PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grade Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I've become a fan of QB ratings. I'm fine if Cassel is in the 80-85 range, esepcially if he can come close to that against good teams. TD's less INT's is also a fine stat for a QB in Cassel's position.

What offensive weapons surrounded Brady? Compare that to the weapons surrounding Cassel.

Don't give a sh!t. Both came in managed the game and didn't loss it for their team. That's what counts. Cassel is not the next Brady. No one is. But, he'll improve as the year gets on as we'd all expect and we'll end up being okay in the end.

Mostly because of the weapons he has around him, as you point out. ;)

Bottom line stop compairing the guy to a 7th year HOF QB in his prime. If you feel the need to compare him to Brady, compare him to when Brady was in the same position as a brand new starter in 2001. In that respect, they both did what they needed to and it worked out well.

Last edited:
Cassel is OK. What i want to see him doing is throwing a TD. He hasn't done that. I don't think that our O is going to be effective with running games.

Hopefully, we will see more TDs from him. Otherwise, we will be in trouble.

He threw one to Moss in Game 1. Yes, he had opportunities in Game 2, but I disagree about the running game. As long as Cassel can get us into the red zone, pounding it in with 5 RB's with different running styles should get us some TD's. Add in a few thrown TD's once the coaching staff gains confidence in him, it should be better than you project.

Well, it's only week 2, but one TD isn't great if your just looking at a number.

Cassel's biggest test will come when the team is behind and he is forced to throw every down (say, down 4 with under 2 minutes to go). That will show me what he can or can't do (but I also believe he can and will improve after the first situation like this)

It's important that he needs to establish his passing skills early. I don't like the idea that we depend on our D AND RB to win the game.

Our road is going to be touger when we pass 49. I want to see what he will do with 1 bye week. I hope he will improve his passing skill. Otherwise, Moss and Welker are not going to do much.

Don't give a sh!t. Both came in managed the game and didn't loss it for their team. That's what counts. Cassel is not the next Brady. No one is. But, he'll improve as the year gets on as we'd all expect and we'll end up being okay in the end.

Mostly because of the weapons he has around him, as you point out. ;)

Bottom line stop compairing the guy to a 7th year HOF QB in his prime. If you feel the need to compare him to Brady, compare him to when Brady was in the same position as a brand new starter in 2001. In that respect, they both did what they needed to and it worked out well.

You compared them. I only showed you that your comparison was flawed which is why you don't give a **** about the weapons Brady had. I never compared a 7th year HOF QB in his prime to Cassel. Regardless, this is the NFL. Nobody knows who the next HOF'er or next BUST is.

Thus far Cassel and the Patriots are doing what they need to do to win. Cassel is not the passer Brady is, but the entire team is stepping up to help him out. He will gain confidence as the season goes on and the teams get tougher. It isn't like he is in the same situation as Chad Pennington...Cassel is surrounded by lots of capable talent.

Don't you love it that all three Pats QB's are California guys. :)

C+. Nothing special, but made no mistakes.

Ditto. I'd say a C+. There's no way his performance warrants an A, as some have suggested. He missed some easy TD throws, and had 165 yards passing.

Cassel did a pretty good job overall yesterday against the Jets, espescially considering the fact that he hadn't started a game since high school. He did a great job of moving the ball down the field in short easy throws, but the only long ball that he really got off was dropped by Moss. I'd like to see some improvement, but I think he's off to a good start. I'd like to see him go for some longer throws and he needs to work on his red zone offense because he seemed to choke every time he got inside the 20 which is most apparent in the fact that he didn't have a single TD pass the whole game even though they were in striking distance several times. I give him a B+ he was good but there's still room for improvement, but hey even Brady struggled a little at first.

Thus far Cassel and the Patriots are doing what they need to do to win. Cassel is not the passer Brady is, but the entire team is stepping up to help him out. He will gain confidence as the season goes on and the teams get tougher. It isn't like he is in the same situation as Chad Pennington...Cassel is surrounded by lots of capable talent.

Don't you love it that all three Pats QB's are California guys. :)

Brady went to college in Michigan.

Definate C+ not sure how you can give him an 'A' and A would be like Kurt Warner numbers from yesterday. That being said I would have graded B- if he had hit Moss.

Also it was against pretty weak opponent as will next weeks game.

We NEED to know what he can do against a real team.

C+. A solid game. He managed the game well. Got some key first downs. Should have scored more touchdowns though. Missed the long ball to Moss, should have been an easy TD.

He could also be a B-. He played a little better than I expected I think. I'm happy with his performance.

Objectively if he were any QB under any average situation, I'd say B- or C+. Few mistakes, good presence at time, but took too many sacks, looked indecisive at times, and missed a TD to Moss.

BUT, under the circumstances as a whole, first start, replacing a HoFer, playing a team with a HoF QB, on the road, lots of media, I'd say A-.

I'm not going to grade him against Brady or against everyone's expectations of him... I'm going to grade him against the typical NFL starter... so, I'm going with a straight C. Average. He had 2 great opening drives, but couldn't convert in the red zone, and then looked more confused in the 2nd half when he started to get hit. He missed a wide-open Moss (although I realize he was pressured), and had a few other "where the hell was that going?" passes. But it's all good, he did what he had to do, and I'm still proud of him.

Those of you giving him an A are nuts, even relative to our expectations he was average at best... compared to an NFL starter? Aaron Rodgers had an A yesterday... not Cassel.

But, he's definitely going to improve, and I am pleased overall with his performance.

B. Moved the ball, didn't hurt us anywhere. Would be an A if he hit Moss at the end. Wasn't an easy throw considering the pressure, but one he will probably have to hit in the playoffs. Worried about how he looks under pressure, though he did make one great 3rd down pass to Morris just before the helmet to helmet.

I'd rather he take a sack then throw a pick IE: Favre! So overall I'd say B

Graded on an absolute scale where A+ is an ideal game for ALL QB's, Cassel is a B-.

Graded on a scale where A+ is the best you could hope for from a first time starting QB who last started in high school, I give Cassel an A-.

t

I thought it was an easy A.

ever heard of grade inflation? if this is an "easy A", what did tou give Brady in the in the Jacksonville playoff game or the Miami 6TD game?

B. Good considering the limited playbook, how much of that is on him? I didnt see any audibles, there were a few short throws, there is room for improvement. But the telling stat will always be INTs. This week the team with the fewest INTs are 8-4....throw more than 1 and the stat goes to 0-6.

Soild B! He didnt turn the ball over ,but he missed on a few passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft