PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walsh may not have anything worthy but the media can make it to be .The original 'spygate' itself a great example. The media made a big deal out of it and were still not happy goodell didnt suspend bb.
Lets face it -BB doesnt have many friends in the media . Anything walsh says whether it was old or new info will just be spun around .
I am probably in the minority but i really concerned about this Walsh meeting. If BB gets suspended , i will stop watching the league all together

I agree...very, very slim to none chance of #2 happening.

If Mr Walsh had something BIG, how & why would/could he have kept it to himself for all these years?

c'mon man, this stuff just doesn't come out of no where 7 years after the fact.

Everyone was wondering what took walsh so long to come forward. My theory-he was working with spector,lawyers , ESPN and anyone to find more and more info to make himself saleable. In other words he was buying time to have the league consider himself seriously. What he has found , no one knows.

I agree with SVN. I am not feeling great about the meeting. Of course I would not be surprised if Walsh cancels the meeting due to new "demands". I am finding it hard to fathom why Walsh would actually go to the meeting if he has nothing. I think, either way, Kraft's lawyers are ready. I just want this over.

Also, on a side note. I happen to be enjoying reading the Indy fans posts on other boards regarding Marvin Harrison. But I would NEVER go to another teams board and post inflammatory remarks there. It is their board for their team. That is why FootballFanatic's posts irk me. I get you don't like my team. I get you don't like my coach. I get you don't like my state. But for someone who dislikes us so much you do seem to spend a lot of time here.

I agree...very, very slim to none chance of #2 happening.

If Mr Walsh had something BIG, how & why would/could he have kept it to himself for all these years?

c'mon man, this stuff just doesn't come out of no where 7 years after the fact.

That's an aspect of this situation that should have been examined more.

For arguments sake, let's say Walsh actually has a tape of the Rams pre-SB walk through. After he was fired in 2003, he chose not to reveal this evidence. He kept silent during the build up to SBs 38 and 39.

Apparently, he would only reveal this incriminating evidence only when the Patriots (1) Were caught breaking the rules about sideline videotaping (2) Went undefeated in the regular season (3) Were a Super Bowl participant.

Who knows? If those 3 conditions weren't met, this story wouldn't have come out. Walsh would still be an anonymous golf pro in Hawaii, just biding his time.

Or maybe Walsh has no walk through tape, but he and his backers saw this as an opportunity to maximize some negative publicity.

Amen.

I heard some similar garbage from Bob Ryan either Thursday or Friday. Some rambling bs about how Goofdell originally was ready to dismiss the myth that is Matt Falsh but has since come to believe Falsh has legitimate additional material. Of course not one single source I've seen has yet to even take a stab at backing this belief up instead only focusing on inflammatory hyperbole. Ryan also said it's his understanding that Falsh does not have a walk through tape but that he has something more than just the material that has been revealed so far. He also kept emphasizing that if there is however a walk through regardless of how we claim it was created there will be far stiffer penalties than what have been levied so far. This is the first I have heard anyone in the media speak as though the plausible deniability angle has been contemplated.

It really ticked me off to hear all this. First I don't believe he knows any of the above to be true. It's yet another overreaching statement which is again an embelishment of what Goofdell said about the potential consequences of additional information. Secondly, none of this intensification and fiery speculation would even exist if it weren't for Goofdell's woeful inability to properly countour his message.

One of two things are applicable here. Goofdell either wants the media to feel as though there is more material and therefore they are waiting with baited breath for his ascention to the mount where he will pull Bill's head from the bag and pound his chest while drinking the blood. Or he's a complete nob who just can't articulate anything worth a damn.

With him now grandstanding more about his wonderful immediate news conference I feel even more inclined that he has his mind made up that there is more punishment to come and his original statements aren't being manipulated so much as just reiterated.

What's your next genius move Roger, you going to sell pay per view for your May 13 news conference? Maybe you could work a deal with Comcast where if they get exclusive rights to carry your beheading of the great Satan they drop the case?

The guy has to go, period. He's going to kill us for sure and he's got a pretty good start on killing the league as well.

I agree. Frankly, I'm at least as worried about Goodell as I am about Walsh. This guy (Goodell) strkes me as a loose cannon. He's incredibly poor at being "quick on his feet." His original explanation regarding his punitive reaction to the videotaping on national TV was incredibly poor -stammering, stuttering and rambling. It's difficult to believe that someone with his lack of verbal skills was a successful attorney. He strikes me as the type who will be impulsively reactionary in response to whatever Walsh has without careful consideration of the ramifications. Like many others, he believes that overly forceful sanctions will lead the media to be satisfied that justice has been served and that we all need to move on. How did that work out for him last time?

Everyone was wondering what took walsh so long to come forward. My theory-he was working with spector,lawyers , ESPN and anyone to find more and more info to make himself saleable. In other words he was buying time to have the league consider himself seriously. What he has found , no one knows.

Whatever he's got, its not gonna be big, dont forget, Walsh has gone to the media already with this with, Easterbrook being one of them and no one thought what he had was news worthy. Easterbrook wouldnt miss a chance to bad mouth the Patriots so my guess its more defensive signals.
My guess is when Walsh showed the media people what he had no one thought the taping of d signals was a big deal, now that the whole spygate deals been out there more of the same isnt a big deal.

No one has ever even hinted at a theory that says Walsh did any investigative work. I find that utterly ridiculous & unfounded. he had no money or time to investigate...period. No way he'd find any financial support to help him such a cause "for years" as your post suggests. No one cared enough until last year.

So ANY information Walsh may reveal was something he has known since he was employed here. Walsh finding anything "after" he was fired would suggest he was vindictive to the point of absurdity.

Whatever he's got, its not gonna be big, dont forget, Walsh has gone to the media already with this with, Easterbrook being one of them and no one thought what he had was news worthy. Easterbrook wouldnt miss a chance to bad mouth the Patriots so my guess its more defensive signals.
My guess is when Walsh showed the media people what he had no one thought the taping of d signals was a big deal, now that the whole spygate deals been out there more of the same isnt a big deal.

Actually easterbook has kept hinting he is 'working' on finding more info.
Unless the new info they (mike fish and easterbrook) thought was that the pats have done since 2000 which the commissioner only revealed that the pats had admitted to late in jan/feb. So it could be and hope so that the fish was chasing the story that the pats have done this since 2000 unknowingly that BB had already told this to goodell.

I think you're on the money here. I also believe ESPN has built this up as much as they possibly could in a planned effort to influence Goodell to use ANY information as proof. In other words, ESPN wants Goodell to believe anything Walsh has to say.:rolleyes:

I agree with SVN. I am not feeling great about the meeting. Of course I would not be surprised if Walsh cancels the meeting due to new "demands". I am finding it hard to fathom why Walsh would actually go to the meeting if he has nothing. I think, either way, Kraft's lawyers are ready. I just want this over.

Also, on a side note. I happen to be enjoying reading the Indy fans posts on other boards regarding Marvin Harrison. But I would NEVER go to another teams board and post inflammatory remarks there. It is their board for their team. That is why FootballFanatic's posts irk me. I get you don't like my team. I get you don't like my coach. I get you don't like my state. But for someone who dislikes us so much you do seem to spend a lot of time here.

Can I get an AMEN?!!!:cool:

Mr Fanetic has made it clear that he will hunt for any news on the Walsh front & post it here in an effort to alleviate his deep & resentful issues regarding the Patriots. If the Bills were contending, he wouldn't even be here. But his team has been below 500 for way too long so he vents his frustrations with his lowly Bills on our board.

The Fanetic is indeed a sad man.

Last edited:
This guy (Goodell) strkes me as a loose cannon.
This WHOLE incident is Goodell's fault. All he had to say was :

"The Patriots engaged in an act of stealing signs which has been determined to be legal in the NFL. However they did it via a method that is not allowed. Therefore we will punish them by taking away a fourth round draft choice for violating a rule while conducting a legal operation."

Instead we have this mess. Goodell blows. The 4th round pick was chosen by me to make it a less severe punishment than the 49ers and Broncos got for salary cap violations which is much more severe as it puts additional or better players in the locker room and on the field.

Sorry, buddy, but believe it or not I have a life--sorry I didn't answer you in under an hour. No need to PM me or write multiple posts asking me to answer your question. Stalker anyone?

What do I hope will happen? Personally, as someone who really doesn't care for your team much, and who suspects that your coach and organization are capable of a lot worse than what they've been charged with so far, I'd like to see Walsh have some of what I suspect has really been going on at Gillette and I'd like to see that made public and, if that happens, your team and coached punished appropriately for that and, if there is a lot there, I'd like to see Kraft's and the other big market owner's lapdog Goodell go as well. Will that happen? We'll now see--something that many of you said would never happen just a couple short weeks ago.....

PS In terms of choosing to call a place "Godforsaken", just remember that I've lived in both Western NY and Boston and would take Western NY as a place to raise my family hands down. Today I actually live near a little place called New York City--maybe you've heard of it? Seems to have everything good old Beantown does, plus a lot more (including the current Super Bowl champs).

PSS I apologize to anyone other than PatriotsReign that I've offended--he's being a real homer jerk on this, including the private message he sent me on it this afternoon. Keep it civil and I'll do the same.

I believe this all boils down to a few facts.

Fact#1
It is perfectly legal and acceptable for teams to tape each others defensive signals, offensive signals, cheerleading routines and players picking their noses on the bench, per NFL rules, as long as it is done with a roof over your head and walls on either side of you, ie. from the press box, coaches box, luxury boxes, covered seating etc.. I also think it is considered acceptable from anywhere but the sidelines. Basically with todays camera technology you can tape it from anywhere including space and get a crystal clear view. Hell, it's even shown on national t.v. frequently during the game. You and I could see the signals from home or our seats in the stadium. Hell, Bellichick would have to cover his eyes to avoid seeing them. Stealing signs is not against the rules and taping them is not against the rules.... Taping them from the sidelines is.
Take as an example the story of how the Jets would tape the teams defensive/offensive etc. alignments at Gillette (and everywhere else they went). They did always ask permission and the pats always gave it to them. The only thing they asked them not to do was take it from the endzones (on field or behind the seating section) where the view would be best for them, and give them a better view of our alignments. Sound kind of familiar to the guidelines imposed on taping? The fact that taping from the NFL's restricted areas is o.k. UNLESS permission is given from the home team, suggests that this is not a serious rule, but more of a guideline. The Patriots always allowed it (within reason) and probably expected the same courtesy from other teams.
Of course the Jets were found taping in the endzones :rolleyes: so the pats asked them to leave. They did. Later the pats personel went back to the endzone area that the Jets were taping in and guess what they found?! Yup, thats right, the Jets were back in the same place that they were asked politely to leave....and once again, were asked politely to leave. Did the pats grab the guys cameras and turn them over to the league? No. They accepted that this is just what is done, and that it is in their own best interest to keep on their toes about it. The fact that it is at the home teams discretion to allow this leads me to realize that the pats game we were accused of taping "illegally" were all away games. Does this mean that when the Pats did it at home, it was not "cheating" but on the road it was? Which leads me to......

Fact #2
Every team employs similar or more extreme tactics to gather information
It is widely known (unless you are feeble minded and stick your fingers in your ears and hum everytime it is mentioned) that ALL teams use this method or similar methods to gain an advantage. From sneaking into teams hotel rooms to steal playbooks, or rent top floor rooms out in buildings surrounding teams practice fields, so they can spy. Several hall of fame coaches have joked and admitted to these things, including John Madden. Should they start stripping them of titles, fire them from their gigs on national t.v. or even change the name of the worlds biggest sports video game? Hell, even Lombardi....... the coach that the superbowl trophy is named after, is believed to be one of the best at gamesmanship tactics. Why do you think teams use multiple "dummy" signal callers or even have signals to begin with? Because they know people are watching and trying to figure out what they are going to do next. If this were the kind of sport or world people like you think it is, the coaches would just be yelling out the play or holding up signs with the play written on it in plain sight..... unfortunately it's not. Most teams (including the Pats) keep lip readers, people with photographic memories, professional code breakers and other people with similar abilities on their payroll, and in the stands with binoculars on game day. What is worse than taping hand signals you ask? KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT THE OTHER TEAM IS SAYING TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!! You had to realize that thats why coaches cover their mouths when they talk to players or call in plays. Obviously this is done in ALL games, not just ones against the Patriots!!!!! Even in baseball, pitchers and catchers cover their mouths when they meet at the mound. The last time I checked the Patriots don't play baseball, so that must mean that this is a pretty widespread practice.
Let me ask you this..... Have you ever watched the game and seen the coaches going over pictures of the teams previous plays with his players? Where do you think those came from? They were taken during THAT GAME by their personel. They were analyzed, printed, hole punched, stuck in a binder and rushed down to the coach (usually during halftime... if not sooner) so they can decipher the other teams plays. That is allowed and is on display for the whole world to see. Whats the difference between that and taping signals?!?!?

