PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - OMG - edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to know where to start this, so I’ll just ramble with a bunch of disorganized thoughts that pop into my head as I write.

1. I knew this was going to be a tough game once I read the the Browns D hadn’t allowed a 100 yd rusher or a 300yd passer this season. That’s outstanding. AND nothing that happened in the better part of the first 3 quarters would lead one to think differently of this defense.

2. I was also very disappointed when I heard Jason Campbell was going to be the QB. At times during his career he’s been a very effective QB. With the right team and right offense he can easily be as good as say, Andy Dalton. I knew if he had time, he had enough targets to make life hard for this team. He made a number of great throws into tight areas, took care of the ball and made good decisions

3. Kudos to Norv Turner for not being a wimp and trying to sit on this lead. He threw the ball the entire game, once he realized that the Pats has fixed the running attack. I loved/hated the reverse. It was a perfect call.

4. Last note on Cleveland. Browns fans should take hope from this game. It was a perfect outcome for them. Its clear they are on the right track. That’s a good defense. They have a very good OL and enough skill players to be a solid competitor for the playoffs. (the AFC North is going to be one tough division next year) And between Campbell and Hoyer they have 2 decent NFL QB’s. In the long run its probably better they didn’t win.

5. Joe Thomas took Chandler Jones to school today. The best LT in the league pretty much stoned Jones. I think once it was clear that we weren't going to get much pressure in a straight 4 man rush, I would have hoped that Patricia would have don't some blitzing or stunting to try and get Jones freed up. IE that hold and inside move that SF uses so successfully.

5. It might have taken until week 14 but I’m sure Josh Boyce opened some eyes today. Not just because he had 3 grabs and almost 50 yds, but he showed he is a dynamic player and a real deep threat. The PI shows that in a key moment he can get deep (and yes that was a PI, but more later)

6. It took more than half the season, but LaGarrette Blount has been a real find. He is running very hard now (he didn’t earlier), and for the last 3 games has shown he handle any role. Between Blount, Ridley and Vareen, the Pats have 3 RB’s that all can carry the load. 3 deep they can be as good as any team in the league.

7. The Pats showed that they CAN stop or at least control a team’s running game. The question is can they control one without committing 8 men to the box. Take away the 2 scrambles and the reverse, the Pats front held the Browns to 49 yds on 22 carries. That’s good work.

8. Josh Gordon is very good. The long TD wasn’t all Talib’s fault IMHO. He had no inside help or even safety help. There was a blown assignment or it was a very poorly schemed design. We certainly didn’t see it again.

9. That was MOST definitely a PI at the end of the game. Every time they ran the replay you could see another contact, tug, or pull. I could see there being a case made that the PI came at the 3 rather in the end zone, but even in the end zone Boyce’s shoulder was yanked back before the ball got there.

Jet fans and haters will complain, but if you followed Peter Kings excellent article this week, on officials, that ref will have no worries about being marked down on that flag. He really didn’t have a choice. Boyce had the defender beat and there was constant contact for over 5 yards before the ball got there.

10. I would have traded the win for a healthy Gronk. BUT that was a legal hit and in no way unfair. A guy that size with a full head of steam you HAVE to hit low. It was just unfortunate. Just a few series later, Josh Gordon gets hit almost the same way on a crossing pattern and just bounced right up. Luck of the draw. I don’t know what you can do to keep that from happening.

11. I want to whine about all the injuries for just a second. You know its not the volume. The Pats now have 5 starters go on the IR (Kelly, Wilfolk, Mayo, Volmer, and now Gronk). That’s not a huge number. I’m sure there are a number of teams that have lost 5 guys to the IR. But for us its the WHO. At the start of the year if you drew up a list of 5 guys we couldn’t lose, at least 4 of those names would have been on that list.

12. OK that enough whining. He’s what I think the Pats are about to do. I think they go back circa 2003-6 and dust off the first of BB’s great offensive innovations, the 4 wide. Between Boyce, Dobson, Thompkins Amendola, and Edelman, the Pats have plenty of receivers to make this work.

I also see use utilizing that great RB corp more. I think the running game can be dynamic. I would also like to see us continue to throw to our RB’s more, and not just screens. Vareen’s ability is obvious. Blount had a nice catch and run, and I think he can do that more often. IIRC he had 15 receptions for TB in 2011 Finally I don’t think we can totally forget the TE’s. 2 or 3 times a game they can provide a great change of pace. Just look at how wide open Mulligan was,.

13. So if the offense is going to continue score more than 30/game they will have to go no name. No big name targets. No go to guy. Truly spread the ball around and let the opponent guess where its going. Brady is the perfect QB to make this offense work. Remember he won 3 superbowls WITHOUT a Gronk at TE, or a Moss at WR, or a Welker in the slot. (and BTW - 2 of those defenses were statistically below average)

It won’t be easy and there will have to be some luck involved, but BOY will it be such a rewarding run if we can make it happen

14. Meantime we might not even be favored in the next 2 games so lets focus in on the real issue, which in my opinion is continuing to rebuild this defense so it can be the best it can be for a playoff run. IMHO the offense is going to be OK. There is only one person who is indispensable and he’s still playing and winning.

9. That was MOST definitely a PI at the end of the game. Every time they ran the replay you could see another contact, tug, or pull. I could see there being a case made that the PI came at the 3 rather in the end zone, but even in the end zone Boyce’s shoulder was yanked back before the ball got there.
There are so many more egregious calls for PI that aren't made, that (I think) that call doesn't really stand up to many of those not called. now, we would have had 44 seconds maybe 38 to go 30 yards, so a win was still possible, but I'm not too proud to take the penalty.

almost makes up for the ref blowing the whistle after about .2 seconds of the receiver being thrown down early in the first quarter when we forced a fumble. But, we know (now) our offense doesn't get moving until the 2nd half.
10. I would have traded the win for a healthy Gronk. BUT that was a legal hit and in no way unfair. A guy that size with a full head of steam you HAVE to hit low. It was just unfortunate. Just a few series later, Josh Gordon gets hit almost the same way on a crossing pattern and just bounced right up. Luck of the draw. I don’t know what you can do to keep that from happening.
It sucks, but 3 straight post seasons without an effective Gronk. I guess our offense can run through Vereen. The only good news is we have a bunch of players that can all compete. Vereen seems to be the only stand-out at this time, but I like what we have. it's just all better with Gronk. Maybe Devlin can keep pulling plays out of nowhere and become an unsung hero.

One thought is that it will be interesting to see if we can actually play 2 halves of good football. To a certain extent they've been playing to the level of the competition and then somebody turns on a switch for the 2nd half. Be nice to find that "beast-mode" for the entire game.

Spot on as usual, and not much to quibble with.

Josh Boyce is the real deal, and in time he will be a very legitimate threat for this team... his speed is obvious, and when he gets his time down he will be a force...

Like him returning kicks..

What I do not understand are the three in a row "brain fart" first halves...

I disagree with number 10. That was an obvious helmet to the knee. I've said this dozens of times when this subject came up about them coming down hard on high hits. Why are the defensive players aiming high anyway ? Because they wanted to get on ESPN for a vicious hit. Tackling fundamentals are a lost art in football in football since the 90's. What get's you on TV ? A perfect form tackle where your wrap your arms around the legs or waist, or a knockout hit ? Instead of wrapping up and tackling Gronk, he dove in head first into his knees, which could do one of three things, breaks the tacklers neck, Gronk hurdles the defender, or Gronk gets his knee wrecked. In no way shape or form was that a good clean hit, it was a dumb dangerous hit. I'm 51 years old, and I guarantee you I still know how to tackle CORRECTLY, why, because we practiced the FUNDAMENTALS of tackling all the time.

Tackling for dummies, or for NFL defenders.

How to Make a Tackle in Football : Where to Hit When Tackling in Football - YouTube

Here's another

How to Perform a Tackle in Football - YouTube

Here's a little kid making a perfect tackle

The perfect football tackle by Michael Cardinali,monroe wolverines - YouTube

The moron who hurt Gronk did not perform a perfect OR clean hit.

The Kenster, " I think they go back circa 2003-6 and dust off the first of BB’s great offensive innovations, the 4 wide. Between Boyce, Dobson, Thompkins Amendola, and Edelman, the Pats have plenty of receivers to make this work."

Not even a Top 10 Pats Homo like me would have posted something like that in training camp or after the 1st several games. Amazing how far this WR corps has come. Yes, it was painful at times.
Also, an occasional Ben Vereen split wide catches the enemy with a LB who is SO toast!

The moron who hurt Gronk did not perform a perfect OR clean hit.

I've got to say I agree. what are coaches teaching these days? the perfect form tackle is the wrap-up where you get them from the upper thigh to the waist or chest area.

I think the guy's only excuse was he probably felt that gronk was too big and strong for him to take down with a clean 'form' tackle so he tried to hit him at the knees instead.

Regardless of that 'excuse' hitting a player in the knees is one of the most dangerous tackles in football short of hitting someone in the head or the horsecollar tackle. Those kinds of hits can end seasons. As we found out with Tom Brady in 2011.

I think one deterrent for defenders right now is that the NFL is penalizing defenders if they initially aimed at the chest but by the impact of the tackle they end up hitting the throat area accidentally instead. This gives them an incentive to aim lower instead of going for the usual waist-chest high tackle.

The NFL competition committee needs to review these safety issues in the offseason and make clear rulings so that defenders can be coached to tackle safely and won't fear penalities/reprisal for making otherwise sound football tackles.

It was a great football game, but losing Gronk really does put a damper on our chances in the looming postseason just a few weeks from now.

I appreciate your cogent thoughts on the game. As long as real, true blue Patriots fans like YOU post here , this board will be THE mecca for all true Patriot fans.

It is quite unfortunate that a lot of threads get mucked up by posers with hate agendas but your threads always seem to be kryptonite to these imbeciles....perhaps it's the well written,intelligent aspect of your work that confuses them....anyway, I always wait for your thoughts post game . Thank you for your tireless efforts every week.

I've got to say I agree. what are coaches teaching these days? the perfect form tackle is the wrap-up where you get them from the upper thigh to the waist or chest area.

I think the guy's only excuse was he probably felt that gronk was too big and strong for him to take down with a clean 'form' tackle so he tried to hit him at the knees instead.

Regardless of that 'excuse' hitting a player in the knees is one of the most dangerous tackles in football short of hitting someone in the head or the horsecollar tackle. Those kinds of hits can end seasons. As we found out with Tom Brady in 2011.

I think one deterrent for defenders right now is that the NFL is penalizing defenders if they initially aimed at the chest but by the impact of the tackle they end up hitting the throat area accidentally instead. This gives them an incentive to aim lower instead of going for the usual waist-chest high tackle.

The NFL competition committee needs to review these safety issues in the offseason and make clear rulings so that defenders can be coached to tackle safely and won't fear penalities/reprisal for making otherwise sound football tackles.

It was a great football game, but losing Gronk really does put a damper on our chances in the looming postseason just a few weeks from now.

I'd say they pretty much hurt our chances big time. We lost our best receiver. It's like Detroit losing Megatron or New Orleans losing Jimmy Graham or Denver losing Demarius Thomas, though those teams have explosive 2nd options.

#6 - don't forget about Bolden. They have 4 quality RBs.

I'm usually an "even keel" non-reactionary type of fan ... However, at what point is BB held accountable for this "Defense" .. Yes, I am aware of key injuries .. We were a few yards from letting this one slip away .. a few yards! I'm not saying fire the entire coaching staff, but this has to be looked at .. I would say for the past 4 seasons its the same old stuff ... Can't stop a friggin nosebleed ..Yes, we are 10-3, but does it really feel like a "10-3" team?

It's kinda hard to blame the defense when a "three and out" is the BEST drive the offense can put together in the first half of these games. It puts the defense under ridiculous pressure when the scoreboard reads ZERO at halftime with a 2 to 1 disadvantage in time of possession.

I'm usually an "even keel" non-reactionary type of fan ... However, at what point is BB held accountable for this "Defense" .. Yes, I am aware of key injuries .. We were a few yards from letting this one slip away .. a few yards! I'm not saying fire the entire coaching staff, but this has to be looked at .. I would say for the past 4 seasons its the same old stuff ... Can't stop a friggin nosebleed ..Yes, we are 10-3, but does it really feel like a "10-3" team?

When the entire interior of the D is on IR, including both captains, you get a pass

I am really worried about our pass protection. I don't like what I see. It's on the OL, not the WRs. Come on Dante, work your magic.

I am really worried about our pass protection. I don't like what I see. It's on the OL, not the WRs. Come on Dante, work your magic.

not even J.C. can turn chicken ***** into chicken salad I'm afraid...

I disagree with number 10. That was an obvious helmet to the knee. I've said this dozens of times when this subject came up about them coming down hard on high hits. Why are the defensive players aiming high anyway ? Because they wanted to get on ESPN for a vicious hit. Tackling fundamentals are a lost art in football in football since the 90's. What get's you on TV ? A perfect form tackle where your wrap your arms around the legs or waist, or a knockout hit ? Instead of wrapping up and tackling Gronk, he dove in head first into his knees, which could do one of three things, breaks the tacklers neck, Gronk hurdles the defender, or Gronk gets his knee wrecked. In no way shape or form was that a good clean hit, it was a dumb dangerous hit. I'm 51 years old, and I guarantee you I still know how to tackle CORRECTLY, why, because we practiced the FUNDAMENTALS of tackling all the time.

IF the league is going to penalize a player for launching himself with a helmet or shoulder high, why can't this torpedo hit below the thigh be penalized as well? Isn't it for QB's because they are considered vulnerable? What was Gronk? He'll be lucky if its just an ACL. This is absolutely devastating and I'm pretty disgusted with the league and even the player who committed the act. Its quite easy to say he never intended to hurt him but this type of act is reckless and a player this skilled knows that when he's launching into a player's knee, he's messing with that player's career.

speaking of patricia, he sucks.......regardless of the injuries and who's out there, I think what he's got some of these players looking at prevents them from being as good as they can be. I just think he's an ineffective DC

as for the RB's, it's nice they have the guys who they have, but in the name of offensive consistency, they need to consolidate carries. with the way blount was playing, he should have had double the touches. you just have to go with the hot hand, and at this point of the season, I can see blount being more effective.

There is no way any forum poster has 1/100 of the information needed to make this claim.

you can say that about 90% of what is said around here.....but thanks for paying special attention to me

There is no way any forum poster has 1/100 of the information needed to make this claim.

I think sometimes you can make a pretty educated guess, but in this case it's just dumb. 3 of the 4 best players on the front 7 are out for the year. It's to the staffs credit that the defense is even passable, let alone pretty good

That hit was not clean IMO Ken. If it was clean it would of been higher. Not to wussify football anymore than it needs to be, but if they have a few more of these types of hits to star caliber players they are going to need to implement a strike zone. Shoulders to thighs.

Geez, I've never been more bummed after a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe