PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - The reflective edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. Manning if nothing else sells tickets and what' the alternative Brock Osweiler? No they'll ride him until the end.

Trading for, or drafting for a new QB? Bledsoe put butts in the seats too. And what's the fastest way to kill a franchise's bottom line? Get the QB killed because you can't afford any talent around him.

I'm absolutely serious when I say that Denver might very well need to make decision as to whether to keep Manning or some other skills players. He's only got so many years left before he develops Brett Favre syndrome.

Would have liked th e OP, but switched for the mentalist? You only get 16 reg season games a year, cherish each one.
While there are at least 16 regular season games per year, there was only ONE Red John reveal in a story line that's run around 5 years. And I have no tivo or dvr ;)

Patfanken, Dobson was switched out because KT was more suited for what the offense needed to do to win. It was many quick passes and play action. Not what Dobson is best for. Dobson is the almost strict x receiver that stretches the field. With the oline sucking the 1st half, there wasn't really a chance for Dobson to complete his role. So KT came in. But what we have seen, KT and Dobson are 2 very special receivers. And the fact they have played a lot of games and snaps is going to start paying off when we hit important games.
While you could be 100% correct, I'm not sure. Dobson has been effective on slant patterns and slip screens. He's been a lot more than just a down field field stretcher. I have to think its more than that, whatever it is.

I find this shocking coming from you. Even when they're shytting the bed, I still watch every play.
Clearly you're a better man than I, Tune. I can only aspire to that kind of pristine fandom. ;)

This wasn't my first time either. It all started back in 2001 when I shut the TV off after Tom Brady's "fumble" and went to my computer to give my congratulations to fans I'd been conversing with all week on a Raider message board at KFFL.

Imagine my surprise when I sent my congrats and got a reply saying, WTF are you talking about. The Pats got the ball back because of the "Tuck Rule" Even though I had no idea what the "tuck rule" was I rushed back to my TV just in time to see the Pats jumping up and down after Adam's kick. And the rest as you know was history.

I'd like to say the those Raider fans were as cordial in their congratulations as I had been, but they were pretty pissed. And like most of America who had never heard of the "tuck rule" I couldn't blame them. It looked like a fumble to me. It took until the next day when in retrospect the rule was fully explained, that I understood it was the correct and ONLY ruling there could have been. Still thought it was a dumb rule, and was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

So the reality is I'm a serial "switcher". A flawed fan who finds it too painful to watch my team get beat up. I did it last year too early in the SF game. I've probably done a half dozen times over the BB years. What's funny. When we sucked, I never did it.

Well thanks for letting me unburden my self. I will sleep much better now that the truth is out and I don't have to keep this shame to myself any longer

Ok, but who was Redjohn?
I learned my lesson when I turned the TV off on an easy field goal that was to win a game for the (Colts) I think. Took a lot of years, lots, but will never give up on this team. Told my brother that this year when he was moaning about all the defensive players out with injury. Do not bet against this team. Who would you bet on playing in this year's frigid SuperBowl?
Whenever I think of Ridley's fumbling problems I remember Tiki Barber's problems which finally were resolved (much worse if I remember).

I was surprised I watched the whole game....

Just gotta say: I loved seeing the spark Thompkins brought, and equally confoozed where Dobkins was?... hmmm.

Ridley can fix the fumble issue. Faulk and Tiki Barber did it ... he will have to commit to not letting his elbows out (or whatever the problem is). We ~need~ Ridley.

A little dismayed how easily Vellano was moved away from the middle.

Gotta say: NFL players, and especially the Patriots are made of tougher stuff than us fans... too many fans saying the Pats gave up in the 1st quarter... effin' really guys? And they gut it out in the 2nd half, refusing to lose? People, pleeze get an understanding from this... don't put your own feelings of "quit" onto the players. They didn't give up in the 1st half nor the 2nd... stouter stuff than I.

But isn't this *exactly* the frickin' game you want the rookies to experience? Denver was vaselined up by the media, and down 24-0, the Patriots Team (WTG special teams!) beats them.

Clearly you're a better man than I, Tune. I can only aspire to that kind of pristine fandom. ;)

"Pristine" isn't quite how I would term it, Ken. You just need to realize that adversity (and coming to terms with it either as player or fan) is inherent to the game. Pretty basic stuff, really.

While you could be 100% correct, I'm not sure. Dobson has been effective on slant patterns and slip screens. He's been a lot more than just a down field field stretcher. I have to think its more than that, whatever it is.
Dobson's lack of physicality showed up a lot in the game. He's not particularly good at beating press coverage. The Broncos implored that tactic and did a good job of shutting him down and making him a non-factor. He couldn't get open off the line. He's at his best with a free/clean release. Get up in his grill and he struggles.

Thompkins, of all the wide-outs, is probably the best of the bunch at beating press coverage and getting open quickly off the line along the perimeter. The decision to go with KT was a good one to make given the circumstances.

Broncos key free agents

2014:

Mike Adams, CB
Robert Ayers, DE/OLB
Zane Beadles, G
Tony Carter, CB (Restricted)
Eric Decker, WR
Chris Harris, CB (Restricted)
Quentin Jammer, CB
Dan Koppen, C
Wesley Woodyard, LB

2015:
Champ Bailey, CB
Orlando Franklin, T
Von Miller, DE/OLB
Rahim Moore, S
Knowshon Moreno, RB
Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
Julius Thomas, TE
Demaryius Thomas, WR
Kevin Vickerson, DT
Wes Welker, WR

Broncos key free agents

2014:

Mike Adams, CB
Robert Ayers, DE/OLB
Zane Beadles, G
Tony Carter, CB (Restricted)
Eric Decker, WR
Chris Harris, CB (Restricted)
Quentin Jammer, CB
Dan Koppen, C
Wesley Woodyard, LB

2015:
Champ Bailey, CB
Orlando Franklin, T
Von Miller, DE/OLB
Rahim Moore, S
Knowshon Moreno, RB
Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
Julius Thomas, TE
Demaryius Thomas, WR
Kevin Vickerson, DT
Wes Welker, WR

They should still be strong contenders in 2015. However, they have lots of big names they need to give extensions to after that. Miller, Moore, Moreno, Rodgers-Cromartie, Thomas, Vickerson, and Welker are all very important pieces.

Trading for, or drafting for a new QB? Bledsoe put butts in the seats too. And what's the fastest way to kill a franchise's bottom line? Get the QB killed because you can't afford any talent around him.

I'm absolutely serious when I say that Denver might very well need to make decision as to whether to keep Manning or some other skills players. He's only got so many years left before he develops Brett Favre syndrome.

If Bledsoe's backup was still John Friesz or Michael Bishop he would have gotten his job back. Denver won't get him killed because they'll over spend on that side of the ball to protect him and keep him happy.

We can agree to disagree. Elway loves him and isn't going to make that move.

With respect Ken, how is it the coaching staff's fault that Ridley can't learn technique? His ball handling has been an issue for some time now, the coaching staff has talked about it candidly (much more candidly then they talk about most things), I am sure they have done whatever they can to correct it.

I said it in the other thread - people have to stop making excuses for this kid and stop diminishing his fumbling issue. Ridley isn't, Belichick isn't, I can assure you Fears isn't. Ball control is the most important skill for an RB on our team, and if you don't have it, you won't be our starting RB. Ridley is far and away our most talented runner, but Belichick will not stomach him putting the ball on the ground. And like I said in the other thread, I don't care if his fumbling rate is league average - it's too high for the New England Patriots, and here, we protect the ball and win games. To be a Patriot back, you better learn to hold onto the damn ball.

Ridley is going to have to re-earn the coaching staff's trust in practice and even then, he'll be on a tight leash the rest of the year. I am sure he's been well-schooled. It's up to him to do the rest. He's no rookie, and his fumbling woes didn't start last week. It's 100% on him at this point.

I'm gonna step up ans say that, IMHO, there's a very real chance that Denver says Buh-Bye! To Manning after the season. How many chokes can he have before he get's shown the door? Indy did it. They showed him some love, but they still said seeyah!

Elway and the rest of the Broncos braintrust/management can't be happy so far. They see the all-too-predictable Manning that jumps off to a fast start and then manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the worst possible time.

Manning only has so many games left in him. At some point, Denver needs to look at reloading their talent, and it may come down to whether they keep a couple skill players OR Manning.

I respect Manning for his abilities as a football player, but if Denver ends up with a wildcard berth and ends up one-and-done, or having to come to Foxboro for a playoff game, then management would have to do some serious thinking about his future there. After all, Tebow won as many playoff games with Denver as Manning has. :eek:

Actually, doesn't Tebow have more playoff wins with Denver than Manning?

I'm gonna step up ans say that, IMHO, there's a very real chance that Denver says Buh-Bye! To Manning after the season. How many chokes can he have before he get's shown the door? Indy did it. They showed him some love, but they still said seeyah!

Elway and the rest of the Broncos braintrust/management can't be happy so far. They see the all-too-predictable Manning that jumps off to a fast start and then manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the worst possible time.

Manning only has so many games left in him. At some point, Denver needs to look at reloading their talent, and it may come down to whether they keep a couple skill players OR Manning.

I respect Manning for his abilities as a football player, but if Denver ends up with a wildcard berth and ends up one-and-done, or having to come to Foxboro for a playoff game, then management would have to do some serious thinking about his future there. After all, Tebow won as many playoff games with Denver as Manning has. :eek:

Not buying.
1. Elway has his super sized ego tied up on the deal. Got rid of Tebow & broke the bank for a SB contending QB.
2. Where is Denver going to get a QB who can contend for the SB w/o Manning? Not like they have a top pick.
3. Fans are the customer and they're invested in Manning too. Sure some rational analytical Denver fans will trash him after his early exit in January but the casual fan wants Peyton as their franchise guy.

As last year's rookie phenom QBs fall to earth we're seeing once again how rare the Manning, Brees, Brady, Rogers QBs are.

Well look at it. DThomas is gong to cost at least 10MM/yrr and I wouldn't think that that Decker is going to sign for anything less than $5MM/yr, so if they keep Welker and his $6MM they will be allocating around $21MM of their cap on 3 WR's Add Manning's 20 odd million and you have about a 3rd of their cap room being spent on 4 offensive players.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Bronco's have that kind of cap room to spend on so few players. I'm sure like every team, Thomas and Decker aren't their only potential FA signings they have to deal with.

The Fact is that not team can afford to have 33% of their cap spent on 4 players. Add to that fact that Wes isn't going to get any better, they might just have no choice.

You may be right, Ken, but my point is that they won't sign Decker.

Ridley is going to have to re-earn the coaching staff's trust in practice and even then, he'll be on a tight leash the rest of the year. I am sure he's been well-schooled. It's up to him to do the rest. He's no rookie, and his fumbling woes didn't start last week. It's 100% on him at this point.

I imagine that, because it's so hitting-related, that ball security is one of those things that's hard to judge in practice.

Ok, but who was Redjohn?
I learned my lesson when I turned the TV off on an easy field goal that was to win a game for the (Colts) I think. Took a lot of years, lots, but will never give up on this team. Told my brother that this year when he was moaning about all the defensive players out with injury. Do not bet against this team. Who would you bet on playing in this year's frigid SuperBowl?
Whenever I think of Ridley's fumbling problems I remember Tiki Barber's problems which finally were resolved (much worse if I remember).

Ditto. Me too!! :(

You may be right, Ken, but my point is that they won't sign Decker.

Well, gosh, ken, maybe I wrong and they WILL sign him. Four TDs. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes