PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian: Tom Brady suffers setback; Infection leads to two more procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guregian: Brady has two more sugeries; patellar tendon graft could fail

Is the panic button anything like the "Staples" button?
If so, we are seriously in trouble, because that thing looks like those stupid battery operated lights that last about 5 clicks....
Only in red.

Look, here is how I look at it.

They have the best doctors in the world looking after our #12's knee. If it can be fixed it will. We all know Tom's work ethic, if it can be done, he can do it. We all know Tom's mental strength, the strength required to smartly push the effort.

So everybody calm the frig down, support Matt and the team going forward.

Short term goals?...we have a division to win here.

Brady is Fine.

I hate articles like this. The fact of the matter it could be anything from nothing more than extra precautions to make sure the infection is gone to they have to redo the surgery. The doctor seems to think it isn't that big deal of a deal, but could be major. But like most reports these days, they throw out the worst case, Armegeddon scenario no matter how remote the possibilities are.

While Brady acknowledged on his Web site that he had one arthroscopic procedure done to “clean and to test the wound” last Wednesday, the Herald has learned there have been two additional procedures performed since that time, with the same goal in mind.

According to the source, the fear is the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady’s anterior cruciate ligament is in danger of becoming compromised. Should that occur, the entire ACL reconstruction would have to be removed and redone from scratch.

Dr. Arun Ramappa, chief of sports medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, told the Herald last week infections after knee surgery are rare. When apprised of the three procedures on Brady, Ramappa, who does not have direct knowledge of the quarterback’s injury, provided a broad assessment.

You have to learn to decipher bad/fluff journalism. This is not disimilar to how tabloids turn nuggets and rumours into headlines.

They could guess right that things go badly, as the Herald likes to do. It would have been just as easy to find an expert that would allay the fan concerns. A positive spin simply won't sell papers.

Last edited:

On weei they are saying the Patriots are not happy with Bradys choice of doctors. Why did they allow him to do it?

They have the best doctors in the world looking after our #12's knee. If it can be fixed it will. We all know Tom's work ethic, if it can be done, he can do it. We all know Tom's mental strength, the strength required to smartly push the effort.

I gotta agree here. Maybe, this happens with a lot of these ACL surgeries and stories like this only get reported in the players city. Or since it's Brady, any bit off news will be printed. If there worried about infection, then there doing the right thing.

I'm worried about it IF TRUE, If there is any problem get it sorted now is the best approach. I wonder if the Herald has a tape of the operation?

On another note Meterparel is almost giddy about Brady missing next season, what a DB.

Last edited:

I didn't finish the article. Anytime I read "THE HERALD HAS LEARNED" in an article, it's my cue to stop reading. It should be yours too.

Heal well Tom, see you in a few months.

BTW--here's what Brady had to say late last season:

"As soon as Matt gets the opportunity, he's going to show everybody what he can do," Brady said.

"It's hard being a backup in our system because I never let anyone take any reps. I don't like seeing anyone do my job."

Somehow, I don't see this as an exception.

Knee surgery + infection = bad news.

My mom has bad knees (arthritis) and she has had 2 knee replacements on each side. They have been SUPER cautious in the hospital (New England Baptist) each time that she do everything to prevent infection as it can lead to major complications with knee surgery. Even now, years later, she has to take antibiotics when she goes to the dentist to ensure that she doesn't get an infection in her system that could travel to her knees.

While I agree that the Herald (and journalists in general) can overreact on stuff like this and we don't have all the facts, if Brady has had three procedures to stem an infection he is in trouble. Luckily he's young and strong and presumably will be able to get over it, but hospital-bourne infections can do a number on you and be tough to get rid of.

I for one am saying a prayer for him. And no, I am not a panic-button-pusher.

Tom Brady suffers setback - BostonHerald.com

Anyone read the article in the Herald about Brady having a two more precedures done on his knee? This sucks. It makes it worse because we really do not know how he is doing. You have to wonder when or if he will play again. How does this happen.

Consider the source.Remember You're quoting The Boston Herald not exactly a beacon of truth.

If it is not true then the Patriots need to say something. I am afraid it is and they will say nothing. Is the doctor at fault? Whose paying Bradys salary if this is career ending ? Does insurance get involved. The guys on weei are saying the Patriots did not want Brady to go to this doctor. Then why did they let him. He seems to have an excellent background.Not like Brady went to Mexico and had the surgery.

You have to learn to decipher bad/fluff journalism. This is not disimilar to how tabloids turn nuggets and rumours into headlines.

They could guess right that things go badly, as the Herald likes to do. It would have been just as easy to find an expert that would allay the fan concerns. A positive spin simply won't sell papers.

Yeah, what does "in danger of becoming compromised" mean? Could it mean that if the unlikely chance the infection doesn't get under control that the tendon will need to be replaced or it doesn't look good and it seems likely the tendon will need to be replaced. It is a very vague and possible sounding far more ominous than it really is. But then again, that is the way the news is reported these days. Sensationalize, Sensationalize, Sensationalize.

This is sc ary hopefully it is nothing. My concern with this is so much what will happen if the infection doesn't go away because I am not a DR and I don't know how common some of the things going on are as far as precationary measures. What has me concerned is that it is now 7 weeks after the injury and he seems to be no further along in his recovery. for something that takes a good year to recover from a 7 weeks could be a significant set back as far as week one next year. Hopefully not as there is still alot of time but the more he fights the infection the more the time table gets skewed.

Anyone know if my fears may be pointless? It just occurred to me that the surgically repaired parts could be healing and getting stronger coinciding with fighting the infection and thus the infection may not effect the timetable.

Anyhow this has to freak you out as a Pats fan. I mean if Tommy isnt back next year than we have to go thru this all over again and potentially without California Kid Matt Cassel.

This is sc ary hopefully it is nothing. My concern with this is so much what will happen if the infection doesn't go away because I am not a DR and I don't know how common some of the things going on are as far as precationary measures. What has me concerned is that it is now 7 weeks after the injury and he seems to be no further along in his recovery. for something that takes a good year to recover from a 7 weeks could be a significant set back as far as week one next year. Hopefully not as there is still alot of time but the more he fights the infection the more the time table gets skewed.

Remember, it typically takes 4-6 weeks for the swelling to resolve to the point where recovery can begin at all. So that, at least, is not really cause for concern.

Last edited:
Anybody read the article on ProfootballTalk.com. They suggest if things continue to worsten, he may have to wait 4-12 months and have a new ACL inserted. Ungoddamnbelievable

This sucks. I am usually a logic rational person. For some reason when Brady is involved I overreact. He is my favorite player I could not watch football the same without him. Now there is talk the Patriots are pissed because he had his surgery in Ca. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly between the patriots and Brady.

This is usually the hospital's fault and it is inexcusable.

There has been an enormous emphasis on preventing infections after surgery and overwhelmingly the culprit has been failure to follow simple, but effective, safety procedures on the part of hospital personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back