PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski? Re-sign? Franchise? Let-go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipster9

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Most focus is on Revis & McCourty. Understandable.

How about Gost? He wasn't too bad last few years..

No idea what we do. But, BB sure does seem to be trying to put less and less emphasis on kickers in some of his competition committee suggestions.

"Wasn't too bad?"

Quite an understatement IMO. Gostkowski has been a very reliable kicker for nearly a decade. He has had a few not so great moments (Arizona game) but otherwise been great. He's among the very best at the position. I thought he's been paid well before. We'll keep him one way or another.

Re-sign him. He has the franchise record for points scored ;)

He's filled in nicely since Vinatieri left and I don't think we could find anyone better to fill in for Stephen. I doubt he asks for much, and word is McCourty gets the tag if we can't make a deal.

No idea what we do. But, BB sure does seem to be trying to put less and less emphasis on kickers in some of his competition committee suggestions.
Less? He's put more emphasis on the kickers by suggesting that we move back the extra point distance so it isn't a 99.999999% chance that the kicker makes it.

Ummm . . . what?

He's not against kickers, he's against the idea of the meaningless XP that gets converted essentially 100% of the time.

He's only third all-time in FG %age, after Justin Tucker (BAL) and Dan Bailey (DAL, dome).

We need three players who will be impactful, a tall speedy wide receiver, a guard and an interior pass rusher.
No one should touch any other position. This team's chemistry is very strong and I pray BB does not mess it up.

Special teams were A++ when it counted. In the Super Bowl, 5 kickoffs and 5 touchbacks. 4 punts for 46 ypk and a total of 6 yards TTOAL in returns.....That's why I had to laugh when the bozos on NFLN ALL gave the special teams advantage to Sea. That being said, can we get a reliable kicker for less than $4 million per year??? When you have limited resources, it wouldn't shock me to see them let him go and draft a young kicker in the 4th round and reallocate that $$ to resigning McCourtey or Revis...
As much as I'd love to see the kid from Florida State, he's not eligible for another year. Could be Ficken from Penn State ( he hit a few clutch ones ) if they do go that route...Pickings are as good as years past...

We need three players who will be impactful, a tall speedy wide receiver, a guard and an interior pass rusher.
No one should touch any other position. This team's chemistry is very strong and I pray BB does not mess it up.

The WR, Dobson, and the interior pass rusher, Easley, may already be on the roster.

Last edited:
It will cost at least $4.44 million to tag Gostkowski.

I agree that the tag should be used on McCourty to buy some more time for negotiations. My guess is that Gostkowski will re-sign with the team.

Ummm . . . what?

He's not against kickers, he's against the idea of the meaningless XP that gets converted essentially 100% of the time.
Because the kicks would be more difficult, teams would go for it more on 4th down and 2pt conversions.

Easly will be the interior pass rusher. We need a load that can collapse the pocket and stuff the run.

That being said, can we get a reliable kicker for less than $4 million per year??? When you have limited resources, it wouldn't shock me to see them let him go and draft a young kicker in the 4th round and reallocate that $$ to resigning McCourtey or Revis...

You'd be trading cap space for confidence.

Think about this: since Gostkowski won the job as a rookie, he has had no meaningful competition for his roster spot. Even keeping Shayne Graham in 2011 was merely insurance in case Gostkowski's injury had affected him (it didn't).

Letting Gostkowski walk would be at least as bad a mistake, and I would argue a worse mistake, than letting Welker go last year.

May be the year to trade for future year's picks.....Find a team desperate to trade up and get them to give up a higher pick next year....

I agree that the tag should be used on McCourty to buy some more time for negotiations. My guess is that Gostkowski will re-sign with the team.

I would prefer that all three of Gostkowski, Revis, and McCourty get done before FA starts. Revis has to come first since his contract ties up so much cap space, but after that, they just need to get one of the other two done and franchise the other if need be.

Would anyone be surprised if the team drafted a kicker this year and let Gost walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST