PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good do you think Jimmy G will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still in the camp that he could be anywhere from back to being a back up in a few years to being a HOFer. I know if comes off as a cop out, but it is impossible to judge a QB based on six quarters especially when opposing defense seemed to run defenses that played into Garoppolo's strengths rather than trying to exploit his weaknesses.

n
Ken, this is really a stretch. Since he only finished one game, you are talking a clip from the lockeroom after the unproven kid stepped in for the unfairly suspended leader of the team, and the team got a win on the road, and using that to say his teammates CLEARLY want to play FOR HIM?
I'm not saying he isn't a leader, but that is just not a reasonable example to conclude he is.

I think his floor is on the bench after a dozen starts, and his ceiling is best QB in the NFL for the next 10 years.
There simply is not enough data to narrow it further than that.
Look, people are, almost in the same breath saying after a game and half Jimmy is guaranteed to have a star future, but saying that Blake Bortles who threw for 4400 yards and 35 TDs in 2015, after a down year, is now someone who should be gotten rid of. Jimmy hasn't thrown for 4400/35, so if Bortles can be done 12 months after that, how is Jimmy a lock. (And Bortles was a consensus #1 pick in the same draft the Pats were the only team taking Jimmy before the 3rd round)
Hard to argue with anything you say, except for the your opinion about his team mates "clearly wanting to play for him" On that point I will disagree. Not only was it clear to me based on more than just that locker room clip, but sideline intereactions, game interations AND the numerous reports that his teammates from the D to the O, LOVE Jimmy Garopolo. And they like him for all the reasons that make good QB's in the NFL.

That being said, all the rest of the stuff about comparing him to Brees, and seeing his floor as being Cousins is STRICTLY just my humble opinion, and not just on 2 games. It's based on watching him grow from what we saw his rookie year to his second year (pre-season games) and the continued improvment that led to what we saw over 4 preseason games and the 2 he played in.

But STILL, of course, just an opinion. ;)

If the timing was better he'd have been a fitting successor to TB. But unfortunately, or fortunately if you think about it, Brady will be here for the next 2-3 years at a minimum, so the timing just isn't going to work. So we might as well use the asset we developed to help build the team, and hope that Brissett will develop into a capable starter in 3 years or so.
It's funny. People like to say "well, the Brady suspension was bogus but at least it had the silver lining of showing off JG." Except that if Brady hadn't been suspended there wouldn't be nearly as much demand for JG and thus a far greater chance of NE being able to resign him for sane money and thus transition to him when Brady finally does hang it up.

No idea. Can't judge on 6 quarters of football against two subpar teams. He's got tons of upside for sure but it's way too premature IMO to project his ceiling and floor.

Also to put the Cardinals game in perspective... Out of all of JG's completed throws he had probably one really good one in that game that I recall, the 30+ yarder to Amendola on the run. He also had Hogan's TD on a completely blown coverage. All of his other 31 throws translated to a very ordinary 6.1 Yards per Attempt. Even Brady when he started his career was better than that.

He was quite good in the Dolphins game but as the game went on it seemed they started to figure him out... started 9 of 10 and then completed only 9 of his next 17 before the injury. And you know had he stayed in the game and played the next 2, that would have been on tape and teams would have defended him accordingly.

Need to see a lot more against a variety of teams to be able to judge better.

You know, this will sound crazy but think about it for a second.

It's not entirely out of the realm of possibilities that Garoppolo will be out of the league before Brady is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back