PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hate seeing stuff like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots are pretty much viewed as a soft team and stuff like this doesn't help.

I remember thinking Hernandez was soft once upon a time...gulp...glad I never had a chance to voice that one.

If you let another person's behavior dictate yours, even allow it to be a distraction, you are allowing them to determine the field of play and the terms of engagement.

The only thing that matters in a football game is having a higher score at the end (and avoiding injuries and anything else that will harm your ability to have a higher score in games going forward). There's no artistic merit medal, or macho metric.

There was no harm done to our football team's efforts at having a higher score by this guy's behavior. If the ref hadn't seen it, it would have had no impact on the game, unless the Patriots decide to let it have that impact.

Being embarrassed by that is a choice, and a loss of focus.

I disagree that their is no harm to the team. You are sending a message to the rest of the league that our team is easy to push around and intimidate. And that's exactly what that jackass was trying to do. It's nice to show restraint and let the other team get the penalties. But this is TOM FRIGGEN BRADY ! You can't allow that to happen. There is NOTHING wrong with showing some passion and sticking up for your teammate. You think our SB winning teams would have allowed that, no friggen way.

To me the whole 'Pats are soft', 'Pats are a finesse team', 'Pats can't beat physical teams' is just a bunch of smack talk that fans of rival teams throw out there - and that some in the media have picked up on in the name of ratings.

Just last year the Patriots beat a team that ranked 2nd in yards allowed and 4th in points allowed, twice beat a team that ranked 7th in points allowed, and twice beat another team that ranked in the top ten in both points and yards allowed.

How in the world does that happen if the Patriots are allegedly so weak, soft, and not physical?

So the team that was more physical won. News flash: in almost all cases the team that was more physical that day, that won the individual and collective battles in the trenches, that tackled better, that made more hits wins the game.

There is a major difference between not getting it done in that regard in one game - especially when it is a preseason game - and "never" winning the physical aspects of a game (blocking, tackling and hitting).

A bit of perspective, especially in the pre-season: it's never as good as you think it is when you win (week one and two), and it's never as bad as you think it is when you lose (week three). In a way, this is the perfect time for a bad game such as this. It gives Belichick and the coaching staff a chance to keep new players grounded, have the entire team eat some humble pie, and it provides plenty of teachable moments between now and the start of the season.

retaliate on the scoreboard

OT, but this reminded me...

Years ago, my son went to the Groton School. They played Lawrence Academy in football (Lawrence recruits athletes...Groton not so much).

As usual, Lawrence was pounding the crap out of Groton and their fans started chanting, "Score Board! Score Board!" to which the Groton (among the top academic schools in the country) students retaliated, "Board Scores! Board Scores!"

Game, set, match.

It's all perspective.

I'm sure BB will show this film on practice. Maybe it will light a fire in some of these players heads.

If you let another person's behavior dictate yours, even allow it to be a distraction, you are allowing them to determine the field of play and the terms of engagement.

The only thing that matters in a football game is having a higher score at the end (and avoiding injuries and anything else that will harm your ability to have a higher score in games going forward). There's no artistic merit medal, or macho metric.

There was no harm done to our football team's efforts at having a higher score by this guy's behavior. If the ref hadn't seen it, it would have had no impact on the game, unless the Patriots decide to let it have that impact.

Being embarrassed by that is a choice, and a loss of focus.

...it was a preseason game.

To me the whole 'Pats are soft', 'Pats are a finesse team', 'Pats can't beat physical teams' is just a bunch of smack talk that fans of rival teams throw out there - and that some in the media have picked up on in the name of ratings.

Yup. And the fans who fall for that smack talk are soft.

I think the story is that as currently comprised this team will not be the most physical team when it matters in January. I've been a fan for 40+ years, and since the championship years we've become progressively more finesse on the o-line and on defense. This team is capable of beating anybody because of TB, but not 3 or 4 consecutive wins against the best. Trying not to overreact to 1 preseason game, but while watching could'nt help but wonder if this is the year all those wasted high round picks bite us in the *****.

The Patriots are pretty much viewed as a soft team and stuff like this doesn't help.
No offense to you, but that notion is a steaming pile of BS. The teams and fans of those teams who spew that nonsense are jealous and since they get their asses whipped on the scoreboard by the Pats, they resort to propagating the Big Lie. It's the last refuge of losers.

Funny, I assumed it was the 4 turnovers in the first quarter that cost us this game, not some nebulous notion of the Pats getting bullied. And if you look at those turnovers, not a single one of them was caused by a big hit or a scared receiver. They were lack of concentration and some bumble****** route running. Or are you implying that Dobson ran into the defender on that cross because he was intimidated?

I have a Hockey mentality, you never let someone get in the face of your QB like that, I don't care if we get 100 yard penalty, you pound that ************ into the ground. How embarrassing, I'm embarrassed that the Pats didn't show up, and also played like a bunch of wussies. This team is too finesse, tough teams beat the crap out of us. We need a team full of Logan Mankins'.

This is football, not MMA.... :rolleyes:

I actually appreciated how Brady kept it classy and didn't even look at that douchebag.

The most embarrassing event last night was the way the offense was offensive. They stunk up the joint, I almost thought it was the Jests in Patriot uniforms.

This is what I was talking about a few months ago when discussing the Pats losing in the playoffs.

They often come out weak mentally. They look afraid in the postseason. The staff should just let the players be who they are and let them do what they wanna do provided it doesn't get out of hand off the field or on it.

In both super bowls against the Giants, the pats seemed to be way more tense. Even in the Ravens championship game last season, the fans weren't cheering a loud, and they just wanted to get out there without putting up a fight.

This is football, not MMA.... :rolleyes:

I actually appreciated how Brady kept it classy and didn't even look at that douchebag.

I really enjoyed the "who the **** is this guy?" shrug, personally.

This is what I was talking about a few months ago when discussing the Pats losing in the playoffs.

They often come out weak mentally. They look afraid in the postseason. The staff should just let the players be who they are and let them do what they wanna do provided it doesn't get out of hand off the field or on it.

In both super bowls against the Giants, the pats seemed to be way more tense. Even in the Ravens championship game last season, the fans weren't cheering a loud, and they just wanted to get out there without putting up a fight.

Thing is, putting up a fight and being physically tough doesn't necessitate retaliating and being stupid.

The strong/smart teams figure out ways to kick the crap out of the other team within the confines of the rules.

This is what Rodney Harrison did to Vince Young right after a Titan roughed up Brady in the preseason a few years ago

Rodney Harrison Vince Young preseason - YouTube

That's the kind of attitude I want from my team.

You have that in Spikes and the one time he did it Ryan Fitzpatrick cried like a baby, a flag was thrown and Spikes got fined.

But also that was Belichick blitzing Harrison and him coming in untouched and Young not seeing him and Harrison doing what he normally did.

I think people are reading into that play a little too much.

This is what Rodney Harrison did to Vince Young right after a Titan roughed up Brady in the preseason a few years ago

Rodney Harrison Vince Young preseason - YouTube

That's the kind of attitude I want from my team.

Also, Rodney had just taken a dirty shot at the end of the 2006 season as well, so he was probably chomping at the bit for some payback already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents