick in OT sailed through it was the best, most relieved feeling ever...i turned and looked at my wife and said "their going to win the superbowl" (this was a big deal for me as i never allow myself to think ahead. It was also pretty cool to have an east boston guy (wiggins) play a role!

Couldn't think of a better way to send out the ol stadium!

Last edited:
This is my favorite non super bowl game in Pats histroy.. It was what made this upcoming weekend the best weekend of the NFL season is this weekend..

It sometimes gets lost as we remember the Super Bowls. But what are your personal recollections of the Patriots-Raiders Snow Game?

For me, that was the first time I ever bawled my eyes out after a win. Watching it on TV, wife and kids upstairs asleep, snowstorm blowing all over Massachusetts, it looked I was watching a game played in a magical snowglobe. It had already been a great season, and I remember wondering when it was 13-3 if Belichick would put Bledsoe in and hoping he wouldnt.

I was glad for Brady that he led that great drive to make it 13-10 if only to show the country what we had seen all year.

When the play happened, when I thought the game was over on a fumble, I buried my head and thought about what a great season it was and hoping fans wouldnt pile on the kid.

Suddenly I heard Greg Gumble say "they are going to review this" and I looked up. When I saw the replay and heard the roar of the crowd my heart started revving up. When they reversed the call it started a chain of euphoria that just kept getting better and better.

As Vinatieri's kick, which I thought he missed, sailed over the cross bars I did a silent leap ( kids asleep upstairs) and said over and over THIS IS BERNIE CARBO! THIS IS BERNIE CARBO!

the rest of the game was magic as you KNEW we were going to win. As the OT kick went through I collapsed in a heap in my living room and sobbed. I was drained and so happy and I recognized the beauty of what I had seen, that NFL Films would love this. That finally, the Patriots had their historical, signature moment. Baltimore. Pittsburgh. I didnt care. We were going to the AFC Championship Game. And I loved Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri.

I never want to forget Jermaine Wiggins or J.R.Redmond or David Patten or Bryan Cox or anyone else associated with that night.

Heres a nice video to bring back some memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMa7cZb2Jc

Very nicely done post.

My recollection of that night...

Feeling supremely confident going into the game. Very excited, as the Pats had run off a long winning streak, and had plenty of magical moments already. Then when the Raiders had their lead, and time kept going down, and they still had the lead, I got nervous. Still, felt like the Patriots could come back. There was a confidence under Brady that I didn't have when I watched Bledsoe. Then Brady lost the ball and Biekert recovered, and I felt the game was over. Even still, I kept watching, hoping for some kind of miracle, even though I felt it wasn't coming. I spent that time reflecting on the season, being disappointed that it was ending early, but hopeful that the Patriots could build off the season.

Then the play got reversed, and I was jumping up and down like crazy! I knew all the Pats needed was a second chance, and that was it. Let's face it, we got lucky there with an obscure rule that, thankfully, Walt Coleman remembered. I don't feel sympathy for the Raiders, they needed the Holy Roller to get to their SB championship back in the day. :D

The two Vinatieri kicks...man. I was so excited, and I felt blessed to have witnessed that game. Felt like a movie. So glad I have a copy of it on VHS. I watch it, seeing Patten, Redmond, Wiggins making those amazing plays on the drives, and I get goosebumps. I don't remember crying for any victory, but the closest I've come is Super Bowl XXXVI and 2004 World Series.

Last edited:
that just gave me shivers watching that again

2001 was the most surreal year of my life. I had just entered my freshman year in a state far from home, Penn State. Needless to say no more then 2 weeks after I moved away from my family for the first time 9/11 struck. Sadly, growing up in CT I knew over a dozen people in that building. I did not have many friends at the time because no one from my high school came with me from PSU, however everyone on my dorm floor was able to get closer to one another through football during those tough times. I was the only Patriot fan, the rest were mostly Steelers or Eagles fans. Which was ironic because both teams were still in it and looking dominant. I was sort of the mascot of the group, sure I was there but no one took me seriously. As a lifetime Patriot fan it was even difficult to take myself seriously. I recall everyone giving me a hug after Bledsoe went down and said better luck next year. But then I met Tom Terrific...

The whole floor came into my room that night to cheer me on as most hated the Raiders, plus they were so excited to see some football as their teams were winning and winning big. When Tommy dropped the ball, it was difficult to explain what I was feeling. I had never been more proud of a team in my life and I was sorry to see it end, but I told everyone in that room that I had never been happier to be a Patriot fan as they had helped carry me through the most difficult semester imaginable. When I looked up and it was overturned I did not know what to say or feel, the entire room was in agreement that it was a fumble. Everyone I knew from that point forward resented the Patriots but I didn't care, my team still had a chance, and I was beginning to become more confident in them then ever before.

When Adam kicked his second field goal in OT it was snowing pretty hard outside in PA. In practically no clothes I ran outside and didn't stop for what seemed hours. I recall looking at the flurries in the lights on the steets and never remembering a more beautiful moment. The Patriots had done the impossible and it showed me that there was no reason I could not do the same. Obviously the rest was history, but I do not hesitate to say that was one of the happiest and most meaningful days of my life.

I was lucky enough to attend this game. My wife surprised me by

paying thru the nose for two tickets from Seacoast Ticket Agency

for my son and myself.

I had seen the very first Pats game in 1960 but had never attended a playoff

game. I was obviously very disappointed when Brady fumbled the ball.

Then, the play was reviewed and the tuck rule surfaced for the first time.

Shortly afterward, the game was tied up and later Adam won the game in

overtime.

On the wall behind me is a frame containing two pictures of the winning

kick. Someone at my daughter's office took a camera to the game. If

you look closely, you can see the ball in the air.

I expected so little at the start of that season but that team and their determination sucked me into the drama. When the forecast was for snow I thought they had a chance but during the game it really looked like the Raiders had adapted better than the Pats.

I changed the channel (which I sometimes do when I can't stand the strain) during the "tuck" challenge, so when I flipped back I had expected to see the Raiders with the ball and running out the clock.

When the ball sailed through the uprights to tie I was thrilled, when they won I was delirious. It was a great.

I will never forget that game. It was easily one of my favorite games ever. I was a senior at UM, and living in a condo off campus. One of my roommates had left, so we had the entire front room as a game room, complete with big TV. After watching Philly dismantle the Bears, it was on to the main event. As soon as I saw the snow, I was giddy. We were excited to see Tommy start his first playoff game, and were certain he'd pull it off. I remember when it was 13-3 midway through the 4th, knowing he'd put something together. When he scored and spiked the ball, we went crazy. I was watching with a girl who's sister dated Charles Woodson. When Charles forced the fumble, she was ecstatic. When it was overturned, I knew the Pats would win. I remember the feeling in my gut as we lined up for a 45 yard FG. I remember the clutch drive in OT, and when we won the game, doing faux snow angels on the carpet.

I also remember later that spring having a conversation with Woodson about that play, and him bitterly insisting that it was a fumble. I just smiled, and tipped my SB champs cap.

I remember sitting in the parking lot tailgating before the game and watching the snow come down through the light of the streetlights, everything was just surreal. Then during the game watching the guys (wearing shorts!) with the leaf blowers blowing the snow off the yard lines....

Of course the hightlight was Adam's kick through the snow, there was no way to see the ball through the snow, and I could barely see the officials under the goal post, I was leaning so far forward when I finally realized it was good I just kind of landed on the people in front of me, but no one cared, it was just a huge celebration at that point!

I remember sitting in the parking lot tailgating before the game and watching the snow come down through the light of the streetlights, everything was just surreal. Then during the game watching the guys (wearing shorts!) with the leaf blowers blowing the snow off the yard lines....

Of course the hightlight was Adam's kick through the snow, there was no way to see the ball through the snow, and I could barely see the officials under the goal post, I was leaning so far forward when I finally realized it was good I just kind of landed on the people in front of me, but no one cared, it was just a huge celebration at that point!

I was in section 207 and I am with you . I couldn't see the ball either. Every asks me about it too and there was no way to make it out. The tailgating was surreal. Easily the coolest tailgating ever. I felt like I was in a mountain ski lodge with the giant flakes. I remember the rugby scrums in the zig zag bathrooms entrance foxboro stadium had. Everybody was racing to not miss any action and were climbing on each other to get in and back. It was bedlam. We came in the south gates and I remember that it became such a cluster f that they finally just opened the fences and let everybody in. Nobody ever checked my ticket as well as a lot others. A night I'll never forget.

3 to be 4, thanks for the YouTube and very nice post. What others haven't said already: another thing that stood out to me during the game was the Patriots and Brady going off on, what was it, 15 or so consecutive passes without a single run mixed in to get back into the game with Brady's TD. Any other coach would have mixed in runs, using up time and there wouldn't have been time for the second drive that tied the game. If you think about it, they couldn't complete a long pass because of the near zero visibility conditions, so they had to go with all short passes and a lot of no huddles. This was the first major message to me of the special pair we had in Belichick and Brady (Weis, etc.) to pull off an all passing game in a major snowstorm to manufacture that come from behind win.

I was living out west near San Francisco at the time, and I remember taping the game because I had the ex-wifes family over that weekend. Though I was taping it, I kept sneaking into the bedroom to get updates. I just remember thinking, wow, this Brady kid is really showing his stuff (after they were down 13-3), and I got really excited when the Pats stopped a 3rd and 1 (I believe) to get the ball back for their final drive. I was kind of dumbfounded when the whole Brady fumble/tuck thing happened. When it happened and they called it a fumble I was a little sad, but still impressed none the less. then when it was overturned, I was shocked/thrilled. That Vinitieri kick that tied the game was the greatest kick I've ever seen.

I was at the game too, I agree with the surreal atmosphere in the parking lot. I remember everybody kept saying that something special was going to happen. I vividly remember walking into the stadium and another surreal moment was looking out at the field. Everything was incredibly bright because of the lights reflecting off the snow. When Brady fumbled I was the only one in my row with a radio, I remember everyone was starting to leave and I heard that they were going to review and that Gino was saying that it looked like an incomplete pass so I yelled that to everyone and people started to go back to their seats. On AV's field goal, everyone in my section (311) could see it and I remember there was big groan because from the stands it looked like a wounded duck which had no chance, I couldn't believe it when the official raised his hands. Most of all I will always remember the atmosphere in the stadium that night. I think with all that has happened since we tend to forget how happy everyone was that they had just made the playoffs. We were playing with house money that night and I think it made for an incredibly festive, got nothing to lose, atmosphere. I have been to many sporting events in my life but nothing compares to the overall experience of that night.

that just gave me shivers watching that again

:agree: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I was just thinking yesterday that it was a bit of a disappointment that we didn't get one Pats game in the snow this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes