• 1100 yards

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • 1200 Yards

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • 1300 Yards

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 1400 Yards

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Over 1500 Yards ( And a Pro-Bowl Selection)

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...I get a totally different impression after watching him repeatedly get stuffed behind the line of scrimmage during the last half of the season. Martin always seemed to gain positive yardage and rarely went down on first contact. He was a lot like Emmit Smith in that regard.

Moroney is unreal in the open field, the problem seems to be him getting there. Of course his scouting reports mentioned upright running style and aversion to contact as dings. I hope he will learned to settle for 1 or 2 yards if the home run isn't there.

Maroney doesnt go down upon first contact..i dont think i've seen him go down by 1 man a lot..

and he was 3rd in league in Yards AFTER contact

Maroney will run for 1500+ and 15 TDs. He will embarrass everyone who doubted him.

Ah, so it was you Ponyexpress. I was wondering who the other homer was that voted for 1500 like me.

Isn't that asking alot out of a guy whose only in his second year? I wasn't impressed with his second half last year... Towards the end it almost seemed like he was intimaded, and he wasn't punching through holes like he was at the beginning of the year... Granted, he was out like 3 games or so, maybe he was playing hurt there towards the end of the year... I'm not much into stats, but I'm willing to bet he got the majority of his yards the first half of the year. With that said, I think he has potential for 1100 yards and that's how I voted...

It is believed by some that Maroney had an injury to his ribs or in that area and was the reason he slowed down at the second half of the sesason.

It is believed by some that Maroney had an injury to his ribs or in that area and was the reason he slowed down at the second half of the sesason.

can u tell me how he slowed down? Jacksonville and Tennessee games were his better games..the playoffs game he struggled. but Dillon wasnt good either.

Last edited:
1500+ yards doesn't necessarily equal a Pro Bowl spot. In 2004 Dillon had over 1600 yards, placing him third in the entire league and he was still passed over for Tomlinson who had about 300 less yards.

--------------------------------------

Wow...I get a totally different impression after watching him repeatedly get stuffed behind the line of scrimmage during the last half of the season. Martin always seemed to gain positive yardage and rarely went down on first contact. He was a lot like Emmit Smith in that regard.

Moroney is unreal in the open field, the problem seems to be him getting there. Of course his scouting reports mentioned upright running style and aversion to contact as dings. I hope he will learned to settle for 1 or 2 yards if the home run isn't there.

Maroney still averaged over 4 yards per carry in the second half of the season.

Learning how to take a reasonable gain when the play isn't there is part of the process of maturing as a running back. It will come with time. Where Maroney definitely has the advantage over Martin is speed. But since Martin is a future Hall of Famer I would hold off on the comparisons just yet.

Last edited:
can u tell me how he slowed down? Jacksonville and Tennessee games were his better games..the playoffs game he struggled. but Dillon wasnt good either.

Between the Jax and Ten games he averaged 6.25 yards per carry.

Isn't that asking alot out of a guy whose only in his second year? I wasn't impressed with his second half last year... Towards the end it almost seemed like he was intimaded, and he wasn't punching through holes like he was at the beginning of the year... Granted, he was out like 3 games or so, maybe he was playing hurt there towards the end of the year...

Maroney was hurt at the end of the year, playing through a painful rib injury. I seriously doubt he was intimidated.

and he was 3rd in league in Yards AFTER contact

REALLY? Do you have a link? (I'm genuinely asking, not disbelieving you.) That's a great stat.

REALLY? Do you have a link? (I'm genuinely asking, not disbelieving you.) That's a great stat.

i think pat kirwan had a thing on NFL.com

i dont have the link but i guess ic an look

i believe it was
1. Gore
2. Henry
3. Maroney

found it for you
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9854300

2. How many yards can a running back pick up after contact? The top-five backs in average yards after contact are all significantly better than the 2-yard after-contact average in the NFL. The top-10 NFL backs with a minimum of 150 carries that make something happen after the first tackler strikes are Gore, Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, Taylor, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Kevin Jones and Tiki Barber in that order.

1. Gore
2. Henry
3. Maroney
4. Fred Taylor
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Tomlinson
7. Westbrook
8. Chester Taylor
9. Kevin Jones
10.Tiki Barber

Maroney is going to be great. I really feel that.

900 for Maroney.

Where's the 999 or below option? I think he has a good chance at breaking the 1,000 mark. But with the weapons we have at QB, TE, and WR, we are not a running team.

If he misses a bunch of games.
He could break 1000, no doubt but unless our running game is dynamite and great, I think we will use our stronger attack, passing the ball more than running. I just dont see it as balanced as it was last year.

Christ, some games last year we had a decent running game but like against Minnesota, we hardly ran the ball once, it was all shotgun passing and we didnt even have a very good recieving core. This year we do.

Last edited:
Where's the 999 or below option? I think he has a good chance at breaking the 1,000 mark. But with the weapons we have at QB, TE, and WR, we are not a running team.

ever think we got WRs so we can open up the run game? you didnt expect next yr to be agood running year with Caldwell and Gaffney using their top notch speed to keep the safeties off did u?

ever think we got WRs so we can open up the run game? you didnt expect next yr to be agood running year with Caldwell and Gaffney using their top notch speed to keep the safeties off did u?

Yeah, but I don't think Maroney will be involved as much as you think. We'll be seeing more 5 WR sets, spread formations. He'll get around 15 carries a game as a result.

He could break 1000, no doubt but unless our running game is dynamite and great, I think we will use our stronger attack, passing the ball more than running. I just dont see it as balanced as it was last year.

Christ, some games last year we had a decent running game but like against Minnesota, we hardly ran the ball once, it was all shotgun passing and we didnt even have a very good recieving core. This year we do.

They aren't going to avoid the run game for the sake of it even if it works. I think in a perfect world they would want it to be pretty balanced, maybe with a slight advantage to the passing game. IMO the best offense we have had under Brady was the 2004 one, where we had a killer run game with Dillon balanced with a strong passing attack with Brady, Branch, Givens, and Patten.

For your lead runner to have only 900 yards (which Maroney will probably be) then your running game is not very good, unless your employing a two back system, which as of now it doesn't look like we are.

i pegged him at 1,100 because i think it's realistic and becuase if he get's a lot more than that then morris hasn't worked out and that would be a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft