PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian: Tom Brady suffers setback; Infection leads to two more procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holley was saying Wendi Nix clarified her statements and said the Patriots were supportive of Brady even though he didn't use the doctors they suggested. Also that the Patriots medical team is getting involved and that they are working together. So it isn't like the Patriots are mad.

You mean that ESPN may have sensationalized their story to make it look more damaging against Brady and the Pats? No way! ESPN has the utmost integrity.

not everyone has issues with ESPN, but it does seem like most people on here do

And for good damn reason. The Boston Herald published a false story before the Superbowl early this year. ESPN then ran with the Herald's false story non-stop.

The medical expert, Will Carroll, that is on WEEI right now is stating that this story is probably overstated. He saying these additional procedures could be nothing more than injecting a needle into the knee to flush out the ACL. He thinks that it isn't as big of a deal as it is being reporting. He thinks there is a chance of the doomsday scenario that he will have to have the surgery redone, but even then he could be ready for the start of the regular season next year.

He also says that Brady's doctor is one of "top 5 guys in the world", was the Rams' team doctor when they were in LA, and the guy he always turn to when he needs advice on knee injuries.
Interestingly, Carroll also said on WEEI that Dr. James Andrews once told him (Carroll) that whenever he (Andrews) has a knee question, he also calls the doctor who performed Brady's procedure. That's good enough for me. I believe you can listen to the interview on the WEEI website.

This is unnecessary stress...I'm going to avoid reading all these doomsday scenarios for now.

Well, there are others that are at the top of the Orthopedic food chain, but those are two very well known physicians. I remember when I had my injury, almost 20 years ago, and I went to one of the very best Orthopedic doctors in the country for a consult. I forget his name because it was just a consult, but he was based in Boston. Unfortunately for me, there was just nothing they could really do at the time, but Brady doesn't have that problem.

Brady's got access to pretty much every doctor, and to the very best care, in the country, so people need to just relax. Panicking before there's a need to panic is a waste of mental energy.

This is pretty much it.

I'm a little disappointed in how often I'm checking this thread to see if there's an update though. It's hard not to panic when you hear "Brady" and "career ending" in the same sentence, even if it is purely unfounded.

Anyone read the article in the Herald
The Herald sucks. Stop posting links to the Herald. If you have to read that rag and talk about it, summarize what they said in your own words. Thanks.

I agree. Wait until March or April before getting bent out of shape. There is no reason to be concerned at this point.
Well...I would agree in the perspective of that...NOT to get TOO concerned....but still keep an eye on it..especially since there is some infection...monitor it..just to be sure..but worry?? I think it's overblown and the downa*** ESPN and Herald are just doing what they do best..fear mongering..and trying to find ways to down the Patriots and to try and cause rifts that are not there.. THAT to me is what is so damning.. It's DONE WITH an agenda...and Florio spotted that..and called ESPN out on that.

Someone who had the same procedure as Brady did for the same football-related injury (at the NCAA level) by the same doctor told me unequivocally that Brady would be ready by camp next year. Of course, the news about the infection hadn't come out yet by then, but because of the amount of time to recover, I don't foresee it being a problem.

Just going to throw some stuff out there given the news of a third/fourth surgery....

- Brady not being able to play next year or at least questionable for his career....

- Cassel is a FA and would probably get an offer from the Pats to stay...

- B/c why regress for the second straight season with O'Connell or Gutz?

- Drafting a QB doesn't make any sense at this point, even if Brady can't go next year or ever.

- Think the Pats will need a veteran QB at the start of camp... whether he makes it til the season is not a guarantee

- AT what point do we rip this thing apart and start fresh?

Papa Brady usually makes an appearance about now. The fact

that he has not had any comments on the situation makes me

believe that he was instrumental in Tom having the surgery

on the West Coast.

Someone who had the same procedure as Brady did for the same football-related injury (at the NCAA level) by the same doctor told me unequivocally that Brady would be ready by camp next year. Of course, the news about the infection hadn't come out yet by then, but because of the amount of time to recover, I don't foresee it being a problem.

Well, look at it this way. Say he has to have the surgery redone again in January, he would still have the same timetable as Philip Rivers had this year. Rivers didn't have his surgery until late January and was in camp on time. Say after six weeks, they decide to redo the surgery, Brady would still be 4-6 weeks ahead of Rivers in terms of timetable.

Well, look at it this way. Say he has to have the surgery redone again in January, he would still have the same timetable as Philip Rivers had this year. Rivers didn't have his surgery until late January and was in camp on time. Say after six weeks, they decide to redo the surgery, Brady would still be 4-6 weeks ahead of Rivers in terms of timetable.

Exactly. The worst case scenario still has him playing in 09.

rivers had only a partially torn acl, which explains why he played in the AFC championship game. TB had a fully torn ACL and MCL.

There is a possibility that the infection will linger for longer than that. In which case, the surgery would be delayed further. Lets hope the infection isnt serious and that the antibiotics work

rivers had only a partially torn acl, which explains why he played in the AFC championship game. TB had a fully torn ACL and MCL.

Didn't Rivers simply have his ACL removed and then dealt with in the offseason?

I'm reading that and it sounds silly, but I'm positive I've heard that a few times.

I think a lot of what they have been doing has been to make sure the infection is stopped. The procedures to drain and clean are needed to be SURE the infection is stopped. The earlier that it's done...the better and it does seem like that was what happened. He's in good hands..let it play out as was said before even WORSE case..they have to do it over..it's STILL enough time for the surgery AGAIN and rehab.

Last time I checked the start of next season is 11 months away. I would say unless it's learned that his knee is unrepairable between now and then, it's a bit early for all the panic from everyone that I'm reading in this thread.

CheerforTom is right. Rivers played the the AFC Championship game without an ACL all together. There is no difference between a partially torn or completely torn ACL when it comes to the surgery. Both require the same reconstruction surgery. A partially torn ACL cannot be repaired.

Also, Brady had a partially torn MCL that was healed before they replaced his ACL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down