PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3. I'd like to see the Pats extend Vince, but I'd like to see it don't in a rather novel way, compared to the way deals are done these days. I'd go to Vince and offer him a 5 year $50MM deal that starts in the year 2010, and has NO signing bonus. Instead it would be 5 yrs at $10MM/yr with $32MM GUARANTEED. In essence the Pats would guarantee the first 3 years of the deal (the years of his potential highest productivity) and then guarantee a million a year of the $10MM salaries in the final 2 years of the contract.

I've PMed Miguel--I'm not sure this would be allowed right now because of the 30% rule involving renegotiated contracts in 2009.

That said, I do know that half of the money guaranteed after 2012 would hit the 2009 cap.

Re: Idle thoughts.....

I wouldn't be suprised to see a trade for draft picks for Seymour.
Hmm, that's odd. Most people ARE suprised when something extremely unlikely happens.

you are right Jarvis makes big plays Seymour does not

Your serious? Jarvis Green was MIA last season.

Anyways, my only gripe is that the Pats need to address the LB situation. Collectively, they have one of the worst 3-4 LB's in the league. I might be the only one who thinks this but Adalius Thomas is proving to be a little overpaid. The dude needs to take a pay cut. The Pats have many question marks going into this season.

Who is going to start in the middle along side Jerod Mayo? I really hope Guyton has a fantastic camp because that would add a lot of speed inside and help in covering those damn TE's. Also, it will allow Thomas to start making his money by getting after the QB.

Who is going to start on the outside? I will be rooting heavily for either whoever the Pats draft, Jason Taylor or Shawn Crable. TBC or Woods doesn't do it for me.

For all the people that criticize Seymour, his play would be a hell of a lot better if the Pats would surround him with better talent with their LB's. When your 3-4 D-lineman are counted on to be the team's pass rush, you've got problems. Seymour's whole career has been playing with mostly slow LB's that relied heavily on scheme and smarts. Thomas was supposed to come in and take care of that but their other LB's can't guard the f****** TE.

Take DeMarcus Ware for example, this guy makes his whole team better than they really are. Their f****** NT had 8 sacks this season and a trip to the pro bowl. Now it might be impossible to find another DeMarcus Ware, but you get what I'm talking about. The Pats D-line is the best 3-4 line in the NFL, hands down. I find it very odd that BB doesn't value LB's more than he does because that is where you get your pass rush. The Steelers get it when it comes to finding talent to run a 3-4. Year in and year out, their defense is flying to the ball and getting after the QB. Obviously, they have a great scheme. However, their players are very fast and athletic. My point is, give Seymour, Wilfork and Warren LB's that can make plays and their play will be a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:

For whatever reason, it seems that a lot of people on this board don't rate Seymour highly.

It's not just that, although the fraction of the time his productivity is injury-diminished can be distressing.

He also doesn't seem like the most bought-in of happy campers.

BB trades away a solid anchor to the all-important D-Line for what? Draft picks THIS year? NFW. Not without someone proven solid to assume his role. It's important to push hard for another ring or two with GOAT Brady in his prime.

Agreed. Seymour will be in NE for one more season.

3. I'd like to see the Pats extend Vince, but I'd like to see it don't in a rather novel way, compared to the way deals are done these days. I'd go to Vince and offer him a 5 year $50MM deal that starts in the year 2010, and has NO signing bonus. Instead it would be 5 yrs at $10MM/yr with $32MM GUARANTEED. In essence the Pats would guarantee the first 3 years of the deal (the years of his potential highest productivity) and then guarantee a million a year of the $10MM salaries in the final 2 years of the contract.

This method allows that there is no cap consequense THIS year. It pays Vince a fair (IMHO) compensation for being an elite DLman, although at a position (NT) that limits the teams he'd be suitable in FA. It also Guaratees $32MM which is comparable to the Haynesworth contract. Which btw, is really a 4 year $48MM contract with $39MM guaranteed. Haynworth's is worth a bit more, but he's a more impactful player than Vince.
Just a thought.

Can't be done because of the 30% rule.

The following come into effect:
"Guaranteed Contracts. Any portion of Salary for which a Team fully guarantees payment for skill or injury shall be included in Team Salary during the year earned, except that: (i) In a Player Contract entered into in a Capped Year, Salary fully guaranteed for League Years after the
Final Capped Year will be included in Team Salary for the preceding League Years in which the Salary Cap is in effect, in any manner the Team chooses, if payment of the player’s entire salary for the Final Capped Year is
not fully guaranteed. For example, without limitation on any other applicable example, and if the Salary Cap is in effect during the 2010 and 2011 League Years, and the player enters into a four-year contract which is not
fully guaranteed for the 2011 League Year, which is the Final Capped Year, but is fully guaranteed for the 2012 and 2013 League Years, which are Uncapped Years, then the full amount of the guaranteed Salary for the 2012
and 2013 League Years will be included in Salary and Team Salary for the 2010 and 2011 League Years in a proportion determined by the Team.
(ii) In a Player Contract entered into in a Capped Year, 50% of the Salary fully guaranteed for any League Year beyond three years after the Final Capped Year will be included in Salary and Team Salary during the League Year or Years of the Contract in which the Salary Cap is in effect in a proportion to be determined by the Team

You:Seymour = DWToys:Sanders

That's very weak. You should move your show elsewhere.
I wish I had the inside access these folks do. Myself, when I slow down the recording and focus on individual performance it winds up looking like Seymour is playing at an All-Pro level when healthy, and even when injured - he has more then enough Mawae-like OL cheap shotting him - he still makes plays. The coach's grades on Sey (and Sanders, James) that our vocal and scathing fellows must be reading clearly contradict my lying eyes.

I wish I had the inside access these folks do. Myself, when I slow down the recording and focus on individual performance it winds up looking like Seymour is playing at an All-Pro level when healthy, and even when injured - he has more then enough Mawae-like OL cheap shotting him - he still makes plays. The coach's grades on Sey (and Sanders, James) that our vocal and scathing fellows must be reading clearly contradict my lying eyes.

Box et. al. it's clear that our older eyes fail to see the insights that these kids see. The game has passed us by. Us old fans have failed to see that...

1. Cassel should be CUT
2. Brady should be traded
3. Seymour should be traded
4. Sanders' signing was a waste of money

Last edited:

I just wish the coaches and front office could see what these folks do. Hell, then this team might be somewaht successful.

Box et. al. it's clear that our older eyes fail to see the insights that these kids see. The game has passed us by. Us old fans have failed to see that...

1. Cassel should be CUT
The only thing that makes me feel older is T-Shirtdynasty making a Patten joke and then having to read a spacecrime classical history lesson of the aboriginal patsfans from their hunter-gatherer days.

I just wish the coaches and front office could see what these folks do. Hell, then this team might be somewaht successful.
**sigh** If only this team could truly recover and do something praiseworthy.

The only thing that makes me feel older is T-Shirtdynasty making a Patten joke and then having to read a spacecrime classical history lesson of the aboriginal patsfans from their hunter-gatherer days.

Ha, same here. It was with a sense of price and shame when I realized how many posters don't even get patsfans patent Patten joke.

1. Cassel should be CUT
I admit, though it took me 3 pre-season games, that even if they didn't cut Cassel, they should at least let Gutierrez start the 4th preseason game.

There are times Belichick is truly sublime.

I admit, though it took me 3 pre-season games, that even if they didn't cut Cassel, they should at least let Gutierrez start the 4th preseason game.

There are times Belichick is truly sublime.

I'm not saying that I didn't post that Cassel was horrible in the pre-season. However, by the end of camp it was clear to me that BB had a different requirements list and perceived him (Cassel) differently. Given his astute insight into QBs, that was enough for me. and once Cassel played in the regular season, I was willing to observe him with fresh eyes and allow him some games to find his grove.

KC got a quality player.

Or maybe the front office has recognized the superior abilities of Jarvis Green over Richard Seymour, and his excessive time on the bench rather than his use in place of Seymour is the equivalent of stockpiling nuclear weapons for when they are really needed.

I read that quote and immediately thought of the LT quote from The Waterboy: "Which brings me to my second point, kids. Don't do crack."

I like Jarvis Green and he is supposedly one of the better pure pass rushers on the team, but he is nowhere near the pure defensive linemen Seymour is. If these personnel wizards think they know defensive linemen, they may want to consult the Steelers fan site for a contrary view ("Though debatable, I'd say that Seymour is considered the league's top 3-4 defensive end. If not the best, certainly he's on the short list.").

As far as the commentary on Seymour being injury prone (not from you Patjew), he was hurt playing fullback when he incurred his knee injury, not DLine, played 15 games last season, and only had shortened seasons in 2005 and 2007, when he supposedly started the season hurt. For a guy with 8 seasons under his belt, that isn't particularly bad.

No way I see Seymour traded, nor do I see the Pats letting Wilfork go. Of all positions on the team, defensive linemen apparently rank highest on Belichick's list of defensive personnel priorities. The 3-4 just doesn't work without them, and I do not see Belichick changing from his defense of choice. Given the Patriots typical draft position, they just won't find another Seymour unless they trade up.

Last edited:

Let me guess....... they don't drug test where you work.

That or he works for the Patriots and his name is Jarvis Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes