PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Edelman walks, select an alternative WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cotchery can come in and be the WR3/WR4 without an ego issue, should be less expensive, and isn't overrated.

Sanders thinks he's a WR1/WR2 when he's more like a subpar WR2 or a WR3, he'll want to be overpaid for the role, and he'll be unhappy about being option 5-6 in on the chart.

Gronk
Amendola
Dobson
Vereen
TE2(?)

Just my take. Plenty of others seem to disagree.

You could be right...I have that fear, too, a bit, but I think it's more a Mike Wallace hangover.

Ftr, I really like Cotchery, too. I've seen him chew us up enough times to believe.

Amendola
Dobson
Cotchery
Thompkins
Boyce
Collie

Gronk
Niklas/Amaro/Ebron/Austin Seferian-Jenkins (someone available in round 2)

If Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins fall to the Patriots in round one, I reserve the right to change my mind. :D

Barring something unforseen happening, like a DUI stop with a prostitute sitting shotgun, there's less than a snowball's chance in Hell of Watkins making it to #29. If the team that selects him runs a simple enough offense, he'll make an instantaneous impact in the league. Guy is ridiculously good.

As for TE, I like ASJ as our move TE. He should be available in day two and possibly beyond and should be able to see quality snaps starting in Week 1 in a 2TE set. Like Niklas as well. Amaro I'm not as high on and Ebron should be gone by the time the Pats are up.

Maclin, Tate or Cotchery.

My two cents. It would have to be someone capable of playing the slot in case Amendola goes down (who I think projects to being Edelman's replacement if he leaves).

Therefore, my top four:
- Andre Roberts
- Cotchery
- Sanders
- McCluster

I would LOVE to see James Jones here, but not sure if he is a fit.

My two cents. It would have to be someone capable of playing the slot in case Amendola goes down (who I think projects to being Edelman's replacement if he leaves).

Therefore, my top four:
- Andre Roberts
- Cotchery
- Sanders
- McCluster

I would LOVE to see James Jones here, but not sure if he is a fit.

If/when Amendola goes down again, I think we'll see a good amount of Boyce in the slot.

True, but would you be comfortable leaving arguably the most important receiving position in this offense to a raw receiver? Depth is a good thing. And yes, I'm assuming Amendola will go down early and often again next year. :bricks:

Lots of uncertainty regarding whether we will have the ability to re-sign minitron. If he does in fact walk, who on this list do you see as affordable alternatives?

I wonder if the Pats will take a second shot at Sanders.

List from Rotoworld:
Top free agent WRs.

1. Eric Decker
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Hakeem Nicks
4. Julian Edelman
5. Golden Tate
6. James Jones
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Andre Roberts
9. Emmanuel Sanders
10. Riley Cooper
11. Danario Alexander
12. Jacoby Jones
13. Dexter McCluster
14. Brandon LaFell
15. Kenny Britt
16. Damian Williams
17. Jerricho Cotchery
18. Ted Ginn
19. Jerome Simpson
20. Jacoby Ford
21. Robert Meachem
22. Austin Collie
23. Andre Caldwell
24. Santana Moss
25. Marc Mariani
26. Josh Morgan
27. Mario Manningham
28. Darrius Heyward-Bey
29. Domenik Hixon
30. Devin Hester

I do not like signing free agent WRs personally

• Mike Wallace
Wes Welker
• Danny Amendola
Pierre Garcon
• Darrius Heyward-Bey
• Greg Jennings
• Braylon Edwards
• Laurent Robinson
• Steve Smith
• Mario Manningham
• Brandon Lloyd
• Robert Meachem
Vincent Jackson
• Jerome Simpson
• Sidney Rice
• Mike Sims-Walker
• Steve Breaston
• Antonio Bryant
• Chad Johnson
• Antwaan Randle El
• Laveranues Coles
• Nate Burleson
• Terrell Owens
• T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Take a look at the bigger name WRs who changed teams during free agency since 2009. How many of them have actually worked out well. I bolded the ones I would view as good signings.

Personally, if Edelman walked I would put an offer in on Doug Baldwin who is a restricted free agent with Seattle. I think he is a great fit for this offense and would excel in the slot here, I also think that between Harvin and Tate the Seahawks will not pay big for him.
  • Dates: 03/17/11
  • Height: 5096
  • Weight: 189
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.48
  • 20 Yard Dash: 2.53
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.54
  • 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 06
  • Vertical Jump: 37
  • Broad Jump: 10'03"
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.26
  • 3-Cone Drill: 6.56
Doug Baldwin Stats - Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

Doug Baldwin | Stanford, WR : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Can the pats afford to let Edelman walk? Him and brady were outstanding last year. Would it be wise to let another one of bradys favorite targets walk? I know Brady would say no big deal..but deep down he would hate it.

He is older and needs stability. Another year having to get antiquated with new WRs is not worth it IMO.

McCluster is an interesting one, given his return abilities as well. You know that BB likes guys that can perform more than one function. I'm not sure if his physical stature would allow him to be as durable as he would need to be in that position in this offense. But he is a pretty dynamic player.

Can the pats afford to let Edelman walk? Him and brady were outstanding last year. Would it be wise to let another one of bradys favorite targets walk? I know Brady would say no big deal..but deep down he would hate it.

He is older and needs stability. Another year having to get antiquated with new WRs is not worth it IMO.

Agreed. This is a completely hypothetical thread. But if some nutjob team (ie jets) offer him over $5M a year, he'll be gone.

Barring something unforseen happening, like a DUI stop with a prostitute sitting shotgun, there's less than a snowball's chance in Hell of Watkins making it to #29. If the team that selects him runs a simple enough offense, he'll make an instantaneous impact in the league. Guy is ridiculously good.

As for TE, I like ASJ as our move TE. He should be available in day two and possibly beyond and should be able to see quality snaps starting in Week 1 in a 2TE set. Like Niklas as well. Amaro I'm not as high on and Ebron should be gone by the time the Pats are up.

I was a big Niklas fan at first blush. A second look has me a bit more worried, though (admittedly, I was dog tired when I focused on him the second time). I saw a big guy who doesn't seem to show big guy power on contact often enough. I'll look him over again after the combine, but I thought more about Sudfeld than Gronk when I watched him catching the ball on the second go around.

If/when Amendola goes down again, I think we'll see a good amount of Boyce in the slot.

Good post. Excellent observation Cousin. Our biggest problem without Gronk is red zone passing. I don't want smurfs. We need a move TE for sure. Cotchery is a pretty good red zone WR even though not huge at 6"1" and 200lbs. But bigger than Edelman or Amendola. He should be reasonable.
I think you can use Riley Copper in Hernadez situationa and he can play slot, move TE or oustide the numbers. He is young (stupid but learning) and is a 6'3" target with 8 Tds from basically a rookie QB.

I like Mackin but kind of smallish and so is Sanders.

Two for sure CAPeroos are Owen Daniels at TE and Sidney Rice a 6'4" WR. The kid has had some injuries in the past but he has speed size and is a 8-10 TD per year guy with a mediocre QB passing game...Brady? When healthy he is a 50 plus catch guy who can stretch the field at 15ypc. He is only 27. We would take Macklin and Amendola with health issues. We Drafted Boyce who was hurt. Why not a one year deal?

I would still love an Andre Johnson Trade but that might be complicated and expensive. I'd love Bolden but he is already penciled in as the SF #2 WR. They will resign the dude.

So on the cheap, Sidney Rice, Riley Cooper and Cotchery if Edelman walks. You might be able to get all three from what some are saying Edelman's market value is. Amendola and the three kids plus maybe Moe and Harrison and you pick the best.

I think Boyce and Moe are your slot guys.With Cooper in the red zone at slot.

DW Toys

DW Toys

So on the cheap, Sidney Rice, Riley Cooper and Cotchery if Edelman walks. You might be able to get all three from what some are saying Edelman's market value is. Amendola and the three kids plus maybe Moe and Harrison and you pick the best.

My problem with this is that it seems a sudden reversal or normal trends. Slot receivers tend to be undervalued, and down-the-field receivers somewhat overvalued.

So how, all of a sudden, do you get all three of those receivers for less than Edelman?

Sanders would be my choice to replace Edelman but if the price goes too high then Maclin on a one year deal makes a lot of sense. I don't want anything to do with Nicks or Britt and would never pay decker what he is going to be looking for.

Amendola
Dobson
Cotchery
Thompkins
Boyce
Collie

Gronk
Niklas/Amaro/Ebron/Austin Seferian-Jenkins (someone available in round 2)

If Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins fall to the Patriots in round one, I reserve the right to change my mind. :D

We seem to be in agreement that WR is not a big need and that TE2 is.

You included a cheaper vet option like Cotchery and went for a returner in Hester but I think I like your plan better as I dont know how much Hester has left and how well he would fit here.

We invested heavily at WR last year and we got a bonus UDFA in KT and unless you think BB is going to completely give up on all 3 rooks and Amendola after one year then WR is not a big need.

I was a big Niklas fan at first blush. A second look has me a bit more worried, though (admittedly, I was dog tired when I focused on him the second time). I saw a big guy who doesn't seem to show big guy power on contact often enough. I'll look him over again after the combine, but I thought more about Sudfeld than Gronk when I watched him catching the ball on the second go around.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the draft or in FA, I've become convinced that Calvin Pryor needs to be our pick at #29 if available. That boy can lay the lumber on WR's, TE's, and RB's out of the backfield and is very solid in coverage. I posted this in the draft forum yesterday, but it's worth sharing here too. When is the last time you saw a Pats safety lay a hit like that? Meriweather? And even then, Meriweather wasn't using his shoulder. He was using his head and launching while drawing 15 yard penalties. Calvin Pryor? DO WANT.

EDIT: This is from the same game.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the draft or in FA, I've become convinced that Calvin Pryor needs to be our pick at #29 if available. That boy can lay the lumber on WR's, TE's, and RB's out of the backfield and is very solid in coverage. I posted this in the draft forum yesterday, but it's worth sharing here too. When is the last time you saw a Pats safety lay a hit like that? Meriweather? And even then, Meriweather wasn't using his shoulder. He was using his head and launching while drawing 15 yard penalties. Calvin Pryor? DO WANT.

I wish there were some way to get Pryor and Donald.

That would make me soooo happy.

I wish there were some way to get Pryor and Donald.

That would make me soooo happy.

Me too but, out of the two, I'd rather take Pryor and put raw, athletic physicality back in the back end of the defense that hasn't been there since Rodney retired. Pryor is exceptionally bright on the field as well. Handled the pre-snap assignments, etc.

Draft a legit safety
Cut Gregory
Put cap savings toward DT

That would work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand