PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How long do you think RG3 will last in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think Brady's always been like this for the most part. I think it's just in his nature. He doesn't have to be the hero all the time in the eye of public opinion.

Brady has been the example for what it means to be an elite NFL QB and leader for like the past decade. The fact so few seems to really emulate it when it's been there for so long not only works out in our favor but also says something about how hard it must be to do that. When Ray Lewis talked about Brady's sacrifice being one of the reasons he is who he is, and how a lot of guys are not willing to do that, I believe one of the things included in that is his ability to not give in to that superstar/hero lifestyle. He has it, but he never acts like it publicly and I truly believe it is a HARD thing to do. When the entire world wants to make you their hero it must be really freaking hard to not get sucked into and give into that and remain level headed and realize you are still a "normal" human being. In some aspects I think Brady's image suffered in the short term, perfect example being how often he is overlooked for MVP considerations, and whatnot, but I think long term, it will pay off. And it's paying off for the team right now.

Even Manning, as good a dude as he is, has a bit of an ego imo and the Colts franchise suffered because of it. They wanted it to be all about Manning and the offense, and very little was put on the defense. He actually got lucky to end up with John Fox who is a very defensive minded coach and may actually end up helping his career in the end.

The difference I think is that if Bill asks next season for Tom to go back to being a game manager because they want to run the ball and make it more about the defense, I think he would and be 100% on board with it. Because I always felt Tom's ultimate goal truly was the team winning. A lot of guys say it, with Tom I believe it. I see it. As a starting quarterback, there's a big difference between believing the quarterback position is the most important part of the team, and the quarterback, yourself, is the most important person on the team. I think Tom believes the position is the most important part, and he just runs it, wanting to be the best man for the job. There is a difference. And it is humbling if you think about it from that perspective. For example does anyone think Bret Farve would have been willing to do something like this? Even Ben cried and moaned when they wanted to change their offense last year and I truly felt it would be in his advantage.

The only guy I see close to Tom right now is Rodgers and before that Montana. Of course it should be noted Rodgers, Tom and Montana were not top draft picks. And they're all introverts if you ask me. Go figure...

You have to have an ego to survive in the NFL. The key is sublimating it for the greater good. Takes time in most cases. Even the draft day tumble and pine ride didn't flick the switch for Rodgers (who still struggles not to make excuses when all fails). What awoke him was the concussions in close succession. He admitted that was when he finally realized he had to do more film work and put in more prep time and quit relying on belief in his own talent. Big difference in him since, although he remains somewhat a work in progress. That's because the natural tendancy is to regress to the norm. The norm for Brady was always fighting to prove yourself worthy.

mobile qbs tend to have shorter shelf lives. i mean just look at vick, he battles with injuries all the time because he gets hit more. rg3 has a very promising start to his career. but he might never achieve the same burst he originally had after surgery. hoping the best for the young man, but he is definitely going to take his lumps as a mobile qb and his career will be shortened because of it.

Sorry, your comparison doesn't work because Rogers was a 1st round pick. #24 overall, still an early draft choice. Montana was a 3rd round pick btw, #82 overall. Same round as Mallett who was taken #74 overall which is actually earlier than Joe Cool. Brady has them all beat by a longshot as the #199 draft pick in the 6th round.

Still a big difference between a #1 or #2 and #24. Rodgers also sat on a bench for one year just like Tom. It humbles you. When you come out of college as the heralded hero who is going to "save the franchise", endorsements and money galore, you can't tell me that's the same thing. It goes to your head and it takes a lot of maturity and self control not to let that happen and buy into it.

We're going a bit off topic, but I'll give you an example of how you should handle it. Luck. For example, he turned down endorsements and commercials and kind of comes off unbearable to the media. Like he just wants to be left alone. Why do you think that is? Personally I think it's because he's smart enough to realize it would have done him little favors in the short term. These kids need to realize, ESPN's media machine, promotional gifts, and endorsement is NOT on their side and their best interest for their career. But it does mean, you have to walk away from some money in exchange for peace of mind and mental clarity.

This is probably a blessing in disguise for RG3, who will now focus on his passing abilities

If he can do that, he just lengthened his career drastically

Last edited:
The difference I think is that if Bill asks next season for Tom to go back to being a game manager because they want to run the ball and make it more about the defense, I think he would and be 100% on board with it. Because I always felt Tom's ultimate goal truly was the team winning. A lot of guys say it, with Tom I believe it. I see it.

I could see them doing that—they do have the best group of young RBs in the league—but, then, they also have the biggest offensive playmaker in the league in GRONK. Also, I think we have to admit that in Brady's mind, the order goes: wins AND records > wins >> records. I'm pretty sure he wants that passing TD record. Not to the detriment of the team winning, but he wants it.

Last edited:
I could see them doing that—they do have the best group of young RBs in the league—but, then, they also have the biggest offensive playmaker in the league in GRONK.

I'm excited to see if Jeff Demps will be worth all the hype. I really hope they figure out how to channel that speed and keep him from suffering RG3's fate. Wonder how much of it he would lose if he bulks up.

Seems the Seahawk's players saw what Shanny didn't. They knew he reinjured the knee in the first quarter and suddenly couldn't cut. Changed their approach to him. His LT knew he reinjured the knee then too. And he was miked up. And he talked to RGIII about it and he acknowledged that the knee had scared him on the following TD play. Foot went wah-wah when he dropped back to pass after the sideline tackle was the way he described it. Scored the passing TD there so they had plenty of time to assess him on the sideline after obviously reinjuring the knee...which was likely when the LCL went. They say you are usually in excruciating pain from an ACL or LCL tear for a minute or two after which the only immediate tell is the instability. Leads me to wonder if the young man was also likely already playing on Toradol.

Williams: Are you sure you're all right, bro?

RG3: Yeah, I'm going to be safe.

Williams: You tweaked it when you were trying to back up?

RG3: Yeah, my foot kind of went wah-wah.

Williams: Did that shock you a little bit?

RG3: Yeah, scared the (expletive) out of me (laughs).

Williams: All right, be smart.

RG3: I will. I promise.

RG3 said after first-quarter TD that knee 'scared' him - NFL.com

Didn't want to start another thread for this but apparently RGIII suffered additional damage to his medial meniscus and the damage to his ACL required them to harvest his remaining patella tendon from his good leg. But it's all smiles and backslaps in the world of elite orthopods. They wax poetic about success rates while glossing over the mundane details like those rates are for different procedures and are based on 2 year studies... I was familiar with that after losing a neice to a cancer she actually contributed an 85% success stat to in having outlived the disease by 3 years...and 4 months. 95% of ACL surgeries performed by a handful of elite surgeons are deemed successful (at the 2 year mark). Although only 1 in 4 second reconstructions fare as well.

Andrews is positively giddy about Robert's fire to get at it. Better to talk that up than deal with questions like wft happened to this kid in the last 4 weeks on your vaunted watch. Meanwhile the guy down in Houston who did the first ACL just doesn't want anyone questioning his work (as Andrews passively agressively did in characterizing the prior repair "loosening". So he is applying for the role of head cheerleader going forward. Pretty unsettling behavior if you ask me but the norm for these ego driven practitioners who will be nowhere to be found if Robert starts experiencing chronic knee issues past the success point...

All and all it's as if this will just turn out to be a best case scenario for all concerned.

The surgery that Dr. James Andrews performed was a repair of his LCL, a revision reconstruction of his ACL and a repair of his medial meniscus. All three surgeries are significant when done alone. When done together, they comprise a major surgery that leads to an extremely painful and arduous recovery.

Because Robert’s patellar tendon in his right knee was used to perform his initial ACL reconstruction the patellar tendon in his uninjured left knee had to be used to create a new ACL. This means the pain he will have to withstand will be doubled and nearly equal for both knees. Although fully informed prior to surgery, he was hopeful that a lesser procedure would be sufficient to allow him to recover.

His parents told me that upon awakening, feeling the searing pain in both knees, he was immediately alerted to the extent of his injury and the magnitude of his surgery. The disappointment had to be immense.

The recovery from an LCL repair and meniscus repair is four to six months, and the recovery from a revision ACL reconstruction is six to eight months. He will have to rehab his left knee as well because of the patellar tendon graft harvested from that site. When rehabbing his right knee after the initial ACL reconstruction, which I performed in 2009, the physical therapists and athletic trainers spent the bulk of their time trying to slow Robert down.

What Washington Redskins QB Robert Griffin III faces during recovery from knee surgery - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

That is truly awful.

Shannahan really screwed this guy up

From Florio:

Griffin’s knee creates more concern than advertised | ProFootballTalk

I was having this conversation with one of my trauma orthopedic surgeon colleagues last week - a former Harvard med grad, though unfortunately a Cowboys fan. His take was that extensive orthopedic publications on ACL injuries with and without surgery show that while surgical repair significantly improves short term functional recovery, the long term incidence of significant osteoarthritis is the same (80%) with or without surgery. After 2 ACL injuries to the same leg and with all the wear and tear of further subjecting it to an NFL career, it is more a question of "when" rather than "if" Griffin's joint wears out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe