PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Point by Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are correct. I think a serial murderer is a guy who plans it out( Lloyd). While a mass murderer is more like a spur of the moment (guys in Boston)

Still, could be a good discussion. We could go with sociopath murdering scumbag which fits well.

My question is why would a poster here still reference this person when it is simple to change your screen name? Birds of a feather I guess...

It's all about the stats B29. Three or more victims over a longer period of time vs four or more in a short time. Serial killer seems to fit Hernandez better. Here it is;
  1. A serial killer is typically defined as a person who murders three or more people over a period of more than 30 days, with a "cooling off" period between each murder, and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification.
  2. Mass murder (in military contexts, sometimes interchangeable with "mass destruction") is the act of murdering a large number of people (four or more), typically at the same time or over a relatively short period of time.
My question is what does this have to do with Peter King's great point? Like he ever had one.

The only reason to read the MMQB these days is because Bedard contributes sometimes.a

Right now, Wright is just a luxury. A shiny new tool for Josh to pull out when the time is right and exploit a match up, then its put back in the box until the next time its needed. I thought it might just be time vs Denver, but clearly Josh didn't think so. Nevertheless, Wright will inevitably be a big factor in a couple of games over the second half. I think for this season, his production will come in bunches

Always thought that the Mankins trade was a good move and would work out in the bigger picture, but I'd be lying if I said that I expected things to happen this quickly.

Great work, once again from Belichick, and let's hope for continued progress from both the OL and Tim Wright.

I always felt that Wright was kind of like the LaFell acquisition in the sense that a good portion of people had no idea who the hell they were, and that's why they questioned and "pooh-poohed" these selections.

Those of us who follow the goings on across the league as much as possible saw upside in BOTH of these players, along with some fairly successful seasons just last year.
When Belichick: General Manager helps Belichick: Head Coach, good things happen in New England. At this point, he's pulled a rabbit out of the hat with his in-season player acquisitions.

A while ago I read an article about how the Patriots grade players. Basically it allowed the Patriots to compare the value of different skill players to the team. A lesser skilled player who also played special teams maybe more valuable then a more skilled player who only played one position. It might explain how they could trade Mankins for Wright. Mankins who's value to the team was declining versus a No 2 pass catching TE who also can play special teams. A lesser valuable guard already on team plus the value of a No 2 pass catching TE who can play special teams was greater then the value of Mankins alone. One can speculate that the future value of Wright can only go up while Mankins value probably would continue to decline.

I can't remember the particular example but with the grading system not only could you for example compare the value of a RB to another RB but a RB to a WR or any other skilled position.

From watching the Pats over the years I can speculate that the value is tied to a cap number. They won't re-sign players who want more money then their value dictates. Still valuable players who value is declining are asked to restructure their contract to lesser money, if they decline they are usually traded, let go or not re-signed when they become FA. Players whose value is greater then their cap hit are usually offered another contract before they hit FA.

One advantage of this system is it takes emotions out of the equation. It also means that you must have faith in your grading system even when it results in failures, no system is 100% infallible. It's being able to say goodbye to Mankins and living with the fact that Amendola is not the value you thought he would be.

I also think they grade the players on the other teams. It's how they can pick up under valued players like Talib but then let him go when the cost of keeping him would be greater then the value. Or picking up an under valued Blount, getting great value then letting him go in FA. I think they are always looking for under valued players on other teams. Not all are successes but more often they are right then wrong.
They always seem to be willing to take a gamble on players who were injured as their value goes down because of injuries. Sometimes they get a bargain and other times it doesn't work out.

I know if I was a GM on another team and Bill was wanting to trade for him, I would take a long second look at this player and think if Bill wants this player on a team that is much more talented then our team, then why isn't he good enough for our less talented team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST