PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Pats are interested in AJ Feeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the unthinkable happened in a month? Perhaps having backups for key players in good idea as an alternative to giving up the season.

Have we forgotten last year so quickly? It wasn't the quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school that kept us out of the playoffs.

It will take a few weeks for a QB to learn the system and be better than Hoyer (or not). This is a discussion every year. And every year, there are those who want us to carry a 2nd quarterback who has started an NFL game on our roster and those who prefer to essentially forfeit the game and the season if Brady is injured.

Last year, Belichick considered Cassel ready after four years of training. Perhaps Hoyer will be as ready for the 2011 season. In the meantime, having a backup is a good idea.

I kinda think that if Bill were really interested in signing a vet QB as a legit backup/sub for Brady, then that vet would've been signed shortly after Cassel had been traded.

As of now, however, if Brady is hurt tonight, then we're finished. There is no vet available who can learn the playbook in time to salvage the season, should the unthinkable happen again. So why bother to sign one now?

And if the unthinkable happened in a month? Perhaps having backups for key players in good idea as an alternative to giving up the season.

Have we forgotten last year so quickly? It wasn't the quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school that kept us out of the playoffs.

It will take a few weeks for a QB to learn the system and be better than Hoyer (or not). This is a discussion every year. And every year, there are those who want us to carry a 2nd quarterback who has started an NFL game on our roster and those who prefer to essentially forfeit the game and the season if Brady is injured.

Last year, Belichick considered Cassel ready after four years of training. Perhaps Hoyer will be as ready for the 2011 season. In the meantime, having a backup is a good idea.

The problem is it will take ANY veteran several weeks to get remotely comfortable within this offense. No one on the list has an experience that would remotely shorten that curve other than Huard. And he can't make a roster anywhere else as a #3 anymore.

I'm sure most of you firmly believed we would forfeit games due to Cassel's lack of starting experience dating back to HS. Didn't happen. Belichick considered Cassel ready in his second season. Didn't consider KOC ready in his and likely saw little potential to ever be ready. Ditto Gutierrez and Walter. It's always a risk reward but likely because of the value of roster spots one where BB has decided to err on the side of not adding a player with limited position value or upside. Doesn't matter who you are (hyped to be) or where you've been or what you've done if you can't play well enough to get on the field here. They have as good a chance of coaching this kid up as they do some failed jag who is available for good reason...

AJ signed with the Panthers. So that's that.

Adam Schefter (Adam_Schefter) on Twitter

If the Pats were interested, that is the thing that sucks about having your first game on Monday night. They couldn't have signed him until tomorrow to not guarantee his salary.

Oh well, maybe the Pats were never interested anyway.

So, let's say it takes 8 weeks for a QB to be more effective than Hoyer. That would mean that a QB could be signed tomorrow and be ready for the last half of the season and for the playoffs.

I do not understand those who do not want to take out insurance for the last half of the year.

The problem is it will take ANY veteran several weeks to get remotely comfortable within this offense. No one on the list has an experience that would remotely shorten that curve other than Huard. And he can't make a roster anywhere else as a #3 anymore.

I'm sure most of you firmly believed we would forfeit games due to Cassel's lack of starting experience dating back to HS. Didn't happen. Belichick considered Cassel ready in his second season. Didn't consider KOC ready in his and likely saw little potential to ever be ready. Ditto Gutierrez and Walter. It's always a risk reward but likely because of the value of roster spots one where BB has decided to err on the side of not adding a player with limited position value or upside. Doesn't matter who you are (hyped to be) or where you've been or what you've done if you can't play well enough to get on the field here. They have as good a chance of coaching this kid up as they do some failed jag who is available for good reason...

There's always Jeff Garcia.

So, let's say it takes 8 weeks for a QB to be more effective than Hoyer. That would mean that a QB could be signed tomorrow and be ready for the last half of the season and for the playoffs.

I do not understand those who do not want to take out insurance for the last half of the year.

I don't understand those who do not grasp what it takes to run this offense.

There is no Tom Brady Insurance, at least on the market as of right now (or even as of last night). Insurance is supposed to replace something if a contingency occurs. If Brady gets hurt, no one is going to come in and replace him at a level sufficient to get to another SB, so I really have no problem with not wasting money or other resources on these guys.

To be fair, it's not like there's a big sample size to judge Sorgi's play on.

I mentioned him to give you an idea what the going rate is for a guy who is the classic backup...He's like Santa, you never see him until December rolls around........
Sample size is small but pay is good if you can get it...
Feely would be nuts to sign w Philly, only to be cut in 3 weeks. Let them suffer and he will probably sign with Carolina as has been reported..He could be starting in 2 weeks if Jake keeps throwing picks. I can't decide if Delhomme or Cutler had a worse day..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye