PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk - really bugging me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly..my knowledge in the area comes from having watched sports..I would imagine..I would imagine..I would guess..I am way out of my league..I find it really hard to believe..

You created a scenario in your own head based on no actual knowledge. How can you criticize someone for not meeting the expectations of your imagination? This isn't Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

You created a scenario in your own head based on no actual knowledge. How can you criticize someone for not meeting the expectations of your imagination? This isn't Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

I have done no such thing. When he had the back surgery we were told that he could not have this surgery until the infection in his arm cleared and we were told that similar players who have had the back procedure were out about 10 weeks.

A few weeks after the surgery Gronk proclaimed his back felt better than in a while.

When Gronk came off the pup list we told he was day to day by both Gronk and BB.

These are facts not my imagination.

My frustration comes from the fact that he is 4 weeks past a projected return and the above is the only factual info that I have to go on.

Also I have admitted I should not be frustrated with him for being cautious after such difficult offseason and have instead switched to being concerned that this will cause him to be extra cautious with all injuries moving forward.

Forgive me for thinking that a football player should you know actually play the games.

Admittedly I am in aweful shape and my knowledge in the area comes from having watched sports but I have a hard time believing he would/should have taken 5 months off.

I would imagine trainors can come up with unique ways to work out in a cast.

I would imagine prior to back surgery he was probably instructed to build up the strength in the area as best as he could.

It was also weeks after the surgery when he himself said his back felt better than in years and while he was still rehabbing I would guess he started ramping up his workouts from that point.

Again I am way out of my league in this convo but I find it really hard to believe he would or should have taken 5 months off.

"Feeling better" than he has in years was probably referring to not having the pain in his back he had probably been feeling since the first surgery in college. Just because you aren't in pain doesn't even make it remotely safe to begin NFL-caliber workouts after back surgery.

You need to rehab for lengthy periods of time. Rehabbing is NOT strength training. Rehab is learning how to use the muscles you've been resting for months. It's getting healthy.

You need to be fully recovered from any effects of the operation before you can safely begin strength training, especially in an area as sensitive as the back. It's one of the easiest muscles to damage and one of the hardest to build strength in. It's not like bench pressing or curling.

Edit: Projections are also based off of an average amount of time it takes someone to PHYSICALLY recover. If Gronk has any lingering doubts MENTALLY he needs to work those issues out. He's been through more in this past off season than most people will do in their lives. It takes a special person to just forget about all of that.

Most likely he is getting himself into better shape than he was in last season in hopes to avoid anything happening, or at least to help himself FEEL like he's avoiding anything bad from happening. He's going to take every step he feels he needs to be good to go.

Recovering from any injury is only 50% physical.

"Feeling better" than he has in years was probably referring to not having the pain in his back he had probably been feeling since the first surgery in college. Just because you aren't in pain doesn't even make it remotely safe to begin NFL-caliber workouts after back surgery.

You need to rehab for lengthy periods of time. Rehabbing is NOT strength training. Rehab is learning how to use the muscles you've been resting for months. It's getting healthy.

You need to be fully recovered from any effects of the operation before you can safely begin strength training, especially in an area as sensitive as the back. It's one of the easiest muscles to damage and one of the hardest to build strength in. It's not like bench pressing or curling.

Edit: Projections are also based off of an average amount of time it takes someone to PHYSICALLY recover. If Gronk has any lingering doubts MENTALLY he needs to work those issues out. He's been through more in this past off season than most people will do in their lives. It takes a special person to just forget about all of that.

Most likely he is getting himself into better shape than he was in last season in hopes to avoid anything happening, or at least to help himself FEEL like he's avoiding anything bad from happening. He's going to take every step he feels he needs to be good to go.

Recovering from any injury is only 50% physical.

Thanks for this as it all seems like a fair assesment. And I cant say it enough I agree with the fact that Gronk has to do what is best for his return to the field but doesnt mean especially given how tight lipped this team is that I have to sit here and like it. As with any injury to any player it is extremely frustrating to watch your stars in the tub and I am extremely shocked at how many people think that watching Gronk in the tub is fine and in some way better for the team because this means he will be more likely to be here in the playoffs.

My problem is I shouldnt be taking out my frustration on Gronk but he is the one needs to hurry up and get healthy and in shape already we need him damn it and its hard for me to grasp that even though it might be more risky or that he would not be %100 he possibly could have been out there sooner. So like I said he needs to do what is best for him but I dont have to like it or shrug it off. Well at least until he is actually on the field then I will completely shrug it off and hope that next time all of this does not impact his thinking then.

I think my points are being lost a little in my crappy writing.

Lets just say this I like the Gronk that was willing to go out on a gimpy ankle and help the team try and win a SB. I like the Gronk that was willing to give it go a few weeks after breaking his wrist and see what he could do to help the team in the playoffs. And while it might be the right thing for him to do I dont neccesarily like the Gronk that appears not to be doing that right now but I can fully get behind it so long as when push comes to shove next time he starts acting like the Gronk of old and plays through it where possible. I understand the extenuating circumstance this time around but I still like the old Gronk better.

I think my points are being lost a little in my crappy writing.

Lets just say this I like the Gronk that was willing to go out on a gimpy ankle and help the team try and win a SB. I like the Gronk that was willing to give it go a few weeks after breaking his wrist and see what he could do to help the team in the playoffs. And while it might be the right thing for him to do I dont neccesarily like the Gronk that appears not to be doing that right now but I can fully get behind it so long as when push comes to shove next time he starts acting like the Gronk of old and plays through it where possible. I understand the extenuating circumstance this time around but I still like the old Gronk better.

If the SB were week 2 Gronk probably plays. We're 4-1, we aren't a desperate team. You're crazy if you don't think Gronk will give this team all he has, you're also crazy for wanting a guy to come back when YOU think he should after he just had back surgery and a handful of forearm surgeries.

Our offense may be desperate, but our team isn't. The defense has played above and beyond anyones predictions and we're sitting on a 4-1 record. We could drop to 4-3 and still not be desperate (though, losing 3 in a row would look bad), but the point is, we've exceeded all expectations to this point given our off season and the team is learning to win in ways they haven't had to in a long time.

As strange as it sounds, playing without the likes of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time (combined with winning the first 4 of 5 games) probably did more for this team than their on field play could have.

Key players got valuable experience they never would have had a chance to and they will now be matched up against 3rd, 4th, 5th string defenders after trying to (and in many cases) beat opponents 1's and 2's.

These posts kind of made me think of what would have happened if they had put Gronk on PuP like some people thought might happen. What would have happened to Vereen. Would they have put him on season ending IR or carry him on roster.

We don't know if Gronk was medically cleared to play previously. Just because you are practicing doesn't mean you are cleared to play in a game. Just because you are on the injury report as questionable doesn't mean you are cleared to play. Reports are now coming out that he is expected to be cleared to play on Sunday against the Saints. That means that he was not cleared to play previously. Does anybody know that when he is practicing that he still might have pain in his forearm or back?

Personally, I thought that the target deadline was for Gronk to come back after 6 weeks of rehabbing and getting his strength and conditioning back. I think if we won against the Bengals he probably might not have played this Sunday against the Saints. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't play on Sunday.

This is all speculation on my part. Isn't that what we are all doing, even the Media. Only Gronk and the Pats have the full picture.

Cmon Rob What part of my previous post didn't you understand, I ask again. How long do you think it takes to regain enough of the muscle mass lost over 5 months of inactivity to be able to at least partially function in the uber competitive environment of the NFL.

I doubt very much he did any serious strength training in the weeks leading up to his back procedure, and I doubt he did anything more than basic rehab work afterword, until September. He was also very limited in what he could do in March, April, and May, due the numerous arm procedures he underwent.

The Bottom Line is that there is NOTHING arbitrary concerning him coming back at this time (if he comes back this week) The fact it That it would take at LEAST 6 weeks of intensive strenghh training to gain back even 80% of where he would normally be had he worked out regularly over the off season. And it will probably take the rest of the regular season of doing extra strength work to get past the 90% number

IIRC you know something about weight training. You should know the time it takes to REALLY get into the kind of shape that everyone else in the league has been doing since March. Just because he's been able to move with total comfort for the last 6 weeks. Just because he's been able to run around the field and participate fully in what passes for full practices in the NFL these days. Doesn't mean he's been ready to actually play in full contact games.

Even if he proves to be ready this week (and I REALLY hope he is), he is in no way going be a "full strength" compared to everyone else in the league who has been at it full bore, since March.

Bottom Line: There is no story here, Just a natural progression of what needs to be done so he can reach a MINIMUM level of functional strength to be ready to play and have a reasonable hope of surviving.

Well said Ken, that's a good assessment blocking out all the noise from the mediots who I think are confusing everyone. He wasn't just dealing with the back but the arm issue too, that's going to take a while to get back into NFL game shape. BB said they didn't put him on pup because he was well enough to practice with the team and felt he would have a leg up when he was cleared to play.
I think most are taking out their frustration of watching an anemic offense on Sunday on Gronk. I'm sure he want's to be out there more than we want him out there.

This is all speculation on my part. Isn't that what we are all doing, even the Media. Only Gronk and the Pats have the full picture.
Although all of Pro Football Talk's reports are more than likely coming straight from Gronk's agent, as Rosenhaus and Florio are "buddies." So in that regard, I'd take what PFT says awfully seriously, and they say he's got a very good chance of playing this week.

You are right I dont know that and cant know that based on the info I am provided. But what I do know is that you cant be day to day for 6 seeks straight unless you tell me that there was some sort of set back.

But also keep in mind that I have admitted to being wrong in being upset he has not returned and instead stated my fear is for how acts with his next injury.

Well, Why cant he be day to day for 6 weeks ? Day to Day of improvement is expected. What do you want them to say ? He will be ready only after 2 weeks ? 3 weeks ? How will they know that ? And about his next injury, it comes to the same thing ...If he is ready to play and can play he will.All this comes because our Offense is struggling else no one would ask this every week.

I read it from the tool breer something very similar
Breer On Gresh & Zo: ?Gronk Has Dodged A Lot Of Criticism? « CBS Boston

“Look Gronk has dodged a lot of criticism here,” Breer said, “I think if this was another athlete and kind of taking it slow and being cautious with it there might be a little different tone an tenor to the way everybody has been approaching it. He’s gotten a pass.”

This is what everyone is doing ....ready brady and belichick's tone. Like they would sound any different . They are mad because of the weekly hourly updated status the media and breer is asking "How does he look?Is he better ?" .

Although all of Pro Football Talk's reports are more than likely coming straight from Gronk's agent, as Rosenhaus and Florio are "buddies." So in that regard, I'd take what PFT says awfully seriously, and they say he's got a very good chance of playing this week.

Not so sure.Rosenhaus has a very good relationship with BB and pats so I doubt he is leaking all this. Dont know how it benefits him or gronk.

Last edited:
I don't know why people don't get why its taken Gronk so long to be ready, even though he's been "cl,eared" to play for 6 weeks. Its simple. After 4 surgeries and being unable to condition himself, he's had to condense 6 months of off season conditioning into 6 weeks.
I'm kinda curious about where people are hearing that he has been "cleared to play."

Speaking only for myself, I've remained (mostly) quiet on the matter since we know absolutely zero facts about his health. All we know for certain is that:

1) He has been cleared to practice (as deduced from the fact that he is practicing).

2) He was not placed on the PUP list, which implies that they thought he would be ready sometime during the 1st 6 weeks, but even that was certainly no sure thing. If he isn't ready then he isn't ready, so there is no need to rush him into Game 6 for no other reason than to justify not PUPing him.

3) The only other fact I can say for sure is that he currently is not on the IR, which implies they expect he will be playing sometime this season.

I'm kinda curious about where people are hearing that he has been "cleared to play."

Speaking only for myself, I've remained (mostly) quiet on the matter since we know absolutely zero facts about his health. All we know for certain is that:

1) He has been cleared to practice (as deduced from the fact that he is practicing).

2) He was not placed on the PUP list, which implies that they thought he would be ready sometime during the 1st 6 weeks, but even that was certainly no sure thing. If he isn't ready then he isn't ready, so there is no need to rush him into Game 6 for no other reason than to justify not PUPing him.

3) The only other fact I can say for sure is that he currently is not on the IR, which implies they expect he will be playing sometime this season.

As BB would say, "Everyone is a doctor these days". Media "Projects" an injury, and then starts a watch when he is not there and then starts creating news and theories. Everyone knows that two people with the same health issues can get the same treatment but can recover differently. Still people wonder what is keeping a player out. If he played last week and pulled a hammy people will surely blame the pats for bringing him early and Breer wiill head that list.

Well, Why cant he be day to day for 6 weeks ? Day to Day of improvement is expected. What do you want them to say ? He will be ready only after 2 weeks ? 3 weeks ? How will they know that ?

How about saying week to week or month to month.

Or better yet just dont say day to day if you dont actually expect him to be ready any day soon.

Or even better still say whatever the hell you want to say but dont expect me not to get frustrated when what I see doesnt match what was said.

I will keep saying it but we dont pay to watch players not play. His job is to be the TE for the Patriots and he is not doing it right now, I can understand the reasons and still be frustrated.

How about saying week to week or month to month.

Or better yet just dont say day to day if you dont actually expect him to be ready any day soon.

Or even better still say whatever the hell you want to say but dont expect me not to get frustrated when what I see doesnt match what was said.

I will keep saying it but we dont pay to watch players not play. His job is to be the TE for the Patriots and he is not doing it right now, I can understand the reasons and still be frustrated.

You really pay a lot of price to what bb says every week ? Every player is day to day. How can he say week to week when its not that concrete ? And what oesnt match what was said ? He is day to day if you really are so hung up on it. We all know his job is to be TE for the pats and we dont pay to watch players not play. But what if he is not ready ? Dont you consider that a possibility it all ?If it makes you feel better to assume that gronk is milking this injury than so be it . The offense is frustrating and missing players can add to it but I can say for sure once and when he comes back he wont be the same player and you are hoping him to be for at least another 6 games and if the pats still struggle on offense, you have to get frustrated at something else.

Theyve been saying week 6 since about 3 weeks ago, and it looks like he is going to play this week. So I dont see the large deal.

keeping off PUP was a good decision whether he comes back this week, or came back week 2 because it allows him to practice with the team. So, when it is time to play he can be full speed ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST