PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I may be in the minority but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
KDPpatsfan said:
I believe Cassel intentionally tanked that 2pt conv. pass. I mean it was awful and if you watched him after it looked like he was really playing up the "I'm pissed I missed" look.

Some of you will call me crazy but think about it...what was there to gain by tying the score up. We all want Jacksonville anyway IMO....

I didn't initial think he tanked it but I started to think it might be possible when I saw the replay. Plus I hated the call.

pats1 said:
Now the satistic side of me hopes the Pats lose to Jacksonville to shut up the majority who think the Pats, who I will stress again haven't played a changed Jax team since 2003, would suddenly beat up on them.

If that happens you wont live to enjoy it as all of Patfan nation will be looking to take you out for jinxing things.

Just kidding, fact of the matter is BOTH Jax & Pitts are quality football teams and we will need to prepare well and play well in order to advance. I think it wont be easy, but I do think we will advance to Denver for a little rematch. It all seems like somehow it is setting up quite nicely and seems to me we just may see the dream match of Pitts - NE in the AFCG!!

No Miami just dominated the patsies and it should even have come down to that play. The roughing call on Taylor was ridiculous

In Bill we trust??

I don't know what pi$$ed me off more, the anouncers praising everybody in the Dolphins organization for 3 hours or losing that game.

We know we can beat the Steelers. We don't know if we can beat Jax. Who is their starting QB for the game? How do you prepare with a short week for 2 QB's? That defense is just as tough as the Steelers. The secondary even tougher.

Wouldn't it have been better to let Cincy get a shot at revenge on the Colts?

Anyway it is what it is. A healthy 4 seed is better than an injured 3 seed.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
No Miami just dominated the patsies and it should even have come down to that play. The roughing call on Taylor was ridiculous
Yes, you're quite right. You guys dominatined our backups and third stringers. Congrats! Let the chest pounding begin.

By the way, who are you guys playing next week?

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Not as ridiculous as you are. Now,go back to rehab.

Guess its just me. Jax does not scare me. The run will be stopped and neither of their QB's scare me. Steelers are a better team than jax by a big margin.

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Sure thing wateboy, your #1's barely beat our subs, nice game see ya next year.

Last edited:
No chance BB ordered that 2 pointer to be thrown away, none. First of all BB wouldn't ask his team to lay down after they fought so hard to get that last TD.
Secondly, what a way to screw up a real prospect like Cassel by telling him it's OK to throw away a game, any game, when the chance to tie and go for the win is right there. BB would never infect the poor kid's head with that stuff.
Thirdly, I believe BB when he says it doesn't matter one pea bean who is next on the schedule, they all have to be won, period. And I don't believe BB thinks going to Indy is better than going anywhere else, Denver, Cincy, whatever. Sure, the Dolts have been distracted lately but with our secondary issues still apparent how could any coach want to face Manning and that passing attack? Thinking so is just nutty. Indy, in Indy, is always a hornets nest for the Pats.

Besides, there's no way BB is recalculating all that junk in the last few seconds after his team just scored an emotional TD and he needs to call the next play. Before the game even started he made up his mind to play everybody and let the chips fall where they may.

Um, if he was playing for the win completely seriously, he never would've had Flutie do a drop goal. It makes sense until you consider that. If there's one play in football where surprise makes no sense, it's a PAT, which is a virtual statistical certainty. Belichick sent Flutie out to have fun and give the home fans a treat. If he had missed it, there never would've been a two-point conversion to worry about.

I disagree as well...no way.
Fact is the TD should have not have happened in the first place. The roughing the passer call was a bad call and should have never been called on the Dolphins. Cassel was hit as he was passing and that was why he threw the INT...that was the game right there.

Drewwho said:
I disagree as well...no way.
Fact is the TD should have not have happened in the first place. The roughing the passer call was a bad call and should have never been called on the Dolphins. Cassel was hit as he was passing and that was why he threw the INT...that was the game right there.

Nope. Look at it again. He actually committed two penalties on that play.First one was hands to the face to the O lineman, then he hit Cassel in the head.

Don't take my word for it- look at the replay.

I think they screwed up the two point conversion on purpose to avoid overtime. BB didn't want to risk injury, even if it was to one of the back-ups, on further useless playing.

And I think he wanted to get Cassell another TD throw. That's why he had him throw to Watson.

Bella*chick said:
I highly doubt anybody tanked anything.

Part of me agrees with you ... but strategically, opting for the 4th seed to reduce the likelihood of playing in the thin air at Mile High Stadium might be considered the equivielent of say, allowing an intentional safety to improve field position and win the game.

But of course, things like that never happen.

Bottom line - Miami is playing well, and the Patriots made it clear that even their 3rd stringers could compete with them... and if the Patriots truly wanted to win that game, they would have by keeping their starters in.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with playoff seeding. I think BB didn't want to play anymore regular season football and risk injury to anybody.

Willie55 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with playoff seeding. I think BB didn't want to play anymore regular season football and risk injury to anybody.

That's what I think. And since not playing starters in this situation is something that is quite common, especially as a very important one was recently injured, I guess I don't get all this argument about it.

Because if Brady got hurt, oh boy, would the **** have hit the fan. Or Dillon. Or Seymour.

You can just go on and on. NOT worth it.

NEM said:
Cassell is a damned good sprint out Qb

I'm just curious what game film you're deriving this from. The 2 halves he played in the preseason? His non-existent college career? High school?

I can understand why you'd assume that'd be the style he'd play from the small sample, but Cassel just hasn't been under center enough to draw a conclusion like that from, and decide the playcalling should be based around him being a "damned good" QB of any type.

Kdo5 said:
If he wanted to intentionally tank the game, why did he throw the TD to Ben Watson?

Well, losing by what appeared to be an intentional overthrow on the tying 2pt conversion sends the message to everyone (including our players and theirs) that we could have easily won this game even with our backups if we really wanted to.

Losing by 8 pts wouldn't have had that effect.

This is the first loss I can ever remember that feels like a win instead.

Willie55 said:
I think they screwed up the two point conversion on purpose to avoid overtime. BB didn't want to risk injury, even if it was to one of the back-ups, on further useless playing.

I agree! Let Cassel throw to Watson --- keep the game "real" and see what the kid can do under pressure.

But then whatever you do, don't go to OT where we put 15 minutes' more wear and tear on our playoff-bound team (with a short week, it later turns out)!

BB might not have told Cassel to throw it away, although the throw seemed too far off to be really trying. BB may have just called a play he thought wouldn't work.

Who knows, maybe they were trying, but don't count on it!

Also, Flutie's kick misses, we're down 6, where a field goal puts it out of reach. BB was not trying for a win, unless one just was going to fall into his lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes