PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow--I happen to have a disagreement in views with most of the folks on this board about Spygate and your team and have been honest about that. In fact, I was once banned here under another name for simply asking the question when the story first broke and Walsh said in the NYT that "there are things that no one has taken responsibility for yet", "is anyone here concerned about this"? That's literally pretty much all I wrote and I got banned. It was an honest question in that I wanted to see what people here thought, yet I was banned and shouted down in very short order, in some cases by folks who said all of this would come to nothing in short order--it still might come to nothing, but I think we can all agree that it's been no short order.

This story interests me, as it does indeed raise and potentially reinforce some of my pre-existing suspicions, so where better to discuss it than a Pats board? I've learned a few things from some of the posters here (VAPats comes to mind), since I don't believe, nor have I ever stated, that anyone here knows what the "truth" on this matter is and perhaps we'll never find out. While I'm no fan of your team or coach, after reading many of the posts here on this topic I still think I keep much more of an open mind on this than most posters here--you're fans of the Pats mainly so you're entitled to have those views certainly, but it's the absolute puritannical certainty of them in the face of contradictory evidence that I find odd. As some of you may note, I've gone on the record stating I think there's about a 70% chance that Walsh let his mouth overload his butt in talking to the press last winter and will have nothing new of interest, but I do think there's a 30% chance he has something you all won't be happy about in a week's time. For those of you saying it's a 0% chance, I just don't see how you can say that from where all of us sit.

To the gentleman above who hopes your team passes even more when they're up on us 48-0 next season, the fact that your team and coach already did similar things last year (that Washington game comes to mind--I actually don't blame you for the 56-10 butt kicking of us last year, as you did actually show some restraint in that one) is one reason why your team is pretty universally disliked outside its immediate fanbase and remember, what goes around comes around. When it does, I'll try to remain classy and not come here to rub it in (like I did by staying away after your SB loss), but posters like you make that a hard impulse to resist. And for all you folks who say that that's just natural, all dominant teams are universally hated, I'd have to disagree on that. Other than perhaps the Cowboys, I can't think of another dynasty (and yes, I'd say this Pats team qualifies as a dynasty) that created this reaction in other fans--did folks hate the '60s Packers or the '70s Steelers? I doubt the former and can vouch for a "no" on the latter, as I lived through that myself.

I don't come here to start fights, but as noted above, I enjoy talking football and I find this topic in particular to be interesting, figuring you all would most likely have the most up to date and informed views on this topic. It's too bad that there's no room at all here for an honest discussion of these points with people with an opposing view......

And you are admittedly one of those who is the that universe that hates the Pats so STFU with your "open mind" BS. You showed your true colors with your stick to the big market owners and teams stuff earlier. You have been exposed. You've even left yourself some wriggle room now with the "we may never no the truth" BS. That way you can keep beating the drum if no proof comes. Real honest discussion there, wouldn't you say? If there is indeed proof then you can bloviate, but untill then it's just obvious wishfull thinking. Open mind my azz. Allthough your motivation is skewed or outright dishonest, you've brought up some valid questions. The only problem is you apply a double stadard to the Patriots and with rest of the league so you'll never hear the answer...........and so goes the rest of the universal hate for the Patriots. I've accepted the fact that people have already made up there minds. No punishment will ever be good enough. Anything less than a public hanging will prove to you guys some kind of Pariots favoritism or payoff. I guess i can live with that. As a matter of fact it will make my day. The Pats will keep going on and everyone of you guys will be miserable.

I think Fanetic is either Masochistic or delusional. He spouts his anti Pats anti Belichick BS and expects real Pats fans to accept his reasoning or admit the errors of our ways and seek forgiveness. Give it up troll we don't give a crap about what you or people like you think and it will be same tomorrow. We don't go to Bills sites and and start knocking them.

...and we certainly don't care if we're "the most hated" team or fanbase. Why on earth would we care? I'd love to hear him explain why Patriot fans should care about the opinion of Bills or any other NFL fan.

There are no secrets being held in the mighty Gillette fortress...nor have there ever been any.:cool:

See, FF, this is where I start to get irritated. "What goes around comes around". Are you freakin kidding me?
1. When Peyton was trying to break the TD record, not ONE mediot got bent out of shape about him throwing TD's at will. And it's not like people didn't see what he was doing...he threw 6 on Thanksgiving against a crap Lions team, and all people talked about was how great it was to watch this special player be at his best. Then Tom Brady does the SAME THING, and people pile on.

2. Also, the Pats SUCKED for YEARS. And when they did luck into the Super Bowl, millions of people watched Mike Ditka run up the score on them and not a peep was made about it.

3. No one ever said to take out Peyton or someone might intentionally hurt him. No one ever said "Hey Indianapolis, what goes around comes around with all these TD's passes!"
Peyton is "the best that ever played" with a "high octane offense". Tom Brady is a "system QB" who did well because his coach "cheated". It is f*cking sickening.

You're right, what goes around does come around. This dynasty is payback for all the teams that looked at thier schedules for years and said "Well, you can write down that Patriots game as a win cause they are a joke."

Score away, boys. I want to hear air raid sirens when the Pats are playing. And finish the Godd@mn job this year.

Hey FootballFanetic, I'd love to see your logical response to the 3 excellent points made by blackglass3 above.

You said you're "just a football fan" so let's hear your absolute non-biased explanation on the above points.

Fact#1
It is perfectly legal and acceptable for teams to tape each others defensive signals, offensive signals, cheerleading routines and players picking their noses on the bench, per NFL rules, as long as it is done with a roof over your head and walls on either side of you, ie. from the press box, coaches box, luxury boxes, covered seating etc.. I also think it is considered acceptable from anywhere but the sidelines. Basically with todays camera technology you can tape it from anywhere including space and get a crystal clear view. Hell, it's even shown on national t.v. frequently during the game. You and I could see the signals from home or our seats in the stadium. Hell, Bellichick would have to cover his eyes to avoid seeing them. Stealing signs is not against the rules and taping them is not against the rules.... Taping them from the sidelines is.
Take as an example the story of how the Jets would tape the teams defensive/offensive etc. alignments at Gillette (and everywhere else they went). They did always ask permission and the pats always gave it to them. The only thing they asked them not to do was take it from the endzones (on field or behind the seating section) where the view would be best for them, and give them a better view of our alignments. Sound kind of familiar to the guidelines imposed on taping? The fact that taping from the NFL's restricted areas is o.k. UNLESS permission is given from the home team, suggests that this is not a serious rule, but more of a guideline. The Patriots always allowed it (within reason) and probably expected the same courtesy from other teams.
Of course the Jets were found taping in the endzones :rolleyes: so the pats asked them to leave. They did. Later the pats personel went back to the endzone area that the Jets were taping in and guess what they found?! Yup, thats right, the Jets were back in the same place that they were asked politely to leave....and once again, were asked politely to leave. Did the pats grab the guys cameras and turn them over to the league? No. They accepted that this is just what is done, and that it is in their own best interest to keep on their toes about it. The fact that it is at the home teams discretion to allow this leads me to realize that the pats game we were accused of taping "illegally" were all away games. Does this mean that when the Pats did it at home, it was not "cheating" but on the road it was? Which leads me to......

Everytime I read this and am reminded of this fact, it makes me realize how much of a moron Goodell is.

I have been told on another thread that Goodell is rteally good buddies with Kraft and he is doing this because they are really friends.

FF talks about having an honest discussion when he is a total phony on what he was...LOL...Was just an objective football fan..HIS WORDS.. hardly honest...what a joke...

Why are you guys getting so upset? This is ob some 20 year old nerd, getting his rocks of riling up a bunch of pats fans.

The hate we recieve from others team's fan bases, stems from pure envy. They are angry we win year in and year out, and they are doing evything they can to take away from that fact!

Last edited:
Walsh may not have anything worthy but the media can make it to be .The original 'spygate' itself a great example. The media made a big deal out of it and were still not happy goodell didnt suspend bb.
Lets face it -BB doesnt have many friends in the media . Anything walsh says whether it was old or new info will just be spun around .
I am probably in the minority but i really concerned about this Walsh meeting. If BB gets suspended , i will stop watching the league all together

On the narrow point of a Belichick suspension, I think that the only things that will get BB suspended are (a) the extremely unlikely event that Walsh produces a tape of the Walkthrough or (b) the unlikely event that Walsh produces evidence that the Patriots committed more violations than they have already admitted. Allegations without proof will spawn a media firestorm that will die out before Training Camp and will not result in a suspension.

Wow--I happen to have a disagreement in views....It's too bad that there's no room at all here for an honest discussion of these points with people with an opposing view......

I think people out here would take your views better if you hadn't tried at various times to pass yourself off as a "Pats fan" (when you initially introduced yourself as a "Bills fan").

A number of us who are proven fans and have the team's best interests at heart have said some pretty critical things of the way the Patriots have handled this whole mess (including, by the way, that the Pats created the mess of their own accord in the first place) and have been quite realistic about the implications of the existence a "Walkthrough Tape" or of any other hard evidence (emphasis on "evidence") that the Pats had more violations than they admitted when they "came clean" (basically, that we're toast in either case). Others seem to find a respectful way to disagree with us when we take these views.

However, you have somehow managed to come across as disingenuous and as having an agenda that goes beyond a lively debate. And, by the way, I think that's a fair assessment.

I think people out here would take your views better if you hadn't tried at various times to pass yourself off as a "Pats fan" (when you initially introduced yourself as a "Bills fan").

A number of us who are proven fans and have the team's best interests at heart have said some pretty critical things of the way the Patriots have handled this whole mess (including, by the way, that the Pats created the mess of their own accord in the first place) and have been quite realistic about the implications of the existence a "Walkthrough Tape" or of any other hard evidence (emphasis on "evidence") that the Pats had more violations than they admitted when they "came clean" (basically, that we're toast in either case). Others seem to find a respectful way to disagree with us when we take these views.

However, you have somehow managed to come across as disingenuous and as having an agenda that goes beyond a lively debate. And, by the way, I think that's a fair assessment.

You're dead-on in your assessment of FootballFanetic. There is nothing worse than a phony who pretends to be sincere and this guy has convinced himself he is sincere.

He is blinded by his own hatred to the point he can't or won't admit that is the main force driving his posts.

I can't believe he actually tried to claim he "thought we'd be interested" in the facts & opinions he was presenting...gee, he's just a football fan:rolleyes:

Keep in mind that we don't know exactly what TPTB told Goodell. It is theoretically possible that there are things the Patriots have already admitted to, and that we haven't learned about, but are included in the penalty Goodell handed down. [Please note--I'm not saying there are such things, merely that this is a possibility.]

After all the publicity this non-topic has generated, one thing that stands out as clear as day is that there is no reason to speculate on what might happen or what might have happened in the past. Hell, everything we've heard to date has been pure speculation, so why add to it.

In all honesty, I wish Goodell could review the information in private and if he finds nothing, make an announcement that says just that....

"After reviewing the information Mr Walsh brought to us, I have determined he offered nothing new nor had any proof to back his statements. I will not entertain any questions regarding my decision & consider the matter closed"

Man, would I love that!

Last edited:
After all the publicity this non-topic has generated, one thing that stands out as clear as day is that there is no reason to speculate on what might happen or what might have happened in the past. Hell, everything we've heard to date has been pure speculation, so why add to it.

In all honesty, I wish Goodell could review the information in private and if he finds nothing, make an announcement that says just that....

"After reviewing the information Mr Walsh brought to us, I have determined he offered nothing new nor had any proof to back his statements. I will not entertain any questions regarding my decision & consider the matter closed"

Man, would I love that!

As good as that would be it won't matter to the likes of footballfanatic. They'll just start in with a new round of payoff and cover-up crap. God do I want another SB to rub in their faces!

Keep in mind that we don't know exactly what TPTB told Goodell. It is theoretically possible that there are things the Patriots have already admitted to, and that we haven't learned about, but are included in the penalty Goodell handed down. [Please note--I'm not saying there are such things, merely that this is a possibility.]

interesting perspective and not all the way out in left field (maybe just in shallow left just out of the reach of the Shortstop). thanks.

Man, would I love that!

this is one heckuva "non-topic," given all the trees that have died for it and all the bandwith that's been filled with it.

i think it is fair to speculate on what might happen. like it or not, the mess is in the public domain and folks are going to talk about it. trying to add voices of sanity to that speculation isn't all that unreasonable.

Hey FootballFanetic, I'd love to see your logical response to the 3 excellent points made by blackglass3 above.

You said you're "just a football fan" so let's hear your absolute non-biased explanation on the above points.

As usual, the Fanetic clams up when people present valid points against his arguments. He'll pop up in another Walsh thread in a couple of days, and then ignore everyone's questions again.

This has been happening since late February...hopefully we will not see him after May 13th.

As usual, the Fanetic clams up when people present valid points against his arguments. He'll pop up in another Walsh thread in a couple of days, and then ignore everyone's questions again.

This has been happening since late February...hopefully we will not see him after May 13th.
Can we petition a mod to officially change his name to FootballOstrich? (or, more appropriately, FootballOstrech since his spelling isn't so strong)

If that is what he has truly been doing, we should petition to mods to ban him. I mean, isn't that the definition of "trolling" our board?

Wow--I happen to have a disagreement in views with most of the folks on this board about Spygate and your team and have been honest about that. In fact, I was once banned here under another name for simply asking the question when the story first broke and Walsh said in the NYT that "there are things that no one has taken responsibility for yet", "is anyone here concerned about this"? That's literally pretty much all I wrote and I got banned. It was an honest question in that I wanted to see what people here thought, yet I was banned and shouted down in very short order, in some cases by folks who said all of this would come to nothing in short order--it still might come to nothing, but I think we can all agree that it's been no short order.

This story interests me, as it does indeed raise and potentially reinforce some of my pre-existing suspicions, so where better to discuss it than a Pats board? I've learned a few things from some of the posters here (VAPats comes to mind), since I don't believe, nor have I ever stated, that anyone here knows what the "truth" on this matter is and perhaps we'll never find out. While I'm no fan of your team or coach, after reading many of the posts here on this topic I still think I keep much more of an open mind on this than most posters here--you're fans of the Pats mainly so you're entitled to have those views certainly, but it's the absolute puritannical certainty of them in the face of contradictory evidence that I find odd. As some of you may note, I've gone on the record stating I think there's about a 70% chance that Walsh let his mouth overload his butt in talking to the press last winter and will have nothing new of interest, but I do think there's a 30% chance he has something you all won't be happy about in a week's time. For those of you saying it's a 0% chance, I just don't see how you can say that from where all of us sit.

To the gentleman above who hopes your team passes even more when they're up on us 48-0 next season, the fact that your team and coach already did similar things last year (that Washington game comes to mind--I actually don't blame you for the 56-10 butt kicking of us last year, as you did actually show some restraint in that one) is one reason why your team is pretty universally disliked outside its immediate fanbase and remember, what goes around comes around. When it does, I'll try to remain classy and not come here to rub it in (like I did by staying away after your SB loss), but posters like you make that a hard impulse to resist. And for all you folks who say that that's just natural, all dominant teams are universally hated, I'd have to disagree on that. Other than perhaps the Cowboys, I can't think of another dynasty (and yes, I'd say this Pats team qualifies as a dynasty) that created this reaction in other fans--did folks hate the '60s Packers or the '70s Steelers? I doubt the former and can vouch for a "no" on the latter, as I lived through that myself.

I don't come here to start fights, but as noted above, I enjoy talking football and I find this topic in particular to be interesting, figuring you all would most likely have the most up to date and informed views on this topic. It's too bad that there's no room at all here for an honest discussion of these points with people with an opposing view......

NOOOOOOOO...... sir you did not say that you are "curious" or "interested". You are not asking "honest questions to see what we thought".

You are saying you dislike our team (which is fine) and hope that bad stuff comes out about the franchise to basically please you as a Buffalo fan. Let me quote what you said, that I took you to task over.....

"What do I hope will happen? Personally, as someone who really doesn't care for your team much, and who suspects that your coach and organization are capable of a lot worse than what they've been charged with so far, I'd like to see Walsh have some of what I suspect has really been going on at Gillette and I'd like to see that made public and, if that happens, your team and coached punished appropriately for that and, if there is a lot there, I'd like to see Kraft's and the other big market owner's lapdog Goodell go as well. Will that happen? We'll now see--something that many of you said would never happen just a couple short weeks ago..... "

End quote.

Does that statement jive at all with what you have just said in response? Absolutely not. If you feel that way, then say it, stand by it, and be prepared to hear the other side of the story. Don't back down and try to back out of what you said. What you said is perfectly fine as your opinion, but either stand by it or take it back after reading what others have wrote and becoming more informed. Don't just tuck your tail between your legs and try to cover up the inflamatory remarks you made, while forgetting that we can just go back and read them.

Well again, I think I have shown that I am not trying to smash you or your franchise because I am a fan of the opposition. I respect your right to your opinion however irrational it is. But at least stick to it or admit you were wrong or at least went overboard.

Let me also give you my opinion on blowing out opponents. Personally If my team loses, I don't care if its by 1 point or being blown out of the stadium. WE STILL LOST! I would honestly rather have been blown away by the Giants in the superbowl, than be beat by 3 points. I would not be left with a lifetime of singling out plays and officials calls and wondering "what if". Being blown out should tell you more about your own team than the ones beating you to a pulp. It pretty much shows you that you need serious work in all phases of the game, and gives you plenty of stuff to take away, that will make you better in the long run.
My old Kenpo Sensei used to say "you never learn anything from winning, you only learn from losing, and when you get your @ss handed to you, you learn it quickly".
Need an example to back up that theory? O.K. here's one that should hit you where you sleep.

Harken back to the first game of the 2003 season. The Patriots go to Buffalo and get slapped around to the tune of a 38-0 LOSS to the Bills. Flash forward to the last game of the season, 13 wins later, and we watch the Pats cornhole the Bills to the tune of a 38-0 WIN! Making it a glorious 14-2 season which ended in a Superbowl title. So from the bottom of my heart......Thank You Bills! :D You beat us badly, We learned quickly and went on to an historic season. From the exact reversal of 38-0 scores, it would seem to indicate that since we lost, we learned, and from that victory, you learned nothing.
So what if we left our starters in?! the other team not only learns from their mistakes, but in a blowout it gives them an opportunity to get their backups valuable playing time against starting caliber opponents. But alas no... the other teams still left their starters in. I guess it made a ton of sense to leave starters in, in a losing effort. Risking injury and giving the young guys no experience. Bill Bellichick said openly "They didn't pull their starters. If their starters are in, our starters are in". So those teams brought it on themselves.

So honestly if everybody wants to be crybabies and pee their pants because we handed them their @sses, fine. But wouldn't it be better if they used that horrible loss to the Pats as a lesson, and use what they learned to grow and make a run at the title? But of course not, they all just turn their attention to us instead of looking at themselves, and how to avoid it happening again.
Did you hear anybody on the pats or any fan of the pats squeeling like a little girl with a skinned knee after that big loss to the Bills?

You can also look at it like this, there is no lead so big that you can't be beat. Remember a few years back, the Colts overcoming a 34 point 4th quarter deficit against the Bucs?

and for your comment of hoping "we get whats coming to us" because we beat people by wide margins.
Honestly, we did.
We learned nothing from all the winning, because you really can't. The Giants learned from that loss to us in week 17.
The Pats went out there trying to do the same flashy crap they used all year, even though teams learned how to defend against it. When it didn't work, instead of going back to the small things that got them 3 other titles recently, they just kept on doing it, and paid the price.
The Giants learned form their loss and got a Lombardi trophy for their troubles..... we learned nothing from 18 straight wins, and we got a clearance sale on AFC Champs gear for our troubles.:bricks:
My Sensei's proverb in action, in all of these examples.

So, if you would like to continue having honest, thought provoking and friendly discussions with us Pats fans, then open your mind and stick around.
If you just want to vent you verbal frustrations and be a sh!t stirrur, then go p!ss on an electric fence and rejoin the Bills forums. They will gladly let you join their p!ss and moan sessions there...but it might be a little difficult to hear through the sound of all the crickets. :D

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOO...... sir .................

, then go p!ss on an electric fence and rejoin the Bills forums. They will gladly let you join their p!ss and moan sessions there...but it might be a little difficult to hear through the sound of all the crickets. :D

I nominate Blizzzard as the Pats Fan of Spring '08! :D

Great work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk