PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many games for Burfict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had absolutely no issue w/ Shazier's hit. He was running full speed into him and it easily could have been a shot to the back if Bernard hadnt turned upfield so quickly.

I also think half of these collisions shouldnt be flagged because it is the quarterbacks fault for throwing it. You dont see Brady getting guys destroyed.

I am someone in favor of violent hits and I cant defend Burfict at all. It was far too late of a hit and the definition of unnecessary. With his history, he has to be suspended. He alone seems to fuel all the bad blood w/ the Steelers.

Adam Jones is getting a raw deal. Yes he should have kept his composure but sheesh. He cant catch a break and everyone wants him to be the bad guy from before as if he cant grow up and mature. He doesnt want to be called Pacman. Is it that hard for the announcers to not bring up his past and to actually call him only by his birth given name?

I had absolutely no issue w/ Shazier's hit. He was running full speed into him and it easily could have been a shot to the back if Bernard hadnt turned upfield so quickly.

I also think half of these collisions shouldnt be flagged because it is the quarterbacks fault for throwing it. You dont see Brady getting guys destroyed.

I am someone in favor of violent hits and I cant defend Burfict at all. It was far too late of a hit and the definition of unnecessary. With his history, he has to be suspended. He alone seems to fuel all the bad blood w/ the Steelers.

Adam Jones is getting a raw deal. Yes he should have kept his composure but sheesh. He cant catch a break and everyone wants him to be the bad guy from before as if he cant grow up and mature. He doesnt want to be called Pacman. Is it that hard for the announcers to not bring up his past and to actually call him only by his birth given name?
I actually think Shazier's hit was just as dangerous as the Burfict hit, and under the rules could have been flagged. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Shazier is fined. This was a key play (possession change) and I believe Bengals fans have a right to be upset.

The thing of it was, the announcers and even some of the referees (Periera etc) seemed to get caught up in the wrong conversation -- i.e. whether the player was a runner or whether he was a defenseless receiver. He was a runner, and he wasn't defenseless...so there's no such thing as a 'helmet to helmet' violation in this instance. I agree with that.

But the issue wasn't the runner/receiver distinction - it was that he hit with the crown of the helmet. The rules state that if it's determined that contact with the crown of the helmet is NOT incidental, then that's a penalty. It's basically an acknowledgement that there are going to be times when this sort of contact is unavoidable...but that if you can avoid it, you should. At full speed, the play is pretty bang/bang, but slowed down Shazier lowers into the contact zone. Again it's not the helmet-to-helmet contact per se that's the penalty; it's the *crown* contact that matters, and the fact that it doesn't appear "incidental".

I don't expect Shazier to be suspended as he simply doesn't have any history (certainly nothing like Burfict's). But even if you feel some regret that defense is being slowly legislated out of the game -- as I do -- rules like this one really are necessary...not just for the runner (Bernard) but the tackler. You're supposed to see what you tackle. Shazier could paralyze himself someday with this kind of technique.

http://deadspin.com/giovani-bernard-and-the-unfortunate-hit-that-knocked-1752060073

I'm guessing 1 game for 1st offense

Worst cheap shot in a while. Everybody watching. Took out the best WR in the NFL. I'm guessing that's a suspension, probably 4 games, reduced to two
Whatever he gets will be not enough.

If the term was applied equally across all ethnic groups, then your point would have merit. But in my experience it is most often used by white people about black people. So whenever I see it applied as it is being applied here on this board, that's the filter through which I see it.

And for what's it worth, the invention and use of the term "social justice warriors" is a bullying tactic, as is most labeling.

You make some good points, I guess I got overly defensive for being labeled a racist when it was more a joke made in poor taste, however it was not directed at any race of people . Never been called a racist before and take offense to someone implying it, but obviously my comment was in poor taste to some people so I'll own that and make a better effort in the future to be more mindful of things that could be taken the wrong way

I've used the term thug to describe anyone who has that type of violent behavior/persona.. I don't view the term to have any racial connotations, for example that center from the Lions I remember people regularly labeling him as a thug and he was white.. or Bill Romanowski, Conrad Dobler, Richie Incognito, Hines Ward etc.... a thug is a mentality, someone who is a violent, dirty player that demonstrates being out of control on the field and has little to no regard for player safety

Last edited:
And for what's it worth, the invention and use of the term "social justice warriors" is a bullying tactic, as is most labeling.

Fine with me. I'm more than happy to call them "cowardly gutless wannabe censors who live for shutting down discussion of anything that offends their delicate sensibilities and trying to screw over anyone who says something they don't like". Also cracks me up to see someone someone complaining that mocking them is bullying, since bullying is what they are all about.

I'm guessing 1 game for 1st offense

It's not Burfict first offense. He had a dirty hit and fine in week 17.

Also fined 70,000 in a December game vs Pittsburgh.

I'm all for fighting against racism, but only when there's actual racism occurring. Trying to turn the word "thug" into n-word 2.0 is a distraction.

Whoa easy there, it's not like he was generally aware of some air missing from a football. All he did was try to maim another human being.

$50 fine and an e-mail apology to Brown is what the punishment should be.
Naw, they'll make an example of him and suspend him for the rest of the season.

3 games for Burfict

3 games sends a pretty strong message, hopefully the other head hunters are watching/listening

Last edited:
Not like he was messing with psi or anything.

I'm still of the opinion that if a Steelers player had done the same thing he wouldn't have been flagged. It was still incredibly stupid of burfict but I don't like officials deciding games with flags

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I'm still of the opinion that if a Steelers player had done the same thing he wouldn't have been flagged. It was still incredibly stupid of burfict but I don't like officials deciding games with flags

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Regardless, if a player doesn't understand a helmet hit will draw a flag then they are a liability to Their team. In a matter of time, all open field helmet to helmet hits will become illegal.

Regardless, if a player doesn't understand a helmet hit will draw a flag then they are a liability to Their team. In a matter of time, all open field helmet to helmet hits will become illegal.
Except Shazier's right?

????? Wasn't in that pissing contest. Made a statement about future rules in the NFL.
I wasn't particularly arguing with you, just saying the Shazier's head on spear with the crown of his helmet drew nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST