PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guys its not over lets stand strong THIS IS A CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even without Gronk, the 2016 offense is better in almost every way than 2013's. Losing Gronk sucks in just about the worst way, but if we've ever had a team that could weather the loss, it's this one. And if there was ever a year that the landscape of the AFC allows for losing him, it's this year.

We still have a really good shot to make the Super Bowl without him, and with how the timeline looks maybe he can come back then. The road got a lot harder, but this is nothing like any of the comparisons you're throwing out there. Even without Gronk, there still isn't a team I can point to in the AFC and say they're definitely better than us. If we can take care of business down the stretch and lock up a bye, we still have a pretty good shot. It's a big step down from being basically guaranteed a spot in the AFCCG, but it's far from over.

Need HFA. I hope mitchell's ready to be a playmaker. Bennett also has to step up and be that guy now that gronk's gone.

Anyone who isn't rainbows and sunshine about this team 24/7 is a chicken little apparently. Something I've noticed.
How about something rational, such as somewhere in the middle? Look, if losing Gronk means that the Patriots are unequivocally eliminated as SB contenders, then Brady and all of the other offensive weapons on this team and the coaches, etc. aren't as good as we thought. And I think they are.

Like I mentioned in a thread, Gronk is a HUGE Loss. With that said, its not like I'm waving white flag on this season. Yes it got that much tougher and HFA throughout is always imperative.
JMac, DO YOUR JOB! Get a game plan together lets do this!

Need HFA. I hope mitchell's ready to be a playmaker. Bennett also has to step up and be that guy now that gronk's gone.

Yeah, we need some guys who were kinda luxuries before to become core players to make up for the loss. I'm looking at pretty much the same guys that you are: Bennett, Mitchell and also Lewis + Edelman, since his role has dropped off pretty noticeably this year. If 2 of those 4 guys can handle a significantly increased role, I think we have a good shot. If 3 of those 4 can do it, we still might be the AFC favorite.

It sucks, and I feel a lot worse about this team's chances than I did this morning, but we have guys who have shown signs of being able to step up. This isn't 2013, thank god

Don't bet on it with this defense and no Gronk, Goodell wins again.
I know, if we only had a defense that would allow more big plays and points, we could overcome this loss.

Yeah, we need some guys who were kinda luxuries before to become core players to make up for the loss. I'm looking at pretty much the same guys that you are: Bennett, Mitchell and also Lewis + Edelman, since his role has dropped off pretty noticeably this year. If 2 of those 4 guys can handle a significantly increased role, I think we have a good shot. If 3 of those 4 can do it, we still might be the AFC favorite.

It sucks, and I feel a lot worse about this team's chances than I did this morning, but we have guys who have shown signs of being able to step up. This isn't 2013, thank god

Bennett
Edelman
Mitchell
Hogan
Lewis

That still seems like the potential to be a loaded offense. Mitchell needs to be legit though.

Like I mentioned in a thread, Gronk is a HUGE Loss. With that said, its not like I'm waving white flag on this season. Yes it got that much tougher and HFA throughout is always imperative.
JMac, DO YOUR JOB! Get a game plan together lets do this!
Bennett is a viable replacement for Gronk. Put it this way Brady+Bennett is better than any other QB+TE combo in the NFL.
Bennett gets replaced by Mitchell as we move from a 2 TE offense to a 3 WR offense.
We will probably pick up Clay Harbor or someone similar for the 2 TE sets to help the run game.

no gronk and a bad defense...

brady's passer rating dips 20 points without gronk...this aint good no matter how you spin it!

no gronk and a bad defense...

brady's passer rating dips 20 points without gronk...this aint good no matter how you spin it!
Oh my God, your reaction is doom. Maybe this is the time you are right. Maybe not.

Oh my God, your reaction is doom. Maybe this is the time you are right. Maybe not.

i hope im wrong...but he's having his 3rd back surgery at 27. hard to be positive about this...

now im reading about potential nerve damage. :(

Bennett is a viable replacement for Gronk. Put it this way Brady+Bennett is better than any other QB+TE combo in the NFL.
Bennett gets replaced by Mitchell as we move from a 2 TE offense to a 3 WR offense.
We will probably pick up Clay Harbor or someone similar for the 2 TE sets to help the run game.

Thats what I was thinking about a 3 WR set, Mitchell is more than capable of being dependable for Brady. Can see us picking up another TE and running game gets a boost with Lewis returning.

The loss of a Pro Bowl player is a big loss. No one is arguing that particular point.

The nuance is the depth this offense has in comparison to past years. Everyone has already forgotten (apparently) the huge role Amendola played in 2014 after a basically invisible regular season. The offense has not one, but two excellent pass catching RBs. They are a MUCH better running team than last season. Hogan is a solid outside WR akin to or better than past years. Mitchell MAY be a wild card growing into a bigger role.

And Bennett is an upgrade over past years when we lost Gronk.

So yes, much harder road, but in no way the end of the world as we know it nor in regards to playoffs and beyond. Those are still in play, just more difficult, but less so than past years because of another good job by the GM to round out the middle class of the roster to ensure that ONE player lost doesn't necessarily guarantee a certain outcome.

Anyone who isn't rainbows and sunshine about this team 24/7 is a chicken little apparently. Something I've noticed.

Beat me to it. Also, anyone who is realistic and honest about the blow this is to our team.

For those comparing this to the 2013 season:

2013 vs. 2016

Running backs
22 Stevan Ridley < Dion Lewis
34 Shane Vereen = James White
29 LeGarrette Blount = LeGarrette Blount
38 Brandon Bolden = Brandon Bolden
46 James Develin = James Develin

Wide receivers
11 Julian Edelman = Julian Edelman
80 Danny Amendola = Danny Amendola
85 Kenbrell Thompkins < Chris Hogan
10 Austin Collie < Malcolm Mitchell
18 Matthew Slater = Matthew Slater

Tight ends
47 Michael Hoomanawanui < Martellus Bennett
88 Matthew Mulligan = Matt Lengel

I see four upgrades and what I'll call a wash between Vereen/White and Mulligan/Lengel.

There is not a team this year as dominant as the '13 Broncos '13 seahawks we are fine there is not a juggernaut of football team this year that everybody is worried or talking about
It also amuses me how people are looking at 2013 and calling it a disaster - as if making the CCG and losing on the road to a very talented Broncos team by 10 points is a "disaster."

It also amuses me how people are looking at 2013 and calling it a disaster - as if making the CCG and losing on the road to a very talented Broncos team by 10 points is a "disaster."

No Gronk either in that '13 postseason

No its not over.... But lets just say I'm a bit hesitant to declare this season a championship season after losing arguably our most important player on the team for the year. Let's just see what happens, but I'm mentally prepared to lose now.

Beat me to it. Also, anyone who is realistic and honest about the blow this is to our team.

The reality is this obviously is a big loss and our Super Bowl odds are of course down from before this news.

But it's also reality this team went 3-1 without Brady and Gronk also being out or extremely limited.

So yeah, this isn't a good day but no, I'm not focusing on the off-season yet either.

they scored 18 points in Denver WITH Gronkowski in the playoffs....what makes people think they could go on the road WITHOUT Gronkowski and score the 30 points that this defense needs to win games vs GOOD teams?

I am so sick of this team and the ****ing injuries. Every ****ing year they lose half their offensive line, or their best receiver, or their game changing third down back, or their once in a life time tight end...Can they just be healthy with all their weapons? Oh wait, they were 2014 and won the ****ing super bowl...injuries are the #1 thing that's kept this team from being the best team of all time, in any American sport....:mad::mad::mad:

Any gamblers in here know the before and after on the Super Bowl odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents