PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm already worried about the Vikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogan2767

Banned
Reaction score
Not for any real significant reason, other than it's a road game against a good team.

It's more because I have a sports addiciton and sports team related esteem issue. In the 80s I used to go into signifacant depression as a teen when the Celtics would finsh a season without the title.

Amazingly, the Patriots have taken that over for me, even in my later thirties. (Who would have thought the patriots would have become this good?)

Last year after the Denver loss, I felt devasted for a while. I went to bed at night imagining going 19-0 the next year and getting number four and continuing th dynasty. Just some random thougts.

I'll be much more worried if seymour is out, because McKinnie and Hutch are no slouches.

I think everybody here was pretty devestated after the Bronco's knocked us out, including myself. I felt the same way. The Vikings also have me a bit worried but I think the Pats are really starting to come together now. I wish this was a sunday game because we have to face the Colts next week on a short week but we're still going to rock their world.

I think the Vikings are a pretty solid football team. I see no reason why we should not be able to handle them. I like this game because it will further test us. Will or run attack get on track? Can we pass to victory if the run game stalls?

I consider games against the Bills, Jets and Dolphins as tune up games. Games against the Vikes, Denver and the Colts are the true test games.

heres soemthing that could very well be a factor

Patriots are near bottom in penalties

Vikings near top

Eh, the Vikes look like every other "good, but not great" team the Pats have played in recent years. They tend to beat these types of teams.

They'll take away whatever they view as the Vikings strength. They'll allow them some yardage but won't allow any easy touchdowns. The offense will run a conservative gameplan, attempting to control time of possession and wearing down the defense so that they'll tired in the second half.

The game will be close in the first half, with the Pats pulling away in the second.

Turnovers will alter this, either giving the Pats more breathing room or forcing them to come back to win.

Rinse, repeat.

Remix 6 said:
heres soemthing that could very well be a factor

Patriots are near bottom in penalties

Vikings near top

Confused - does that we mean we're among the least penalized and the Vikings among the most penalized?

QB12

QB12 said:
Confused - does that we mean we're among the least penalized and the Vikings among the most penalized?

QB12

yes thats correct.

QB12 said:

QB12

Yep..I'm assuming

QB12 said:

QB12

yeah. were bottom 5 penalized they are top 5

With the Vikes overpowering O-line, will we play more 4-3? Pretty hard to hold back the right side of that line, esp. if Sey has an injured left wing. (That's his dominant side.)

Last edited:
I think the Pats win relatively easily, and I actually like Minny.

patsox23 said:
I think the Pats win relatively easily, and I actually like Minny.

I think that we're going to be able to handle their offense without too much trouble - none of their WRs really scare me - their young guy williamson has some potential but he has only shown flashes so far, and chester taylor is a solid RB but he is more of a power type back, which i think our D is better at stopping than a quicker, more agile back such as T. Bell or LT

however,their D is pretty awesome as well, so it should come down to who executes their plays better, and in that department, i always take the pats.
so yes, we should win, but it could come down to the wire.

One aspect not commented on is the idea that Min. relies heavily on the field position battle. Add in the factor that they're terrible on special teams this year (I've watched most of their games with my dad, a huge Vikes fan) coupled with our dominant ST play and I think we're gonna be fine barring many mistakes.

CheerforTom said:
One aspect not commented on is the idea that Min. relies heavily on the field position battle. Add in the factor that they're terrible on special teams this year (I've watched most of their games with my dad, a huge Vikes fan) coupled with our dominant ST play and I think we're gonna be fine barring many mistakes.

Greetings from a Vikings fan.

I have to disagree about the Vikes being terrible on special teams. They rank 9th in kickoff return Average allowed, 14th in punt return average allowed, 8th in kickoff return avg and 16th in punt return average. While not worldbeaters they have been slightly above average on special teams.

Another thing I like the Pats over the Vikes: BB over Brad Childress. First year coach, off to a great start, but I will take the 3-time SB coach, thank you.

Minnesota Mike said:
Greetings from a Vikings fan.

I have to disagree about the Vikes being terrible on special teams. They rank 9th in kickoff return Average allowed, 14th in punt return average allowed, 8th in kickoff return avg and 16th in punt return average. While not worldbeaters they have been slightly above average on special teams.

It's hard to argue about stats, so I guess you have me there, but all I know is that every time the Vikes kick off it seems like they allow huge runbacks. My dad tends to be a pessimist, but I don't know if we've ever watched them on ST without him yelping in dismay during the play. All I'm doing is adding in Lawrence Maroney into the equation.

Last edited:
edgecy said:
Another thing I like the Pats over the Vikes: BB over Brad Childress. First year coach, off to a great start, but I will take the 3-time SB coach, thank you.

I don't think even the most delusional Viking fan would take Chidress over Belicheck. That having been said I have been really impressed with Childress so far. Although when you take over for Mike Tice it is hard not to look good in comparison.

Minnesota Mike said:
I don't think even the most delusional Viking fan would take Chidress over Belicheck. That having been said I have been really impressed with Childress so far. Although when you take over for Mike Tice it is hard not to look good in comparison.

He has done quite well for himself so far though. They've gone from the most scandalized team in the league to one that is respected and meets success. You guys just get screwed being in the same division as the Bears, otherwise I'd think you were a playoff team for sure.

CheerforTom said:
You guys just get screwed being in the same division as the Bears, otherwise I'd think you were a playoff team for sure.

While I don't think they will catch the Bears i do think the vikes will get a wildcard spot. Besides the game vs the Patriots and @ Chicago the remainder of their schedule is pretty soft (Green Bay (2), Detroit, Arizona, @SF, @Miami).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents