PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs on the bandwagon fans [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one of those who booed, but I have no problem with those who did. They pay an average of $100 a ticket. Ellis Hobbs may not be aware, but the economy isn't exactly great right now. People's disposable income is a lot tighter now. So if they give us a crap effort on the field, I think they can expect to hear crap back from the people who paid their hard earned money to see them. There's nothing that ticks me off more than millionaire athletes who complain about the fans that allow them to live the lifestyles that they live as pro athletes. I'm definitely off of Ellis Hobb's bandwagon.

Re: Hobbs on the bandwagon fans

You clearly know nothing about business. The end customer is the fan. The fan buys tickets, merchandise, and watches the games on television.

Most of the profit generated from those activities filters back to the owner of the team, who pays Hobb's salary. Kraft isn't going to shell out millions of dollars a year without that revenue stream to cover the costs... and yes, make him money on top of that.

The customer does not pay the salaries of the employees. The customer purchases the product or service. The employer is the one who uses that money for the various needs of the business, including paying the salaries of the employees. The customers don't "pay the salary" of the gas station attendant, or the cashier at the local drugstore, either.

Fans have a right to boo if they want to. We can certainly disagree about whether or not last Sunday was an appropriate time for it. Personally, I wouldn't have bood.

I never said they didn't have a right. We, as people, have all sorts of rights that we should not exercise under some circumstances. It's about time and place....

Last edited:
Sports is an entertainment business, fans pay for that entertainment through MANY various avenues (TV,Gates,Merchandise,etc...).

Anyone that thinks that the fans aren't paying the salaries of athletes, is just fooling themselves.

Just ask the Red Sox Brass why they keep adding seats, their answer will be:
"We need the $ to stay competitive"

This team has a lot of fans, many of them posting on this board, who became fans in the 2001 post season and who have no idea how hard it is to win and succeed in the NFL.

These fans have limited understanding of the game and a total inability to respect premier opponents like Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, John Elway or Brett Favre (they don't have to like them, but many of them don't even show respect for these great players).

They don't understand how much of a rarity and a privilege it is to have been able to support a team, in the post cap era, that went to five of seven AFCCG's and four of seven SB's, winning three of them--and that no doubt has another great season or two in it before it transforms itself into the "next version" of the Franchise.

You find fans like this on every board. The Indy board is ridiculously full of them, as is the Jests board. So, we're no different.

I stopped letting them bother me a long time ago, ignoring most of their embarassingly ignorant posts. It's just a shame that some of them have tickets to Foxboro and can show that ignorance in front of a national audience by actually booing a team like this. It was pathetic, as have been many of the posts on this board this week dissing players and coaches, who have dealt with losing the greatest QB of his era by managing to go 2--1 without him.

Sports is an entertainment business, fans pay for that entertainment through MANY various avenues (TV,Gates,Merchandise,etc...).

Anyone that thinks that the fans aren't paying the salaries of athletes, is just fooling themselves.

Just ask the Red Sox Brass why they keep adding seats, their answer will be:
"We need the $ to stay competitive"

Unless the basic NFL business model has fundamentally changed without my knowledge, fans neither hand their money over to the players nor hand the money over to players' designees. They do, however, fork cash over to employees who are designated to receive the money by the employers.

The fans have a right to express their displeasure with the performance they see on the field. The Patriots fans, for the most part, are extremely knowledgable. It's not the loss they were booing but such an inept performance against an inferior team.

The fans were behind them right from the start of the game. The very 1st series for the Phins, 3rd and long, I saw the fans rise in the endzone and heard the noise thye were making over the TV. It was the sub standard performance they were reacting to.

Hobbs makes a good point that we are spoiled by their success and that we have set the bar high for their performance. Unfortunately, he chose to air this through the media. If he had kept his thoughts to himself he may have avoided alienating the fans.

Personally, I haven't booed (wasn't at the game on Sunday) and never leave the game before the end (even pre-season), but thats just me.

Re: Hobbs on the bandwagon fans

Fans boo when the team is playing like crap and there is no effort to improve apon that...

The team gave the fans NO reason to cheer, not one bit... They continued to get WORSE as the game went on.

It's not a bad day, it was a day off...

I have to agree. If I spent $200 per ticket, money on parking, food, beer etc. and was shown a fairly sad display of football, I would want to boo as well. That said, I am a fairly enthusiastic fan of the team, I can understand what people getting upset when it's the bandwagon fans that boo at the smallest things.

I don’t think you read the quote correctly. He didn’t say he was mad about them booing, he said that he didn’t care either way so that goes for wins and loses.

At no point does he even come close to implying that he doesn't care about wins or losses.

At no point does he even come close to implying that he doesn't care about wins or losses.

Your right almighty superfan I’m over it you win

Your right almighty superfan I’m over it you win

Quit being a baby and show me where he implied he doesn't care about wins or losses. All he said is that he doesn't care about the fans who boo, and he shouldn't, because they don't know him or care about him as a person. The only thing that should concern him is bringing it 100% whenever he's on the field, because he owes it to his team and himself. He obviously gets that.

Quit being a baby and show me where he implied he doesn't care about wins or losses. All he said is that he doesn't care about the fans who boo, and he shouldn't, because they don't know him or care about him as a person. The only thing that should concern him is bringing it 100% whenever he's on the field, because he owes it to his team and himself. He obviously gets that.

It was just the way he phrased it that I didn’t like, when an athlete generalizes fans and puts a negative tone to it; it rubs me the wrong way.

Unless the basic NFL business model has fundamentally changed without my knowledge, fans neither hand their money over to the players nor hand the money over to players' designees. They do, however, fork cash over to employees who are designated to receive the money by the employers.

The "fans pay the players' salaries" if more figurative than literal. Without fans funneling money towards the team for tickets, jersey, concessions, etc there would be no league because the owners could not afford to pay the players' salaries.

As a refresher, in September 2006, the year the Patriots lost the AFC Championship game, there was booing then. This is an excerpt from Brady's press conference:

Q:. The crowd seemed a little restless there at the end of the first half? Did you notice that? Were you surprised they were booing at you guys?

TB: I don't blame them. I don't think we gave them much reason to cheer. They want to see us do some things offensively, put the ball in the end zone, and we turned the ball over. We can't complete a pass, and I would be booing up there too if I was them.

Enough said. All you whiners (and Hobbs) STFU!

i agree totally with Hobbs

I haven't read this entire thread so I'm not sure anyone's brought this up, but, has anyone considered the fact that many times a crowd tends to Boo when the opposing team scores, or makes a sack, or gets an interception? It's a normal crowd reaction. If an opposing cornerback picks off Cassel and the crowd boo' they're not neccessarily booing Cassel. They may, however, be booing the opposing teams cornerback, or a noncalled penelty et. remember last year when Penny went down and the fans cheered? That was a bad crowd. I really think we're overblowing this a bit.

As a refresher, in September 2006, the year the Patriots lost the AFC Championship game, there was booing then. This is an excerpt from Brady's press conference:

Q:. The crowd seemed a little restless there at the end of the first half? Did you notice that? Were you surprised they were booing at you guys?

TB: I don't blame them. I don't think we gave them much reason to cheer. They want to see us do some things offensively, put the ball in the end zone, and we turned the ball over. We can't complete a pass, and I would be booing up there too if I was them.

Enough said. All you whiners (and Hobbs) STFU!

+1. I wasn't at the game but I did watch it until the game was completely
over. Had I been at the game I would not have booed (just not me) but I
completely understand the sentiment. As BB has said many time, yesterday
is yesterday, today is today. They got booed, big deal. Grow a pair Mr
Hobbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back