PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going for it on 4th down was CORRECT...here's why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
......and if the Broncos went on to win the game,this thread would NEVER exist

Let's not kid ourselves,it was a gamble that failed twice against Manning,fortunately this one didn't bite us in the ass

And had they converted it, most of you wouldn't be so against it. Anyone can play the "what if" game. Except some of us are able to judge things correctly without letting the results completely cloud our judgement of reality.

Since I am see a lot of what if games being played here. So here is mine

What if Mesko punts and they guy returns is 60 yards and Denver has the ball at the Pats 30. Everyone here would be *****ing why didn't they go for it

BTW I liked the call just very poor execution

Last edited:
......and if the Broncos went on to win the game,this thread would NEVER exist

Let's not kid ourselves,it was a gamble that failed twice against Manning,fortunately this one didn't bite us in the ass

I said to my wife before the play that they should go for it. What the hell would have been gained by punting to Peyton in that situation?

If we all knew the results before hand, we all would be perfect. It was poor execution. They "bad play' didn't even have a chance to develop so we don't know what play was called.

And, a run in that situation would have been a bad play call.

Also, the 4th and 2 was a good call. But lets no get into it about Kevin actually making the 1st down.

Last edited:
When it's late in the game and you've got a lead that can be overcome, time is important. When time's important, field position is EXTREMELY important. The strategy on that entire drive was maddening. They should have been killing the clock and willing to punt. I love aggressive playcalling as much as anyone, but there's a difference between aggressive and stupid.

This is utter nonsense. You kill the clock by making first downs and holding the ball. This is the type of thinking that has allowed opposing teams to mount comebacks throughout the history of football, especially in this age of high completion percentages. The objective is to continue to hold the ball and score if possible.

I agree with the OP and disgree with those who say we should have punted.

But the OP left out the number one reason why. Punting is always a high risk. The percentage of punts returned for a TD is much higher than the percentage of offensive plays that results in a defensive TD.

Brady taking a knee would have been a smarter move than punting.

When it's late in the game and you've got a lead that can be overcome, time is important. When time's important, field position is EXTREMELY important. The strategy on that entire drive was maddening. They should have been killing the clock and willing to punt. I love aggressive playcalling as much as anyone, but there's a difference between aggressive and stupid.

Yes...field position is important. One thing is more important when you have the lead though...having the ball.

Even if we knew for sure we could pin them inside the 5 with a punt it's still the right move to go for it.

Most times a good coach plays the percentages. Sometimes rolls the dice. This situation was clear cut based on the game situation. Punt the frickin ball and play good D and cruise to win. BTW the 4th & 2 against Indy was a good call to roll the dice.

I always want to go for it against Manning. He can score quickly with his throws and PI calls, so I never question BB in such situations because I never want to punt against Manning. He knows BB's defense better than BB.

I have no problem with going for it on a down-distance and field position basis. But I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with that same situation when you have the time on the clock and the score on the board. Make them travel the whole field. They needed 3 scores.

And this nonsense about 'i dont know if mesko can angle his kick'
A. it is what he gets paid to do. - PUNT.

B. Mesko has angled kicks inside the 20 plenty (I seem to recall at one point he had the best pin inside 20 % in the league - maybe not at end of year but at a midway point of a season).

C. We also have a guy who I seem to recall did a pooch punt once. Just some guy who hardly sees the field named Brady.

So all in all I think it was a poor choice. Or at least if you are going to do that why not give it a hard count and try and get the 5 yds for free. That is what I thought they were doing - send TB to the line do a hard count then call the TO and punt if they dont fall for it. ... Then they went into shotgun formation. ugggh.

I said to my wife before the play that they should go for it. What the hell would have been gained by punting to Peyton in that situation?

If we all knew the results before hand, we all would be perfect. It was poor execution. They "bad play' didn't even have a chance to develop so we don't know what play was called.

And, a run in that situation would have been a bad play call.

Also, the 4th and 2 was a good call. But lets no get into it aboout Kevin actually making the 1st down.

My point is NO ONE makes this thread if the Pats lose the game......it's always easy to say it was the right call AFTER they win,very obvious.

Didn't Bill decide to punt the ball against the Ravens when the team had a 4th down and five just inside the Ravens 45 3 weeks ago?

He is not always without being a bit cautious

It was 4th and 14.

My point is NO ONE makes this thread if the Pats lose the game......it's always easy to say it was the right call AFTER they win,very obvious.

I was screaming that it was the right call a couple years ago.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

NFL Game Center: Denver Broncos at New England Patriots - 2012 Week 5

The Denver Broncos started the drive at the New England Patriots 43 yard line not the Denver Broncos 37 yard line.

If a New England Patriots punt resulted in a touchback, the difference in field position would have been 37 yards.

In hindsight.

Unfortunately coaches need to call plays without that benefit. In that case they need to go with the percentages. The risk reward of going for it, outweighs punting it by a large margin.

Unfortunately coaches need to call plays without that benefit. In that case they need to go with the percentages. The risk reward of going for it, outweighs punting it by a large margin.
I have a little more faith in this New England Patriots defense than you do.

Most times a good coach plays the percentages. Sometimes rolls the dice. This situation was clear cut based on the game situation. Punt the frickin ball and play good D and cruise to win. BTW the 4th & 2 against Indy was a good call to roll the dice.

Show me any proof that punting it is playing the percentages.

There are tons of articles out there showing how going for it is the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News