PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk - really bugging me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no problem with Gronk taking his time and having his doctors clear him to play.
Patriots lost their credibility after their own doctors cleared him to play and Gronk didn't last
a half before snapping his forearm for a second time.
Team doctors are not player advocates. They work for the organization.
Gronk should play when he feels ready for the physical punishment.

BTW the presence of James Andrews confirms earlier reports that the issue has been Gronk's forearm not his back.

Gronk was cleared because the chances of re-breaking his forearm in the same spot were minimal.

Guess what, he didn't rebreak the forearm. The new break happened near the plate and screws. It wouldn't matter if he rehabbed for 2 hours and 1,000 years. That new break would have occurred regardless.

Knowing Gronks original injury happened while playing on ST's will he still play on it now or is it a thing of the past for him?

Knowing Gronks original injury happened while playing on ST's will he still play on it now or is it a thing of the past for him?
Good question. They've done fine on those XP so far, so why throw him out there?

It's frustrating me too.

Not sure with whom to be frustrated.

If his arm is legitimately still screwed up, then I fear for his career. Wish he hadn't been so cavalier wrestling with it though. Not sure if that had any effect.

I saw Gronk early today. He was in uniform standing in a corner at the local Dunkin' Donuts, smiling and holding up a sandwich. He stood real still.

Good question. They've done fine on those XP so far, so why throw him out there?

Not saying we should ever throw him out there on STs again but the logic for doing so is real simple we are fine on the extra points right now but whose roster spot does he take when he returns and if it is the guy who has been doing that role on the EP so far then he would be the obvious candidate.

I doubt this will be the case though as we only have 2 TEs so he will probably be taking a roster spot from somewhere else.

My problem isn't Gronk doing what he thinks is best for his career and his health. If he wasn't ready to this week, then he shouldn't have played.

My problem is that Team Gronk seem to have arbitrarily chosen this week to return and nothing was going to change that no matter how well he played or felt. It seemed from day one (based on PFT's reports who have inside information) that Gronk was not coming back until this week even if he felt he was 1000%. If that is the case, I feel Gronk wasn't being a true team player. It is one thing to wait until you feel you are healed enough to come back, it is another to set an arbitrary date where you feel you will be healed enough to come back and ignore everything else (such as Gronk feeling healthy or strong enough to play) in a decision to come back quicker.

It seems pretty clear that Dr. Andrews was not going to clear him until this week no matter if he would typically clear another player in the same situation weeks ago. How can it be reported that Dr. Andrews is going to clear him to play before he even examines him?
Cmon Rob What part of my previous post didn't you understand, I ask again. How long do you think it takes to regain enough of the muscle mass lost over 5 months of inactivity to be able to at least partially function in the uber competitive environment of the NFL.

I doubt very much he did any serious strength training in the weeks leading up to his back procedure, and I doubt he did anything more than basic rehab work afterword, until September. He was also very limited in what he could do in March, April, and May, due the numerous arm procedures he underwent.

The Bottom Line is that there is NOTHING arbitrary concerning him coming back at this time (if he comes back this week) The fact it That it would take at LEAST 6 weeks of intensive strenghh training to gain back even 80% of where he would normally be had he worked out regularly over the off season. And it will probably take the rest of the regular season of doing extra strength work to get past the 90% number

IIRC you know something about weight training. You should know the time it takes to REALLY get into the kind of shape that everyone else in the league has been doing since March. Just because he's been able to move with total comfort for the last 6 weeks. Just because he's been able to run around the field and participate fully in what passes for full practices in the NFL these days. Doesn't mean he's been ready to actually play in full contact games.

Even if he proves to be ready this week (and I REALLY hope he is), he is in no way going be a "full strength" compared to everyone else in the league who has been at it full bore, since March.

Bottom Line: There is no story here, Just a natural progression of what needs to be done so he can reach a MINIMUM level of functional strength to be ready to play and have a reasonable hope of surviving.

Cmon Rob What part of my previous post didn't you understand, I ask again. How long do you think it takes to regain enough of the muscle mass lost over 5 months of inactivity to be able to at least partially function in the uber competitive environment of the NFL.

I doubt very much he did any serious strength training in the weeks leading up to his back procedure, and I doubt he did anything more than basic rehab work afterword, until September. He was also very limited in what he could do in March, April, and May, due the numerous arm procedures he underwent.

The Bottom Line is that there is NOTHING arbitrary concerning him coming back at this time (if he comes back this week) The fact it That it would take at LEAST 6 weeks of intensive strenghh training to gain back even 80% of where he would normally be had he worked out regularly over the off season. And it will probably take the rest of the regular season of doing extra strength work to get past the 90% number

IIRC you know something about weight training. You should know the time it takes to REALLY get into the kind of shape that everyone else in the league has been doing since March. Just because he's been able to move with total comfort for the last 6 weeks. Just because he's been able to run around the field and participate fully in what passes for full practices in the NFL these days. Doesn't mean he's been ready to actually play in full contact games.

Even if he proves to be ready this week (and I REALLY hope he is), he is in no way going be a "full strength" compared to everyone else in the league who has been at it full bore, since March.

Bottom Line: There is no story here, Just a natural progression of what needs to be done so he can reach a MINIMUM level of functional strength to be ready to play and have a reasonable hope of surviving.

That's my biggest concern about him at this point -- his ability to absorb punishment. He's definitely thinner.

Its bugging because media has made this a bigger story than it is . Guy is hurt. has had 5 surgeries. Hasnt played football in almost an yr if you take out the the couple of snaps he played in the playoffs. So its not surprising he is still recovering. Everyone has an opinion about recovery time and how he should be feeling but each person is different. No one knows except he himself. Media speculations with 'sources' has made this to be an unnecessary distraction when there really isnt a story. I wonder what they will talk about when he comes back.

My problem isn't Gronk doing what he thinks is best for his career and his health. If he wasn't ready to this week, then he shouldn't have played.

My problem is that Team Gronk seem to have arbitrarily chosen this week to return and nothing was going to change that no matter how well he played or felt. It seemed from day one (based on PFT's reports who have inside information) that Gronk was not coming back until this week even if he felt he was 1000%. If that is the case, I feel Gronk wasn't being a true team player. It is one thing to wait until you feel you are healed enough to come back, it is another to set an arbitrary date where you feel you will be healed enough to come back and ignore everything else (such as Gronk feeling healthy or strong enough to play) in a decision to come back quicker.

It seems pretty clear that Dr. Andrews was not going to clear him until this week no matter if he would typically clear another player in the same situation weeks ago. How can it be reported that Dr. Andrews is going to clear him to play before he even examines him?
You really think PFT has inside sources who know better ? I wouldnt believe everything which is written there. Everyone is speaking from both sides of their mouth behind 'sources close to the patriots'.

sazxm5Z.gif

So you can put me in the category of this thing was bugging the hell out of me. But if Gronk comes back this week or even the following one I will and have already admitted to being wrong. But I still hold fear for anything that might happen in the future to him and how he might handle it.

I understand Gronk has to do what is best for him and I understand the Patriots need to do what is best for them. Which is why I admit I was wrong.

But what I really dont get is why most fans are giving Gronk a pass and blaming the team for if true rushing him back? This is not the first player to come back from major surgery and infection issues. Tom Brady went through it and was back for week one albeit he didnt have 5 surgeries. I don't understand the logic of fans that think sitting him out makes him more ready for the postseason. Players should be playing and if they are not they are of little use to me as a fan and to me its that simple. I understand we all want him playing for years to come but some of his value is lost if he sits down every time he stubs a toe.

Gronk signed a contract to play and he got a lot of money and again he needs to worry about his own long term health for obvious reasons but IMO that is somewhat him trying to protect himself for his next contract and that kind of irkes me. If this is only a reaction to what he just went thru then I am fine but my fear comes in that if he has truly lost trust in the team and the doctors then what happens if he sprains an ankle? is he going to sit out 6 weeks or is going to play through it?

Bottom line is it is a long season and a tough sport with limited roster space and the team can not afford to have players that are not trying to do everything within their power to be on the field. What is there like 17 players on the injury report? how would the team look if they all waited? So if this is a one time reaction to a very tough offseason than I am fine with that but I fear that Gronk may shut down on any injury and set a bad precedent in the locker room. The Patriots paid him to play for a 7 year contract not play for his next contract and I fear Gronk thinks he needs to protect himself for future earnings more so than live up to his current contract.

Here is hoping my fear is for not and that it only has to do with a tough offseason and has nothing to do with lost trust between the Pats and him and has nothing to do with saving his body for 7 years from now.

How do you know he is not doing everything to be out there and play ? Why do you think he is just holding out before being ready.? Maybe he is but maybe he isnt . All we know is he is practicing. Hasnt had any football in almost an yr except for those 2snaps vs houston. Lost alot body strength Iam assuming and has had a history of back issues. You guys need to stop reading into every media source out there. If we were clicking on offense we wouldnt say all this but now since we are not , we want the guy to play half ready and set a good example for the team ? I dont get it.

I don't know why people don't get why its taken Gronk so long to be ready, even though he's been "cl,eared" to play for 6 weeks. Its simple. After 4 surgeries and being unable to condition himself, he's had to condense 6 months of off season conditioning into 6 weeks. The lack of muscle mass he suffered due to his inactivity was obvious to anyone who saw him roaming the sidelines during TC. It takes longer than a few weeks regain that back.

The reason he wasn't PUP;d was that, while he regained football strength, he would be practicing with the team and be that much further along in his preparation. After the 6 weeks he's had since the first week of the regular season, is about the same time as TC.

This is yet another example of the mediots in this town attempting to create a story when there really isn't one. The real story isn't " why has it taken so long for Gronk to be back and all the speculation" but rather ", it isn't it amazing its only taken Gronk 6 weeks to regain the muscle mass that usually takes 6 months to attain"

Cant have said it better.

Get the feeling he won't be playing this week.

Get the feeling he won't be playing this week.

I wont believe he's playing until I get the inactives. Breer predicted on the radio earlier that he'll be put on IR at some point, not sure if that's just trolling Pats fans because he's an ass or he really has some good knowledge on the situation.

I saw Gronk early today. He was in uniform standing in a corner at the local Dunkin' Donuts, smiling and holding up a sandwich. He stood real still.

This seems like a good time to post a Gronk/Donut Donuts/Hot Girls pic:

rob%2Bgronkowski%2Bdunkin%2Bdonuts.jpg

That's my biggest concern about him at this point -- his ability to absorb punishment. He's definitely thinner.

^This. It does look like he's put on some bulk recently, but consider this pic below was taken just 3 months ago. Compare to the image above. (Ignore the girls.) This ain't Rocky 3 - it takes time.

rob-gronkowski.jpg

How do you know he is not doing everything to be out there and play ? Why do you think he is just holding out before being ready.? Maybe he is but maybe he isnt . All we know is he is practicing. Hasnt had any football in almost an yr except for those 2snaps vs houston. Lost alot body strength Iam assuming and has had a history of back issues. You guys need to stop reading into every media source out there. If we were clicking on offense we wouldnt say all this but now since we are not , we want the guy to play half ready and set a good example for the team ? I dont get it.

You are right I dont know that and cant know that based on the info I am provided. But what I do know is that you cant be day to day for 6 seeks straight unless you tell me that there was some sort of set back.

But also keep in mind that I have admitted to being wrong in being upset he has not returned and instead stated my fear is for how acts with his next injury.

I don't get it either.
He's ready when he's ready.
Fans are extrapolating from notoriously unreliable media rumors and getting themselves worked up.
I/we have no reliable data beyond he's on the 53 and BB "He's doing well/better", therefore any and all expectations are baseless, like building a house on sand.
He's ready when he's ready.

Admittedly I am in aweful shape and my knowledge in the area comes from having watched sports but I have a hard time believing he would/should have taken 5 months off.

I would imagine trainors can come up with unique ways to work out in a cast.

I would imagine prior to back surgery he was probably instructed to build up the strength in the area as best as he could.

It was also weeks after the surgery when he himself said his back felt better than in years and while he was still rehabbing I would guess he started ramping up his workouts from that point.

Again I am way out of my league in this convo but I find it really hard to believe he would or should have taken 5 months off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST