PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower to retire? Rumor (Closed -Dismissed as Bogus Source)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That SpikeKing76 guy loves to start rumors. I've seen that name attached to just about all of them in 2021.

That being said, I've never been completely confident that Hightower would even be the player we expect him to be in 2021. Injuries and age have to take their toll eventually.

Meh idk if i buy it but he just started a family so he might be thinking about his future long term.

Seems a completely unverified rumour based on one account but it might explain all the pieces added at edge and linebacker this off season. It seemed a little unclear how they would all make the roster.

Hightower never confirmed officially that he was coming back so we have to wait and see

I would be shocked if he just retired. I don't like the Pats stand up linebackers very much without Hightower. Bentley wasn't very good last year, I guess Van Noy can play some off the line linebacker but he won't hold up taking all the reps there.

You would think the Pats would have taken Jeremiah Owusu Korimoah in round 2 if there were real concern that HT was going to retire...

Can we just delete this thread ?

Some random twitter bozo who keeps talking about Julio Jones and OBJ as trade options and who has zero credibility is not a source.

This is below Felger tier. Hell, we had reports of HT calling the new Bama rookies right after the draft to get in touch.

That guy on Twitter is full of crap. He says we are trading for Julio pretty much every single year. With that being said I wouldn't be shocked if Hightower does retire. I am hoping we find out sooner rather than later.

1. Spike King's reply to that November Hightower tweet says that Cannon would also be retiring, which appears to be entirely debunked. He also has some history of other big misses, recently predicting week 10 Pats/Falcons in London, week 11 bye, and week 12 Pats/Bucs on Thanksgiving. Yikes.

2. Of course it's not guaranteed that Hightower will be back. If he doesn't have a strong offseason and training camp, then they're not paying him $10 million next season. It's a positive that his physical after the season went well enough that they didn't cut him on the spot, but that evaluation will be ongoing, perhaps as soon as next week's OTAs. If he doesn't feel like he can live up to that contract, then it could also make sense to go out on his own terms rather than going through a whole training camp only to get cut.

3. It appears that Chung's retirement will be official after June 1 for the cap benefits. There's no benefit to waiting with Hightower since he's in the last year of his contract. If they had an answer on him, then they would have made a move earlier when there were more ways to spend that cap money.

4. The first tweet is from patriotnews247, an imposter of patriotsnews247, who is a real person attempting to break Patriots news. The real account has reliability issues of his own, which the imposter account appears to be poking fun at. There's some real drama right now about whether the imposter is Spike King himself, somebody from his "Pats Chat" group, or an entirely separate third party.

Anyone could have reasonably started this rumor, since HT's been relatively quiet on this front. Would anyone be shocked if it's true?

But that doesn't mean this guy knows anything - flinging often-wild, somewhat-possible "rumors" is how people get noticed in the age of little accomplishment.

I just checked out that guy's Twitter and most of his posts are BS or him pumping himself up. Man, Twitter is a cesspool.

Anyway, I hope Hightower doesn't retire but who knows.

Delete thread. Hes as useful as lint.

Isn't this the same guy that recently said the Patriots were going to trade for OBJ and Julio Jones, and got the Pats 2021 schedule all wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes