PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hope they aren't rushing Gronk back early....

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm as excited as any Pats fan that Gronk will be coming back way ahead of schedule. There is hardly anyone out there that can help the O produce the way this guy can....and he is exciting for all sports fans to watch...not just us Patsfans. But I don't want to see him come rushing back early ....and be gone for another season way too early....or before we REALLY need him....in the PLAYOFFS! Say a prayer for Gronk....hopefully everything is fully healed and he will be good to go! Go Pats

I'm as excited as any Pats fan that Gronk will be coming back way ahead of schedule. There is hardly anyone out there that can help the O produce the way this guy can....and he is exciting for all sports fans to watch...not just us Patsfans. But I don't want to see him come rushing back early ....and be gone for another season way too early....or before we REALLY need him....in the PLAYOFFS! Say a prayer for Gronk....hopefully everything is fully healed and he will be good to go! Go Pats

Bringing him back early, and playing him are too entirely different things. Considering the first 4 games of the season, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him not dressing, or just playing sparingly while he gets his feet back under him. He might know the playbook inside out, but having not played since last year means there will still be some kinks to work out, especially on timing issues with Brady. Then there's the issue of taking that first big hit. :eek:

We'll see how it all plays out, but I figure both Belichick, the docs and the trainers know what they're doing. :D

Do we know he's coming back too early? Either via practice or live action? All I have read are media reports with sources close to the organization. Is this a cousin of a girlfriend of a player? Maybe its the same source Borges the liar used in the Rolling Stone piece (which all we know is someone associated with Hernandez so that must be reliable).
If he's cleared to practice then I would think it would come down to conditioning and how he responds the day after practice which will determine his availability. If this were the playoffs, maybe the standard for being healthy is lowered or at the very least vague.

He's got to play at some time. We can't keep him in cotton wool until he's needed.

Lets just see how it goes. for some people I guess it'll never be enough time for him to heal properly.

Should've PUP'd him..... the most important thing is having him healthy in the Playoffs.

I couldn't care less about weeks 1-6

Should've PUP'd him..... the most important thing is having him healthy in the Playoffs.

Would you think the same way if PATS PUPed Gronk and
then lost 3 of first 6 games where Gronk may have made the difference?

I am Ok with Gronk return. I just hope he is smarter now.
I mean, I wouldn't mind a few less catches from Gronk
if he had less acrobatic type catches.

I too hope we aren't rushing him back. Many say we don't know what these expert team doctors know but I am very sceptical of our docs as of late. I don't care what they say when the guy doesn't use his arm to block and then shortly after breaks it.

There are other instances such as Fanene and Adalius Thomas. Thomas bashed our doctors after he broke his arm and I have always thought it was weird that he never latched with another team afterward.

I could go on and on with guys like wheatley and his wrist. As well as crable and dowling. For once, I really hope they do not gamble with Gronk.

I think we can be pretty certain that the medical staff, not the coaching staff, is calling the shots with Gronkowski. The Patriots want Gronk around in the playoffs and have two years of negative results to draw on for 2013. A healthy Gronkowski would have made a significant difference in the Super Bowl and AFCC.

Taking off training camp from any hitting may already have served the purpose of reducing wear and tear so that Gronk can stay healthy for a full season. I also think he's one of those guys who should give way to the Sudfelds of this world when the game is in hand to reduce the number of hits he takes as the season progresses.

Nobody wants a Gronk out there who can get injured. We'll have to trust that the Patriots and the medical staff have more information than we do and are planning to get him in "game shape" when we need him the most.

The goal is to win games, but to be healthy for post season as well.

I share the sentiment that I hope they're not rushing him back. But I have to figure that the reason they let all those TEs go was because Gronk will be ready sooner than later. I have to think they have good assurance of that.

Several things:

• JPP had the same back surgery two weeks earlier than Gronk and he was activated last week. That shows that Gronk looks to be on a typical recovery period and the Pats aren't rushing him back.
  • I still don't get resting Gronk for the playoff arguments. None of Gronk's injuries have been degenerative injuries where he slowed down over the course of the season. All were all injuries that occured on a single play which could occur on the first play he plays no matter when he starts to play.
  • PUPing Gronk could be the difference in playoff seeding and possibly whether the Pats make the playoffs. We all think winning the division is a guaranteed, but it isn't. Losing to Arizona last year should have had huge playoff seeding ramifications last year, but the Pats were lucky that both Houston and Batimore had late season collapses. The Pats should have been the third or fourth seed. If Miami stuns people this year (not betting on it, but could happen), a loss in the first six games could cost the Pats the division.
  • I doubt the Pats would rush Gronk back. Belichick is a a strategic thinker. He would not risk seriously injury Gronk by rushing him back. The medical staff clearly gave him the ok and there is minimum risk of him reinjuring his back.

Mallett should QB the 1st 8 games to keep aging Brady fresh for the 8-0 race for the wildcard playoff spot.

Might as well bubble-wrap Amendola on PUP too given his injury history. :rolleyes:

The time line from the day he had surgery was always right around week one so I would say they are bringing him back right on schedule.

Good points

I too hope we aren't rushing him back. Many say we don't know what these expert team doctors know but I am very sceptical of our docs as of late. I don't care what they say when the guy doesn't use his arm to block and then shortly after breaks it.

There are other tinstances such as Fanene and Adalius Thomas. Thomas bashed our doctors after he broke his arm and I have always thought it was weird that he never latched with another team afterward.

I could go on and on with guys like wheatley and his wrist. As well as crable and dowling. For once, I really hope they do not gamble with Gronk.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are other instances such as Fanene and Adalius Thomas. Thomas bashed our doctors after he broke his arm and I have always thought it was weird that he never latched with another team afterward.

Here are some responses:
  • Adalius Thomas never played again after he left the Pats because his skills were clearly deteriorated and he had an attitude problem. His story happens every year. Once a player with an attitude doesn't have at least above average skills, no team wants him. It has nothing to do with anything medical. Thomas complained about everything, not just the doctors.
  • Fanene hid medical information that doesn't show on a typical physical when signing a contract. Blaming the doctors is a way to deflect blame and try to keep his bonus. The NFLPA last year filed a claim vs. the Chargers' doctor. It seems a strategy for NFLPA in cases like this.
  • I don't get your point about Crable, Dowling, and Wheatley. Crable tore two separate ACLs. What did the medical staff do there? Dowling had an injury history that went to high school (although his pre-NFL being injury prone has been overstated). Was it the Pats' medical staff that is responsible for his injuries in college and high school? And Wheatley's problem after his wrist injury was because he lost his nerve. He played soft. It happens to a lot of young players after big injuries. It makes them play scared.

Fanene is the only real evidence of anything wrong with the Pats' medical staff. And that may be more of a legal strategy than anything really wrong with the medical staff.

Should've PUP'd him...

1175290_656891814335183_1108563803_n.jpg

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore