PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grade Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually to me, yes that's exactly the way you look at it. You can't evaluate Peyton Manning the same way you evaluate Kyle Orton. They have completely different responsibilities beyond winning.

But you've just equated your personal fan expectations of the player with his level of responsibility on the field. Those are unrelated issues. I agree that you have to grade the player in the context of what he's asked to do -- that's why I like czech54's "gymnastics" approach. But what I've been seeing is "I give him an A because I never thought he could handle an NFL start." In that case, give yourself an F, and Cassel the B he earned. :)

In that case, give yourself an F, and Cassel the B he earned. :)

Haha...maybe you're right. I do like the gymnastics approach, in which I would have given high marks on execution without accounting for difficulty.

What were we all saying though last week? Manage the game, don't turn it over. That's exactly what he did. He didn't force anything when he was under pressure. When the Jets had an opening at 16-10, Cassel in two passes got NE to midfield and quieted the crowd. Yea he wasn't asked to win the game, but that's ok for a first start in 9 years, on the road, etc...

B- He was given a limited amount of pressure throws which put the game into the hands of Jordan and Co. and he made the best of it but will need to get timing down on long passes which should be coming up soon when they play against an offense that WILL score points like Indy.

I grade him a "W" which is a lot better then a grade of "L"

;)

Honestly, I just can't understand why people expect more right off the bat. We now have Miami, which is a "playing bye", then two weeks for San Fran.

Matt is all we could have hoped he'd be, and for what it's worth all Tom was in his first handful of starts in 2001.

B- He was given a limited amount of pressure throws which put the game into the hands of Jordan and Co. and he made the best of it but will need to get timing down on long passes which should be coming up soon when they play against an offense that WILL score points like Indy.

How many points has Indy scored this season? Are they still shutting down the run? Did they ever get underperforming that ST unit fixed?

My own thoughts, for whatever value they offer, I'd give him a B- and maybe I could be charitable and raise it to a B. He was good enough to beat two-thirds of the teams in this league, but I don't think he's prepared yet to shoot it out with Denver or Indy. He gets high marks for coming in for his first start in 8(?) years and not making any glaring mistakes. Gets mediocre marks for mobility inside the pocket. Brady's great and largely unmatched skill is the ability to step up, buy another second and throw a strike. Cassel needed one more second on all but the short and quick pass plays - Exhibit A would be the Randy Moss throw that should have gone for six. I'm assuming he can learn these sorts of things the more he plays.

B and I didn't expect anything else, not at this point anyway. Matt did a great job all things considered and he definitely has things to work on which is also expected.

I hate to even grade him at this point-as long as he plays the best he can, it's all good.

I'm hoping his best gets better with time, and I don't see how it can't really. He's definitely a hard worker, he's learned under the best, and the team's behind him 1000%.

I'm sure he'll make some mistakes but it's his overall improvement that's more grade-worthy. After the bye :)

There's no way he can get an A. But he didn't make crucial mistakes, which is very important. I'd say B- overall, but considering it's his first start, he just needs to keep improving and getting used to the offense.

B-

He played well, would have been an A had he hit Moss in stride. With more experience, he will read those types of plays better and be faster on the release (I hope).

Cassel is OK. What i want to see him doing is throwing a TD. He hasn't done that. I don't think that our O is going to be effective with running games.

Hopefully, we will see more TDs from him. Otherwise, we will be in trouble.

Cassel is OK. What i want to see him doing is throwing a TD. He hasn't done that. I don't think that our O is going to be effective with running games.

Hopefully, we will see more TDs from him. Otherwise, we will be in trouble.

He did throw a TD in game one, correct? Or did you mean just yesterday?

I think there were times where he looked a little uneasy, but he kept it together on the whole. A solid 'B' in my opinion. I was impressed with how crisp he throws the short stuff over the middle. Those aren't easy.

Agree w/ this, a good solid B. An 'A' is if he had connected on a couple of bombs to Moss, had maybe a productive crazy ass scramble that created something out of nothing, and the rest was the same. I thought he did a great job.

He seemed uneasy to me after he'd been popped in the knee, a bit unnerving to watch. My brain immediately put together a hit to the knee + 3 ensuing sacks and I was more uneasy than him. I missed part of the 3rd quarter driving over to friend's house, so didn't get to see him immediately after the half.

Wish TB the fastest recovery, but Cassel I think has some suprises for us all, and it will be interesting to watch him develop, watch the BB game-planning, etc. Don't remember where I read it (maybe remembering wrong), but I think there was a story a while back mentioning that in practice Cassel has a big arm/capable of airing it out. Will be fun to watch all this unfold.

Cassell did what I would expect from about 1/2 of the starting QB's in the league. That used to be called a "C". Someone gave him a bit more because of the situation, a B-.

I'm with you. I was happy with his performance, but if you are objectively grading the game performance in a vacuum (i.e. take away the first start since high school context) that was a C+ performance. Nothing special, *slightly* better than average.

Now if you want to factor in:

-First start since 1999
-Taking over for reigning NFL MVP
-Big division game on the road
-Media scrutiny, etc.

Then that elevates the grade in my mind to the B+ level. But if we are just talking about his QB play on the field, C+. Good enough to beat the Jets, but RZ efficiency will really need to pick up if Pats plan on hanging with Denver, SD & Company and need to hang 30+.

I'm with you. I was happy with his performance, but if you are objectively grading the game performance in a vacuum (i.e. take away the first start since high school context) that was a C+ performance. Nothing special, *slightly* better than average.

Now if you want to factor in:

-First start since 1999
-Taking over for reigning NFL MVP
-Big division game on the road
-Media scrutiny, etc.

Then that elevates the grade in my mind to the B+ level. But if we are just talking about his QB play on the field, C+. Good enough to beat the Jets, but RZ efficiency will really need to pick up if Pats plan on hanging with Denver, SD & Company and need to hang 30+.

Cassel real NFL game started in the first week after TB was out.

Don't forget about pre-season games too. He needs to show us more.

Yesterday. 1 TD is not impressive.

Well, it's only week 2, but one TD isn't great if your just looking at a number.

Cassel's biggest test will come when the team is behind and he is forced to throw every down (say, down 4 with under 2 minutes to go). That will show me what he can or can't do (but I also believe he can and will improve after the first situation like this)

Last edited:
Cassel was absolutely fine. He did his job -- no less, no more. That's the definition of "B" in my book.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say, so I'm just going to quote it.

I will add that there were more than a few instances where I was missing #12 - and that's to be expected, it's hard not to miss a HOF in his prime. Overall, I was pretty impressed with Cassel for the 2nd straight week. If he plays like this every week, we'll win a lot of games.

Last edited:
A little perspective.........

Brady's first game after coming in for Drew - He got the win and defense won it for him.

He went - 13/23, 168 / 0 TD / 0 INT / ~70 passer rating

Cassel's first game after coming in for Brady - He got the win and defense won it for him.

Cassel went - 16/23, 165 / 0 TD / 0 INT / ~83 passer rating

Brady improved with time over the season and eventually won the bowl. Matt likely will get better too and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
C+...If you give him an A, then what do you give Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler and O'Sullivan?

A little perspective.........

Brady's first game after coming in for Drew - He got the win and defense won it for him.

He went - 13/23, 168 / 0 TD / 0 INT / ~70 passer rating

Cassel's first game after coming in for Brady - He got the win and defense won it for him.

Cassel went - 16/23, 165 / 0 TD / 0 INT / ~83 passer rating

Brady improved with time over the season and eventually won the bowl. Matt likely will get better too and we'll see what happens.

What offensive weapons surrounded Brady? Compare that to the weapons surrounding Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back