PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Colts do it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
They imitated the Patriots.

They spent a lot of their cap on players 4 through 53.
They coached up their young players.
They overcame injuries.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...nfl/stories/011207dnsponflinjury.27b777c.html
When they saw a need to fix their run defense, they drafted for McFarland just like the Pats traded for Ted Washington.
They won close games by making plays at the end and by not making mistakes.
They became a physical team.
They changed the game plans to take advantage of the another's team weakness. In the AFCGC they took advantage of the Patriots' slow linebackers. In the Super Bowl they exploited the Bears' desire to get to the ball with draw plays.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

One thing that has made a difference for them is continuity in their coaching staff. They seem to have a bunch of older guys as assistants -- career assistants like Moore, the OC. And of course, nobody would want their defensive coordinator. I expect Dungy to return, by the way.

Then look at the patriots. We were not as good as the colts.

I strongly disagree. I think that all the final four AFC teams compare favorably with teams from past years.

I think this colts team is won of the worst to ever win it. I do not think they were even has good as any of the three teams the patriots beat in the SB.

They overcame injuries.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...nfl/stories/011207dnsponflinjury.27b777c.html
When they saw a need to fix their run defense, they drafted for McFarland just like the Pats traded for Ted Washington.
They changed the game plans to take advantage of the another's team weakness. In the AFCGC they took advantage of the Patriots' slow linebackers. In the Super Bowl they exploited the Bears' desire to get to the ball with draw plays.

Also, the defense and maybe the offensive line played with a chip on their shoulder.

The Patriots have had a remarkable run but are now starting to show

the effects of a cumulative loss of Super Bowl veterans and players

nearing the end of their careers. If they have a good draft and can

sign/re-sign a couple of good players, they could rebound quickly.

Here is how the Colts did it..

1 Play Herm Edwards - That was easy

2 Play Brian Billick and Steve Mcnair- Piece of cake

3 Play a Pats team that was raveged by the flu, just came off a war of a game against San Diego, was dog tired, and the Colts made more plays than the Pats did- Wasnt easy but they earned it.

4 Lovie and Rex Grossman- double check...

Which makes it more hard to take, because we had the path to a 4th and six yrs... ugh...

Us beating SD saved them from eventually losing to the Chargers too. Yep, they had a lot fall their way, but they did earn it. We may have dodged a bullet but not making the SB - considering the elements and there were 8 turnovers in that game and NE had FIVE at home in favorable conditions against the Bears, this one may not have gone our way.

The Patriots have had a remarkable run but are now starting to show

the effects of a cumulative loss of Super Bowl veterans and players

nearing the end of their careers. If they have a good draft and can

sign/re-sign a couple of good players, they could rebound quickly.

I still believe the Pats are a top-5 team, if not top-3 (w/ Indy and SD). I think the last couple of years (especially losing to Indy and going on to win it all) will light the fires once again. If we could get Rodney for one more postseason I see NE winning it all again.

Here is how the Colts did it..

1 Play Herm Edwards - That was easy

2 Play Brian Billick and Steve Mcnair- Piece of cake

3 Play a Pats team that was raveged by the flu, just came off a war of a game against San Diego, was dog tired, and the Colts made more plays than the Pats did- Wasnt easy but they earned it.

4 Lovie and Rex Grossman- double check...

Which makes it more hard to take, because we had the path to a 4th and six yrs... ugh...

:yeahthat: They were definitely the better team last night:bricks:
**I was listening to Mike and Mike (I know,I know) but it was very interesting in that most of their talk centered around how BAD Grossman/Bears offense/coaching was as opposed to how great the Colts were. Not that any of that matters-a win is a win-but in light of the anticipated widespread lovefest that was a refreshing reality check.
I think the Colts' toughest game was against the Pats,and I'm still wondering wth happened to our team during half time that day.
As to how much of a threat the Colts will be next season,who knows. I have no idea what their schedule looks like or anything about their FA situation but I'd assume they will continue to contend. Once the rosters are set we'll see how they match up to the Pats.

thank you!!
these woe is us, why can't we be like the colts posts are hilarious.

The Pats organization is BETTER than the Colts organization!

from your mouth to God's ears. but remember that we are now entering the silly season, post SB, pre draft, pre mini camp, pre everything. let the craziness begin!

They overcame injuries.

And we have Bingo.

Gave Peyton Manning the largest QB contract.

Kept not one, not two, but all 3 or their WR's (including Stokeley).

Signed Vinatieri.

And won the Super Bowl.

I think they won by playing very good at the end of the year. Their defense did enough to create some 3 and outs and tackled very well. The offense just simply ground teams into submisison. Once their Oline smelled blood they became physically dominant and ran it down the opponents throat. I really liked their attitude and hope our offense can take on a similar demeanor in 07.

Not sure about the Cap, it looks like they will lose some players but they have the most important pieces of the puzzle. Very good QB, very good coach and a system that works. This will be enough to make the play-offs, in the current NFL as long as you make the playoffs anything can happen (2001 Pats, 2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts).

With the Tampa 2 it is not as necessary to have all pro defensive players, it is based on flowing to the ball, speed and solid tackling:
  • D Line - Shoot gaps, rush straight upfield.
  • LBs - Undersized but fast, drop into coverage and chase plays.
  • CBs - Hardly ever in 1:1 coverage, play press, direct WR to Safeties.
  • S - They have a difference maker in Sanders, most plays the Safeties are back helping protect the corners.

They may dip down slightly but I think it is wishful thinking to assume they won't be part of the playoff picture.

Last edited:

They overcame injuries.

That is so right, Miguel.

The reality is that we raised the bar and a select few teams have figured out or are figuring out how to jump over it. It makes getting number four a lot harder, but who would we rather be today: the Patriots with three, newly minted Lombardis, $28MM+/- in cap room, two first round picks and the best QB, Coach and GM team in the business? or Da Bears, looking for a QB? the Chargers looking for a coach who can win a big game? The Colts with $5MM in cap room and a boatload of players with UFA and RFA status next year, facing a big let down after finally winning the big one? The Jets, wannabe's who also don't have a QB...etc, etc, etc.

Can anyone say they would rather be any other team in the NFL right now than the Patriots?

Last edited:
Good Lord, mikey.

How many times are you going to bring this up?

It's asinine. EVERY one of your posts says the EXACT same thing. It's the same idiotic "why don't the Pats surround Brady with high-priced WRs like the Colts do to Manning?"

Last edited:

They overcame injuries.

These are excellent points. Polian also deserves some credit, not for being an ass (which he certainly is), but for really excellent personnel work.

Moreover, the Colts have enjoyed fewer coaching turnovers than the Patriots, to put it mildly. This is, I still feel, the greatest loss we have suffered in the past few years. What could we have done with Weis and RAC still on board? Despite their shortcomings, they were clearly men the players loved to play for, and I think that NE has been missing that kind of camaraderie these past two years, sad to say...I think BB is a genius at football, but he does not seem to have the same sort of paternal connections that Charlie and Romeo brought to the team, and that is important. But that is for another thread...

I also see the Colts coaching adjustments getting better and better. Years of playing against Belichick and the boys have forced them to improve, and it has paid off at last. Kudos to them...

90% of this board didn't see them doing it THIS year.

In regards how the Colts do it. Polian is a master of the cap. He knows how to get it done.

Rhodes will end up on the Packers or something. He's as good as gone.

Master of the cap? Hardly. I will say this about your owner though. "He is one of the best in the game."The Colts had the highest cap number of any team in the NFL in signing bonuses paid out. Many of the bonuses came from his own pocket which in todays sports is pretty remarkable. I'll hand it to your owner,he is dedicated to putting a good team on the field and he invested alot of his own money in doing so. I think your GM was fortunate to have this guy and I don't think their is a GM in the NFL that would of succeeded in keeping that team together. That includes Pioli because it was financially impossible to do what they did without giving up huge signing bonuses to lower the cap # of Wayne 35mill and Harrison around28, just to name a couple.

It will be interesting to see what they do this offseason. Now that the Colt's have a SB under their belt, does the owner lay low and tone down the pocket book? Or does he continue to shell out large bonuses knowing that he will be making his money back in 08 or 09, when the new stadium opens it's doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft