PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley: Pats LOVE Ellis and Dorsey (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Michael Holley believes Patriots will draft Ellis or Dorsey

Hey Keegs, did you read Rook's dissing of your man LeKevin, in post #57? You gonna take that lying down?

IMHO, Just Say NO to Sedrick Ellis.

Re: Holley: Pats LOVE Ellis and Dorsey

As I've said before, I don't see where any NFL source has an interest in telling the truth when it comes to the draft these days.

That being said, assuming they don't trade down, when you pick at #7, if you can, you go with the "sure thing" player. You don't take a chance on a "project" or a guy who is going to cost you top tier money with no guarantee of earning it.

A proven player can always be traded for value. A #7 pick who was taken too early and needs years to develop is an albatross. So regardless of need at LB and CB, the Pats are going to take someone who can contribute immediately.

Re: Michael Holley believes Patriots will draft Ellis or Dorsey

And anyone who remembers Seymour playing NT as a rookie knows that its was a failed experiment that the Pats have refrained from revisiting.

Okay. First of all, Seymour was a Pro-Bowl NT. And as a young player, it's not like he coasted on name recognition. Failed experiment? No. Best fit? No. But Belichick took the gamble of moving a successful NT to DE.

Okay, back to the argument...

I started to read through this thread, but by post 50, my eyes started to hurt, so apologies if I am unwittingly plagiarizing someone(s). No apologies for the random nature.

When is the next time the Patriots are going to get the opportunity to draft a guy like Ellis or Dorsey? Not anytime soon. Those big, agile, smart football players tend to go in the first dozen picks. We can't rely on a Wilfork-type slide. So if Belichick really likes Dorsey or Ellis, and he feels they are the best value at #7, he will, and should draft them.

As said previously, Seymour's contract expires after the 2009 season. After the 2008 season, one of three things will happen:

A) Seymour will sign an extention designed to keep him a Patriot for a few more years.
B) Belichick will ask him for an extention and Rich will decline and be cut.
C) Seymour will play out his contract and leave as UFA.

A and B are the most likely scenarios. Even though the Patriots might have the Cap room to let Seymour play out his contract, it doesn't mean they'll let him take it up. Belichick had the cap room to keep Rosey this year. He had the cap room to let Rodney play for his original deal last season. In both cases BB felt that the player's value was no longer worth the cap hit their contracts called for. Seymour is due for a $11 million+ Cap hit next season. If he declines to renegotiate (and likely will to get one more Free Agent contract), he will either be cut, or if BB isn't sure of a replacement, he'll suck it up and allow Rich to play out the deal and take the Comp pick. Drafting D or E will allow Belichick to control that situation.

Why is Graham brought up as an example of drafting by need? Since Belichick traded up a dozen spots to get him, I'd say it was a player who had fallen past his value to BB. Ditto Chad Jackson. Now, these certainly were positions of perceived need, don't get me wrong. But if Belichick had stayed at his original draft position, it is unlikely he would have drafted whatever the top TE or WR remaining on his board was. That is drafting from need. Belichick gets the players he wants at the intersection of need and value. Which sometimes requires a trade up, sometimes a trade down. If he stands pat, he'll draft the best value available as opposed to the best player at a perceived position of need. Interestingly enough, Graham and Jackson were likely very different cases. It is likely Belichick targeted Graham with his combo of blocking and athleticism and knew he'd likely have to move up to get him. It is likely that Belichick never expected to get Jackson, and said Jeebus, I have this guy as a mid-1st rounder, and he's fallen to the mid-30s????? Let's grab him.

In conclusion, my first impulse was this report was a smoke screen to attempt to influence other players' sliding, but the more thought put into it, the more it wouldn't surprise me in the least for Belichick to draft D or E if they were available. At some point they're going to need youth at the physically demanding position of DE, and they might never be in a better position to land an elite talent and control that player for the next six years.

Last edited:
It makes alot of sense to draft a DL. They are so hard to come by, and when you have a chance to draft an elite one you do it. This will give there DL tons of depth, and also allow them to do a lot of defense. I must say I am a bit surprised that they don't like Gholston. I think taking him at #7 might make more sense, but apparently the Patriots love Ellis and Dorsey. I doubt they goto a 4-3 next yeat if they drafted either of them, but I bet they play alot of crazy fronts. Also, there is talk Chris Long maybe falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back