PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: No Problem with Jones After All? It Sounds like a Report by Volin on WEEI Wednesday May Have Come From a Bogus Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this is the bogus report will linger and the correction is buried. He needs to go on WEEI and explain exactly what he got wrong and how he was duped or the apology will be lost in the ether and the bogus story will become truth in a lot of people's minds.
It will linger on here, MAYBE. Outside of here, the original report never really gained any traction.

Refresh my memory hasn't Volin done this before? What did he do last time?

Volin has said so many dumb/biased/false things in the past, it’s hard to remember them all. Two that come to mind are:

When AEI published a report critical of the Wells Report analysis, Volin immediately claimed it was driven by Robert Kraft because one of the donors to AEI was the Kraft Group. Of course, that was a different Kraft, but Volin was in such a hurry to find fault with the report, it didn’t occur to him that completely unrelated people can have the same last name.

6 years ago, Patriots linebacker Darius Fleming rescued a woman involved in a car crash. In any other sports town, this would have been a feel good story. For Volin, it was a chance to turn this into a negative. Volin reached out to the Foxboro PD, who said they had no record of the accident. He reported that and insinuated that Fleming made the whole thing up. The problem was, the accident did really happen and Fleming did really help the crash victim. Either the state police or the police from a neighboring town responded to the accident, which was why the Foxboro PD weren't involved. Volin never checked with anyone else before running with his version of events.

The big question with Volin is if he does these things because he's being intentionally malicious or if he's really just that dumb.

Once TV media became mainstream, the print v broadcast war really heated up. There were standards in both, and they were taken seriously. News and Opinion were separated. Then profits started to be affected. Instead of who could verify and report first, it has become (for a while now) "just get the story out - we'll fix spin any errors in the follow up."

Walter Cronkite used to be the most trusted voice in America. 60 minutes would show up at a corporation's headquarters and their very presence could hurt the stock price. Now it's all narrative over facts. 60 minutes is a shell of itself - more akin to an SNL skit IMHO. Sad, really.
60 Minutes, to me, used to be the standard of journalistic integrity. Then, about six or so years ago, they went down the rabbit hole as well. I still watch the program because, from time to time, they put out an excellent piece. But my trust in them has waned, and it’s waned badly.

It will linger on here, MAYBE. Outside of here, the original report never really gained any traction.

I heard them talk about it on both the midday show and the afternoon show on 98.5 yesterday. Zo and Betrand dismissed it. Felger and Mazz treated it like fact. So it is gaining some traction.

And let's face it. Just like any news story these days, if the story fits the person's biases, they take it as fact and will run with it no matter if it is debunked. So many pro-Zappe people will believe it even if they see Volin's retraction.

I heard them talk about it on both the midday show and the afternoon show on 98.5 yesterday. Zo and Betrand dismissed it. Felger and Mazz treated it like fact. So it is gaining some traction.

Locally, maybe. Who cares about them? It didn’t gain any traction nationwide.

And let's face it. Just like any news story these days, if the story fits the person's biases, they take it as fact and will run with it no matter if it is debunked. So many pro-Zappe people will believe it even if they see Volin's retraction.

People have done that even after the retraction? I haven’t seen it on here. Do you have examples?

Locally, maybe. Who cares about them? It didn’t gain any traction nationwide.

People have done that even after the retraction? I haven’t seen it on here. Do you have examples?

Too early to tell after the retraction. Volin retracted it less than an hour ago. I am just forming an opinion based off other past news stories that have been debunked that people who want to believe it to be true will continue to believe it. And I am not just talking sports.

Too early to tell after the retraction. Volin retracted it less than an hour ago. I am just forming an opinion based off other past news stories that have been debunked that people who want to believe it to be true will continue to believe it. And I am not just talking sports.
Examples? Or would that turn the thread political? If so, then don’t worry about it. I’m aware.

Doesn’t surprise me that Felger still ran with it. He’s a troll, this fan base is very easy to troll, and it’s lucrative for him. I’ve honestly never seen anything like how people on this board respond to trolling. Absolutely nobody ignores it. Two days ago, I trolled some guy in the “War” thread simply by telling him he didn’t serve in the military (then that he had less than zero, or -1, service). I had to stop because he was so outraged that he was about to divulge some very personal details to me in order to prove that he actually served. Didn’t want that to happen.

Examples? Or would that turn the thread political? If so, then don’t worry about it. I’m aware.

Doesn’t surprise me that Felger still ran with it. He’s a troll, this fan base is very easy to troll, and it’s lucrative for him. I’ve honestly never seen anything like how people on this board respond to trolling. Absolutely nobody ignores it. Two days ago, I trolled some guy in the “War” thread simply by telling him he didn’t serve in the military (then that he had less than zero, or -1, service). I had to stop because he was so outraged that he was about to divulge some very personal details to me in order to prove that he actually served. Didn’t want that to happen.

Most of them would be of the political nature. But face it. Most people treat politics these days the way they treat their sports. They root for their team no matter what.

But you can look at a lot of things like Deflategate where people in other parts of the country still believe the original deflation numbers given by the league to Chris Mortensen that do not match what was in the Wells report that debunks those stories.

And I do agree with you about Felger. I doubt he even believed the story and knew it was fake but ran with it.

Oof, he really did report on the DMs from a random guy.

I like how casual about it he is. What a douche.

The thing about this incident is that while he's the Globe guy, he was probably on the show in an independent capacity, so he wasn't working for the Globe when he said what he did. And he didn't put it in the Globe, so his employer can't claim that he violated their standards. So at worst, he probably doesn't appear on WEEI and his Globe editor will give his print stuff a little more scrutiny.

@Kontra, that being said,if you were referring to the fact pfk made a political comment,then I agree with you. I prefer not to see those especially on the main board,whether I agree with them or not.
Lmao at myself. I just posted a political one. Hey late night last night need coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back