Fact #3 Bill Belichick broke the rules
This is different from the team breaking the rules, although the team and its fans were punished as well.

Whether he taped them from the sidelines because of a misinterpretation of the rule, because he knew the rule but knew they didn't enforce it from his years of experience, because he knew everybody else did and that he is dumb not to, because he is really stupid, because he is really smart, or if he just honestly wanted a better view and didn't think he would get caught.... he did do it in a manner which warrants some kind of penalty against him.
The penalty that was handed down however, was overly harsh and caused more problems than it solved.
I am sure you do not think so... as well as most fans of other teams. But that is just the kind of hate that is levied against teams that are on top, by teams and fans who are on the bottom or are not on top because we crushed them on our way up. Honestly, I have this kind of hate for the Yankees, so I understand it ;)

Fact #4
The Pats will continue to be attacked in one way or another, until we are replaced at the top by the next dominating team
Once that happens, fans (including Pats fans) will forget all about the Pats past deeds, and focus our attention and ire on this new team. Who knows, one day it could be the Bills, so be careful what you wish for and say about other people.

And the most important fact of all in this debate......

Fact #5
You, my good man, are a D!psh!t

You are obviously a naive, foolish little man, who from your previous statements make me suspect that you still believe in the Easter Bunny, that mutant turtles with martial arts ability live in New Yorks sewers, that your dad is the strongest man in the world, that your mother has no idea what fellatio is nonetheless ever performed it, and that both Darrens on Bewitched were the same guy.
You obviously suffer from the bitterness and inferiority complex that only 4 consecutive SuperBowl losses can induce in a fan. :rofl: I honestly feel bad for you. The fact that you have to troll a Patriots fan forum and rag on us clearly indicates that you think there is nothing of value going on with your team, and that you Mr. Golam, feel your energy is best spent obsessing over our team. You will never catch me setting up an account on another teams message boards and trying to get a rise out of their fans. I have better things to do with my home leisure time, like have constructive conversations and arguments with fans of my own team. Please follow suit and enjoy your team. They have been improving and I am impressed with how they endured last season. I will always route against them if they are opposing the Pats, but I feel no need to follow them home and taunt them (a metaphor for what you feel the need to do to us).

So, please go away and don't come back unless the Patriots appear in and lose the next 3 SuperBowls....... Which is not bloody likely :cool3:

Last edited:
it was a minor rules violation, but because BB was told not to do it before the season, Goodell decided to punish them badly because he prob took it as disrespect

You are wrong. The memo not to do this taping went out before the 2006 season not last season. Goodell was trying to impress the NY media that he was not a little man in big shoes.

No one has ever even hinted at a theory that says Walsh did any investigative work. I find that utterly ridiculous & unfounded. he had no money or time to investigate...period. No way he'd find any financial support to help him such a cause "for years" as your post suggests. No one cared enough until last year.

So ANY information Walsh may reveal was something he has known since he was employed here. Walsh finding anything "after" he was fired would suggest he was vindictive to the point of absurdity.

I didnt mean he did investigative work for the past 7 yrs.I meant him and his supporters namely ESPN, spector helped find stuff.sure he has no money but how did he find such a hot shot lawyer ? I strongly believe ESPN funded a lot of walsh's stuff since it makes for a big news and they are only ones who have been after this for such a long time.

Wow--I happen to have a disagreement in views with most of the folks on this board about Spygate and your team and have been honest about that. In fact, I was once banned here under another name for simply asking the question when the story first broke and Walsh said in the NYT that "there are things that no one has taken responsibility for yet", "is anyone here concerned about this"? That's literally pretty much all I wrote and I got banned. It was an honest question in that I wanted to see what people here thought, yet I was banned and shouted down in very short order, in some cases by folks who said all of this would come to nothing in short order--it still might come to nothing, but I think we can all agree that it's been no short order.

This story interests me, as it does indeed raise and potentially reinforce some of my pre-existing suspicions, so where better to discuss it than a Pats board? I've learned a few things from some of the posters here (VAPats comes to mind), since I don't believe, nor have I ever stated, that anyone here knows what the "truth" on this matter is and perhaps we'll never find out. While I'm no fan of your team or coach, after reading many of the posts here on this topic I still think I keep much more of an open mind on this than most posters here--you're fans of the Pats mainly so you're entitled to have those views certainly, but it's the absolute puritannical certainty of them in the face of contradictory evidence that I find odd. As some of you may note, I've gone on the record stating I think there's about a 70% chance that Walsh let his mouth overload his butt in talking to the press last winter and will have nothing new of interest, but I do think there's a 30% chance he has something you all won't be happy about in a week's time. For those of you saying it's a 0% chance, I just don't see how you can say that from where all of us sit.

To the gentleman above who hopes your team passes even more when they're up on us 48-0 next season, the fact that your team and coach already did similar things last year (that Washington game comes to mind--I actually don't blame you for the 56-10 butt kicking of us last year, as you did actually show some restraint in that one) is one reason why your team is pretty universally disliked outside its immediate fanbase and remember, what goes around comes around. When it does, I'll try to remain classy and not come here to rub it in (like I did by staying away after your SB loss), but posters like you make that a hard impulse to resist. And for all you folks who say that that's just natural, all dominant teams are universally hated, I'd have to disagree on that. Other than perhaps the Cowboys, I can't think of another dynasty (and yes, I'd say this Pats team qualifies as a dynasty) that created this reaction in other fans--did folks hate the '60s Packers or the '70s Steelers? I doubt the former and can vouch for a "no" on the latter, as I lived through that myself.

I don't come here to start fights, but as noted above, I enjoy talking football and I find this topic in particular to be interesting, figuring you all would most likely have the most up to date and informed views on this topic. It's too bad that there's no room at all here for an honest discussion of these points with people with an opposing view......

....try to remain classy ......

Now THAT's funny. I think most are getting really tired of you going on and on about what a great football fan you think you are. You come here and post **** and expect to be embraced as just a fan of football. Your BS is very transparent.

You do know there's a visitor's locker room for "fans" like you, right? :rolleyes:

when the story first broke and Walsh said in the NYT that "there are things that no one has taken responsibility for yet", "is anyone here concerned about this"?

No, Im not concerned, I think he has tapes of DC signals and when Goodell destroyed the tapes and said he destroyed all the tapes, I think Walsh knew that not to be true because he has some tapes, tapes that he stole. He also, like the rest of us didnt know that Goodell punished Belichick going all the way back to 2000.
He also said what he had would be embarassing to the Pats and the NFL, well, again its the tapes. He didnt know that Belichick had taken responsibility for what he did all the way back to 2000.

BB has been open and honest about this from the beginning, he did it right out in the open, no secret cameras or spying, which is why I find it funny that this has ben called "spygate".
I'll ask you again, just what do you think thats so nefarious thats going on in Foxborough?

Last edited:
I think Fanetic is either Masochistic or delusional. He spouts his anti Pats anti Belichick BS and expects real Pats fans to accept his reasoning or admit the errors of our ways and seek forgiveness. Give it up troll we don't give a crap about what you or people like you think and it will be same tomorrow. We don't go to Bills sites and and start knocking them.

See, FF, this is where I start to get irritated. "What goes around comes around". Are you freakin kidding me? When Peyton was trying to break the TD record, not ONE mediot got bent out of shape about him throwing TD's at will. And it's not like people didn't see what he was doing...he threw 6 on Thanksgiving against a crap Lions team, and all people talked about was how great it was to watch this special player be at his best. Then Tom Brady does the SAME THING, and people pile on.

Also, the Pats SUCKED for YEARS. And when they did luck into the Super Bowl, millions of people watched Mike Ditka run up the score on them and not a peep was made about it.

No one ever said to take out Peyton or someone might intentionally hurt him. No one ever said "Hey Indianapolis, what goes around comes around with all these TD's passes!"

Peyton is "the best that ever played" with a "high octane offense". Tom Brady is a "system QB" who did well because his coach "cheated". It is f*cking sickening.

You're right, what goes around does come around. This dynasty is payback for all the teams that looked at thier schedules for years and said "Well, you can write down that Patriots game as a win cause they are a joke."

Score away, boys. I want to hear air raid sirens when the Pats are playing. And finish the Godd@mn job this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe