PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski? Re-sign? Franchise? Let-go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BB also values the fact that Ghost is really willing to get his hands dirty. He tackles, runs, and digs for balls in scrums.

We need three players who will be impactful, a tall speedy wide receiver, a guard and an interior pass rusher.
No one should touch any other position. This team's chemistry is very strong and I pray BB does not mess it up.

Are you going to bench Julian Edelman (92 receptions, 972 yards) or Jo Jo LaFell (74 receptions, 953 yards)?

Are you going to bench Julian Edelman (92 receptions, 972 yards) or Jo Jo LaFell (74 receptions, 953 yards)?

Why would you need to bench either?

???
We have a #3 WR now. His name is Amendola. We play lots of 3 WR sets. Our #3 WR has gotten lots and lots of reps. If we signed an upgrade over Amendola (not likely to happen), then that player would have lots of receptions, as would Edelman and LeFell.

At MINIMUM, the player would take all of Amendola's 2014 reps and be more of a threat.

Pretty much...

While I'm not sure they were projecting Edelman as a backup given what had gone down during the 2012 season,....

Amendola replaced Welker
Edelman replaced Edelman

Some people here get so desperate for a Patriots "win" about everything, that they just can't seem to admit when the Patriots make mistakes or get lucky. The Patriots screwed up the Welker situation. It's not the first time that sort of thing has happened, and it's not the last. Fortunately, every other team makes mistakes too. Also fortunately, BB/TB make for one hell of a mistake overcoming duo.

And also fortunately, Edelman's been able to stay on the field for the past two seasons.
Did we though? We were lucky to bring Edelman back but Dola was huge in bringing us a Lombardi while Wes seemed to come up short. In all fairness to Wes though, him along with D. Thomas were the only ones to show up for Denver in the SB but, I'd say Amendola was a good signing even if he's overpaid. The Lomardi is what it's all about.

Would anyone be surprised if the team drafted a kicker this year and let Gost walk?

We better not Ross, these playoffs almost killed me, you know we usually play close games against everybody except the Colts, a new kicker would really age me another 20 years. lol...At least Ghost is almost automatic and I can relax when he goes in, imagine if we had to worry about our kicker lol

After giving it some thought, Gostkowski is the MOST important signing at the moment. Nothing is more annoying than having a bad special teams unit.

lol....I agree that having a bad special team unit is annoying, but in order of priority I would say it's Revis number 1 and McCourty number 2.

Did we though? We were lucky to bring Edelman back but Dola was huge in bringing us a Lombardi while Wes seemed to come up short. In all fairness to Wes though, him along with D. Thomas were the only ones to show up for Denver in the SB but, I'd say Amendola was a good signing even if he's overpaid. The Lomardi is what it's all about.

Yes, "we" did.

We better not Ross, these playoffs almost killed me, you know we usually play close games against everybody except the Colts, a new kicker would really age me another 20 years. lol...At least Ghost is almost automatic and I can relax when he goes in, imagine if we had to worry about our kicker lol
I hear ya Ashley, just was floating the thought... I would prefer to keep him but if it came down to signing him and McCourty walking or being able to keep McCourty and having to draft a K, I would probably lean toward the latter. As hard as that is to think about.

Random: I just realized that Ghostkowski kicked 1 FG throughout these playoffs and it was a meaningless one during a blowout.

We still need him back though.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/points-per-dollar.1117000/ hasn't traction yet, but it's actually pretty relevant to this thread, or at least to its original subject, namely Gost.

Your idea is theoretically a good one. I think that the analysis would be very difficult and that there would be lots of disagreements. Brady probably gives better value per dollar than almost any QB? Or does he, compared to someone on their first contract like Wilson?

For example, I don't how how we'd answer the question of the value of our 3rd WR. How would Amendola be worth instead of using Tyms in 2014? in 2015? What would be the marginal value of Thomas?

Lynch may be a huge value in $/points playing for the seahawks, perhaps much less for the patriots, even though he'd be a huge upgrade.

How many more points would be have had with a pro bowl quality LG instead of Connolly?

For the most part I think that these questions are unanswerable. Belichick does do this kind of analysis in his head. :) For example, I think that Belichick has sometimes shown that he thinks that RG's or RT's can be picked up on waivers and do just fine.

Random: I just realized that Ghostkowski kicked 1 FG throughout these playoffs and it was a meaningless one during a blowout.

Yeah. If Lynch had scored on that first down run, I think we'd want very badly to have Ghost.

To be fair it was not meaningless at the time

To be fair it was not meaningless at the time
You're right, I forgot it was made in the first half with the game still close. I was thinking it came late in the 4th Q for some reason

I would prefer that all three of Gostkowski, Revis, and McCourty get done before FA starts. Revis has to come first since his contract ties up so much cap space, but after that, they just need to get one of the other two done and franchise the other if need be.

The rumors that have been floated are that McCourty was playing some hardball and not as welcoming as we would've hoped as far as a new deal goes. Of course that information is limited so all we can do is take it with a grain of salt.

One thing to consider is that McCourty will be a pretty big deal, so franchising him would give the team until the middle of July to come to an agreement. I'm guessing that the Gost deal is considered to be much more manageable. I don't think it would make much sense to pay your kicker 4.5m on the franchise tag. Just my opinion.

No idea what we do. But, BB sure does seem to be trying to put less and less emphasis on kickers in some of his competition committee suggestions.

What suggestions has BB made that would put less emphasis on kickers?

You mean like we did to the greatest kicker in NFL history?

The Greatest kicker in NFL History? Who would that be? You can't be talking about Vinatieri because he's not the greatest kicker in NFL history..

The Greatest kicker in NFL History? Who would that be? You can't be talking about Vinatieri because he's not the greatest kicker in NFL history..
Yeah, that is bizarre. Most clutch...sure.
I am not sure if anyone has noticed but Ghostowski is kicking better than AV did.

Except he wasn't.

Welker was our #1 WR. Edelman was absolutely slotted into that role when he left.

Amedola was signed to give us more depth at that position because we lost one of our top WRs.

So your response was an epic fail.

Revisionist history at it's finest. Edelman was a Free agent when Welker walked. Amendola was signed after Welker refused the Pats offer.. Edelman wasn't re-signed until late in the free agency period. And when he was, it was at a reduced deal because the Pats had already signed Amendola.

You are the epic fail. Not Deus (for a change)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST