PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian: Tom Brady suffers setback; Infection leads to two more procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps John Wallach on WEEI sportsflash is nuts, but he just said Brady had reconstructive ACL surgery on Oct. 6. Since then he has had 3 ADDITIONAL surgeries because of persistent infection to the patellar tendon. If the infection persists, the ACL surgery might have to be performed again, delaying the 2007 MVP's return even further:(:(

Anyone hear this? Does that mean Brady had 4 operations already?

No, it means Brady's had four procedures. We don't know what they've done in the ones after the first.

Alright guys, here's Tom's surgeon's qualifications. He's clearly qualified, but he aint no Ivy leaguer for any wondering. I'm sure this doc is good, but I question whether he's the BEST

Neal S Eltracche, MD

# College University of Notre Dame

# Medical School University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Internship
# General Surgery, Hospitals of the University Health Center of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Residency
# Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Fellowship
# Fellowship, Sports Medicine, Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic
Inglewood, California

Honors and Awards
# Cum Laude
# Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society
# Dr. R.J. Behan Prize, Outstanding Performance in Surgery
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
# American Orthopedic Association

Faculty Appointments
# Director Sports Medicine Fellowship, Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic
# Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California

Professional Organizations
# American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
# American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
# NFL Physicians Society
# National Orthopaedic Education Society
# Notre Dame Orthopaedic Society
# Herdicus Sports Medicine Honor Society
# American Orthopedic Association
# AOSSM

Team Physician (formerly)
# Los Angeles Rams Football Team

Orthopaedic Consultant
# Anaheim Mighty Ducks Hockey Team
# St. Louis Rams Football Team
# PGA Tour
# Los Angeles Dodgers Baseball Team
# Los Angeles Lakers Basketball Team
# Los Angeles Kings Hockey Team
# Arthrex Corporation

Board Certification
# American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

Publications
Dr. ElAttrache has authored 14 textbooks and 25 journal publications, filmed 10 orthopedic instructional videos, and has been a facilitator for over 150 lectures.

Last edited:
He's gonna come back in Week 1 and his leg will fall off.

Isn't this the same thing that happened to LeCharles Bentley? If so, uh oh.

william andrews would of been the safe choice, has anybody ever heard of this guy other than reading him in the globe???it looks like the patriots thought it was bad judgement to

Not every player goes to James Andrews. In fact, I bet a majority of them don't. Other than Dr. Andrews how many nationally renowed sports orthopedic surgereons do you know?

Not every player goes to James Andrews. In fact, I bet a majority of them don't. Other than Dr. Andrews how many nationally renowed sports orthopedic surgereons do you know?

Uribe down in Miami

not many but andrews has the best reputation, i guess the patriots didnt like the choice either so im not alone

Patriots Mad at Brady for insisting on West Coast surgery site

Brady has more procedures for infection; Pats upset with situation
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 23, 2008, 10:57 AM ET

Doctors are aggressively fighting an infection in Tom Brady's surgically repaired left knee.
Brady recently acknowledged on his Web site that doctors went in "to clean and to test the wound" on Oct. 15 because of the infection. The New England Patriots quarterback has had two more similar procedures since then.

The story was first reported by the Boston Herald and confirmed by ESPN's Wendi Nix.

The Patriots, as an organization, are upset with the situation because they were clear that they wanted Brady's surgery done under the direction of doctors of their choosing in Boston, sources told ESPN.

Instead, Brady opted to have the surgery in California by a doctor his family preferred, and now there are major problems. Brady was supposed to be back in New England by now, but a timeline for his return....

If the infection is not brought under control, the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady's anterior cruciate ligament could become compromised, according to the Herald's report. If that happens, he will have to undergo another surgery on the ACL. That would reset the clock on his rehabilitation.

Information from ESPN reporter Wendi Nix and The Associated Press was used in this report.

I saw this story on ESPN, and the haters are out in FULL FORCE.. There are a lot of idiots with keyboards out there.. I stopped posting in their forums long ago.. 90% morons who post death wishes on anyone affiliated with the Pats, and 10% fans who try to argue with them.. It's amateur night at the ESPN message boards..:rolleyes:

Re: Patriots Mad at Brady for insisting on West Coast surgery site

Brady has more procedures for infection; Pats upset with situation
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 23, 2008, 10:57 AM ET

Doctors are aggressively fighting an infection in Tom Brady's surgically repaired left knee.
Brady recently acknowledged on his Web site that doctors went in "to clean and to test the wound" on Oct. 15 because of the infection. The New England Patriots quarterback has had two more similar procedures since then.

The story was first reported by the Boston Herald and confirmed by ESPN's Wendi Nix.

The Patriots, as an organization, are upset with the situation because they were clear that they wanted Brady's surgery done under the direction of doctors of their choosing in Boston, sources told ESPN.

Instead, Brady opted to have the surgery in California by a doctor his family preferred, and now there are major problems. Brady was supposed to be back in New England by now, but a timeline for his return....

If the infection is not brought under control, the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady's anterior cruciate ligament could become compromised, according to the Herald's report. If that happens, he will have to undergo another surgery on the ACL. That would reset the clock on his rehabilitation.

Information from ESPN reporter Wendi Nix and The Associated Press was used in this report.
i always find it funny that ESPN has to always confirm someone else. Patriots are unhappy...yeah...they told her that.

not many but andrews has the best reputation, i guess the patriots didnt like the choice either so im not alone

The Pats didn't want Brady to go to James Andrews either. They wanted him to stay in Boston. Their problem wasn't that they didn't like Brady's surgeon rather than they wanted it done in Massachusetts with a surgeon they have a relationship with.

The Herald is also reporting that Tom has been shopping for engagement rings at Cartier. So I don't get it. Is he having proceedures on his knee or is he shopping? Yesterday they said he was at Tavern on the Green in NY planning the wedding menu. So is he in LA or NY?

Let's face the Herald has NO IDEA!!

So we know two out of the thousands of Sports Orthopedic surgeons in the country.

Well, there are others that are at the top of the Orthopedic food chain, but those are two very well known physicians. I remember when I had my injury, almost 20 years ago, and I went to one of the very best Orthopedic doctors in the country for a consult. I forget his name because it was just a consult, but he was based in Boston. Unfortunately for me, there was just nothing they could really do at the time, but Brady doesn't have that problem.

Brady's got access to pretty much every doctor, and to the very best care, in the country, so people need to just relax. Panicking before there's a need to panic is a waste of mental energy.

Well, there are others that are at the top of the Orthopedic food chain, but those are two very well known physicians. I remember when I had my injury, almost 20 years ago, and I went to one of the very best Orthopedic doctors in the country for a consult. I forget his name because it was just a consult, but he was based in Boston. Unfortunately for me, there was just nothing they could really do at the time, but Brady doesn't have that problem.

Brady's got access to pretty much every doctor, and to the very best care, in the country, so people need to just relax. Panicking before there's a need to panic is a waste of mental energy.

My point was that unless you are in the field, you don't know who the best surgeons in the country are. Just because we have never heard of brady's doctor doesn't mean that he isn't the Tom Brady of ACL reconstructions. I couldn't tell you who the best neurosurgeon in the country is and I certainly wouldn't turn down a brain surgeon based soley on me never hearing of him before if I had a brain tumor.

I do agree that people need to relax. Because Brady is a professional athlete, the doctor could be going overboard for a minor infection to make sure there are no setbacks. It could be something serious and a doomsday scenario, but we don't have that information and I don't think Karen Gueregian or Wendy Nix does either.

yes agreed bad judgement to go to the west coast, have surgery by a no name doctor when the best hospitals, staffs, and doctors are within walking distance from his home, i guess he can throw a good spiral but the common sense is lacking a tad

he's a "no name" doctor because you never heard of him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
sometimes its just bad luck whoever the doc is. i dont know anything about this , just lets hope it will all get resolved nicely and he will make a full recovery.

The medical expert, Will Carroll, that is on WEEI right now is stating that this story is probably overstated. He saying these additional procedures could be nothing more than injecting a needle into the knee to flush out the ACL. He thinks that it isn't as big of a deal as it is being reporting. He thinks there is a chance of the doomsday scenario that he will have to have the surgery redone, but even then he could be ready for the start of the regular season next year.

He also says that Brady's doctor is one of "top 5 guys in the world", was the Rams' team doctor when they were in LA, and the guy he always turn to when he needs advice on knee injuries.

Last edited:
The medical expert that is on WEEI right now is stating that this story is probably overstated. He saying these additional procedures could be nothing more than injecting a needle into the knee to flush out the ACL. He thinks that it isn't as big of a deal as it is being reporting. He thinks there is a chance of the doomsday scenario that he will have to have the surgery redone, but even then he could be ready for the start of the regular season next year.

He also says that Brady's doctor is one of "top 5 guys in the world", was the Rams' team doctor when they were in LA, and the guy he always turn to when he needs advice on knee injuries.

Good. Good.

News Flash: The Herald is now reporting that the surgeon is in NY helping Tom pick out a ring.

Good. Good.

News Flash: The Herald is now reporting that the surgeon is in NY helping Tom pick out a ring.

:agree:

Good thing I wasn't drinking something when I read that. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes