PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs = Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobbs is the weak-link of the Pats secondary. The opposition DOES throw to his side to take advantage of the sure mis-match. Sure he gives good sound-bite, he's a good kr - but he's a mediocre DB at best. Let's be honest here.

That's not what BB says, or Dean Pees, or his teamtes, and they know a lot more about it than mediots and message board football geniuses.

Without trying to diss all of you and make you look like the total ignoramusses you are, Bill continuously mentions of late that what you see on broadcast TV is barely worth watching from a coaching standpoint. Absent coaches tape and knowledge of what the coverage called for and how the players responded to what the opposing offense actually did, all the armchair know it alls are just kneejerk critics crucifying perceived targets.

So Ellis' analogy is pretty spot on. The half baked hypercritical Boston sports media has built up this kind of mentality in its readership over generations. Today's mediots like to call it "being objective" or "not a homer". Of course this is coming from the same clowns whose peers crucified a HOF HC for most of the first two years of his now 8 year tenure here. After all, they had Clevelend to point to where he was clearly worthless pond scum who tore a beloved franchise apart. Not to mention he resigned on a ****tailnapkin in NY which hinted he was an unbalanced backstabber. And then he lied to our HOF QB and replaced him with some 6th round game manager who could only throw sideways because he had a mediocre arm.

This board has really undergone a downturn this season. We're like a league that expands beyond the available talent to support it. This dynasty team deserves a more intelligent fanbase that grasps the difference between passionate interest and hypercritical obcessive hystrionics, which is 90% of what is going on here lately on the heels (or the verge depending on your perspective) of a perfect season. It's sad, and it makes me ashamed of how poorly this segment of our fan base reflects on the broader fan base as well as the team. With fans like this, it's no wonder we have enemies.

That's not what BB says, or Dean Pees, or his teamtes, and they know a lot more about it than mediots and message board football geniuses.

Without trying to diss all of you and make you look like the total ignoramusses you are, Bill continuously mentions of late that what you see on broadcast TV is barely worth watching from a coaching standpoint. Absent coaches tape and knowledge of what the coverage called for and how the players responded to what the opposing offense actually did, all the armchair know it alls are just kneejerk critics crucifying perceived targets.

So Ellis' analogy is pretty spot on. The half baked hypercritical Boston sports media has built up this kind of mentality in its readership over generations. Today's mediots like to call it "being objective" or "not a homer". Of course this is coming from the same clowns whose peers crucified a HOF HC for most of the first two years of his now 8 year tenure here. After all, they had Clevelend to point to where he was clearly worthless pond scum who tore a beloved franchise apart. Not to mention he resigned on a ****tailnapkin in NY which hinted he was an unbalanced backstabber. And then he lied to our HOF QB and replaced him with some 6th round game manager who could only throw sideways because he had a mediocre arm.

This board has really undergone a downturn this season. We're like a league that expands beyond the available talent to support it. This dynasty team deserves a more intelligent fanbase that grasps the difference between passionate interest and hypercritical obcessive hystrionics, which is 90% of what is going on here lately on the heels (or the verge depending on your perspective) of a perfect season. It's sad, and it makes me ashamed of how poorly this segment of our fan base reflects on the broader fan base as well as the team. With fans like this, it's no wonder we have enemies.

Amen, brother.

Hobbs is the weak-link of the Pats secondary. The opposition DOES throw to his side to take advantage of the sure mis-match. Sure he gives good sound-bite, he's a good kr - but he's a mediocre DB at best. Let's be honest here.

Why don't you check the stats in the article and realize your preconceived notions are 100% wrong. Thanks

I think ive voiced my opinion on Hobbs quite enough to have everyone know that i think he is the real deal.

Dont get all the hate.

I don't get it either. I think Hobbs is solid. He doesn't have great size but he is quick enough to hang with receivers and has good burst to the football. He takes fewer chances than Samuel and is pretty good about tackling if a pass is completed on him. He talks a lot but from the way he plays it's clear he's a team guy.

I'm just shocked that Karen Guregian actually wrote a halfway decent article :eek:

Oh yes, God Forbid we don't all get in line and tow the homer line! Blind homerism and arrogance is what reflects poorly on the broader fan base.

Really now, saying that a Pats DB is mediocre means I'm a bad fan and that it reflects poorly on the team? What cult do you belong to? Wow - get a grip.

I have stated a opinion I beleive in. Hobbs is the weak-link. Sorry. It does not make me less of a fan, it does not mean I love the Pats less than any of you do. That said, we should all be used to it since this regime has always authored the "bend but don't break" secondary where scheme and smarts are emphasized over size and speed.

That said, I beleive that the Jags will have trouble keeping up with the Pats Offense.

Last edited:
Oh yes, God Forbid we don't all get in line and tow the homer line! Blind homerism and arrogance is what reflects poorly on the broader fan base.

Really now, saying that a Pats DB is mediocre means I'm a bad fan and that it reflects poorly on the team? What cult do you belong to? Wow - get a grip.

I have stated a opinion I beleive in. Hobbs is the weak-link. Sorry. It does not make me less of a fan, it does not mean I love the Pats less than any of you do. That said, we should all be used to it since this regime has always authored the "bend but don't break" secondary where scheme and smarts are emphasized over size and speed.

That said, I beleive that the Jags will have trouble keeping up with the Pats Offense.

I agree that critcism should still be fair game, but I do have to agree that this board (along with many others) took a turn for the worse this season. I like the phrase "hypercritical obsessive hystrionics" because it does seem as if a large segment of those making criticisms went way overboard in doing so.

It also got to the point by midseason that analysis was largely ignored because there was little else to say that hadn't already been said.

EDIT: Hopefully we can get three more wins this year and another season like this next year to redeem ourselves. :rocker:

As far as Hobbs goes, I agree with you that he is a "weak link" but I think that what needs to be stated alongside that is the fact that NE's weak link is most other teams' solid starter. Hobbs is a fine CB who just happens to play opposite an elite guy.

I don't think it is an accident that the coaches went out of their way to defend Hobbs.

Last edited:
Hey! Without Hobbs what would the Colts do when they need a phantom PI call in the end zone? he is an integral part of both teams.

Here are the numbers from the article, which you clearly didn't bother with:

1.) Opposing teams threw at Hobbs 106 times, 13th most in the NFL

2.) Samuel was thrown at 94 times

3.) Receivers Hobbs covered scored 4 touchdowns, 45th most in the NFL

4.) Asante surrendered 6 touchdowns to receivers he was covering

5.) Dré Bly and Jason David surrendered the league high of 10

6.) Hobbs allowed a 54.7% completion rate, better than 157 defenders in the NFL (30 att. min)

7.) Asante allowed a 53.2% completion rate

You made a post which, in the context of the thread, was silly at best. Did you expect to get a cookie?

Last edited:
Here are the numbers from the article, which you clearly didn't bother with:

1.) Opposing teams threw at Hobbs 106 times, 13th most in the NFL

2.) Samuel was thrown at 94 times

3.) Receivers Hobbs covered scored 4 touchdowns, 45th most in the NFL

4.) Asante surrendered 6 touchdowns to receivers he was covering

5.) Dré Bly and Jason David surrendered the league high of 10

6.) Hobbs allowed a 54.7% completion rate, better than 157 defenders in the NFL (30 att. min)

7.) Asante allowed a 53.2% completion rate

You made a post which, in the context of the thread, was silly at best. Did you expect to get a cookie?

Gotta love the facts.

Oh and don't forget in the Bengals game the Patriots coaches switched our "weak-link" to the side of the field that CHAD JOHNSON was so that he could cover him. Aren't our coaches stupid for putting a "mediocre" DB on CHAD FRIGGIN JOHNSON!?

Yes, stats are a good way of proving pretty much nothing.

Did you WATCH the games this year?

BTW - Chad's not the best receiver on the Bengals. ;)

Last edited:

I watched the games. Apparently you either chose not to or didn't bother actually paying attention to what you saw. Don't feel bad, you weren't alone. Many other so-called fans were crying and Moaning about Hobbs without knowing anything about the scheme of the defense, just as you were. Then again, most of those same clowns were calling Maroney and Meriweather busts, too.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that opposing teams were more likely to score touchdowns by throwing at Samuel than at Hobbs, does it? I know, I know..... details.

You still haven't earned that cookie.

Last edited:
I watched the games. Apparently you either chose not to or didn't bother actually paying attention to what you saw. Don't feel bad, you weren't alone. Many other so-called fans were crying and Moaning about Hobbs without knowing anything about the scheme of the defense, just as you were. Then again, most of those same clowns were calling Maroney and Meriweather busts, too.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that opposing teams were more likely to score touchdowns by throwing at Samuel than at Hobbs, does it? I know, I know..... details.

You still haven't earned that cookie.

Hobbs gave up more TD's over the second half of the season, while Samuel gave up more TD's over the first half of the season, though.

That being said, I think Hobbs is better than a lot of fans on this board seem to realize. Considering how many times he's been thrown at, his only giving up 4 TD's, and a completion percentage of just 54.7% is very good.

And Reggie Wayne isn't the best receiver on the Colts :rolleyes:

So watching the games does what to disprove the stats listed above? By watching the games you saw Hobbs get thrown at less often, more often than those numbers? He let up more TD's than those numbers? He let up a higher completion % than those numbers?

Since you like to rely on "WATCHING" games to judge Hobbs, answer this. What are you comparing him to when you call him mediocre? Are you comparing him to only Samuel or have you watched every game of every team to be able to compare him with the rest of the DB's in the NFL with your EYES and WATCHING?

My guess is you simply watch the patriots and have a fantasy idea of other teams as if no other DB allows a single pass completion or TD. Since stats tell us NOTHING, give me some factual evidence of what you compare Hobbs to to decide he is mediocre.

I'll bet you ignore this post or rip one word/line out of it ;)

It would be like if baked a cake or painted a picture and compared myself to god because I created something. Hobbs is comparing himself to Jesus because he has "haters" just like Jesus did.

Bad? Not necessarily. Flawed logic? Most certainly.

Not really. Its a solid use of an example to demonstrate a point.

Jesus = really really good.
People criticized Jesus despite his being really really good.
Therefore, criticism is not a reflection of actual value or goodness.

Since it seems to be the religious portion that bothers you, how about a classic example. Jesus forgave the centurion even knowing what he was going to do, so you can forgive <insert person who dealt you a petty grievance>. Thats not saying that, say, cutting in line is the same as stabbing Jesus. Its a comparison.

And Hobbs is an average CB.

Hobbs makes me a bit nervous this week because Jax has tall recievers.

Since it seems to be the religious portion that bothers you, how about a classic example. Jesus forgave the centurion even knowing what he was going to do, so you can forgive <insert person who dealt you a petty grievance>. Thats not saying that, say, cutting in line is the same as stabbing Jesus. Its a comparison.

If you believe in that stuff (and it appears Mr. Hobbs does) then Jesus is God made flesh (essentially). So, Hobbs, by comparing himself to Jesus is comparing himself to God. That's a little extreme.

There are plenty of other examples that you could site that wouldn't seem so silly.

I'm not a religious guy myself but when someone compares themselves to a deity it gets me a little riled.

If you believe in that stuff (and it appears Mr. Hobbs does) then Jesus is God made flesh (essentially). So, Hobbs, by comparing himself to Jesus is comparing himself to God. That's a little extreme.

There are plenty of other examples that you could site that wouldn't seem so silly.

I'm not a religious guy myself but when someone compares themselves to a deity it gets me a little riled.

He's pointing to a perfect person and pointing out that even that same perfect person was insulted, derided and belittled, and using that as context for explaining why he's not worried that people are insulting and belittling him. Stop looking for things to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes