PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going by the players on the roster, is our defense ready for the 2012 season??

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is our defensive group ready for 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • No *state below*

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that maybe the Captain means that we should have traded the 7th round pick we got from Green Bay to Baltimore for Ed Reed, and a 2013 7th to Pittsburgh for Troy Polamalu. And Green Bay would probably have thrown Charles Woodson in to sweet the trade up to 62. Those moves would have probably had more impact than just Steven Gregory and Tavon Wilson.

I was thinking more along the lines of signing Richard Marshall as a Free Agent,
and drafting Trumaine Johnson at 59 (after trading 48 to GB for 59 & 123) and -
if you insist - Tavon Wilson in the 6th or 7th rounds.

Ahhh

He actually knows quite a bit more than you.

That's not to compliment Jack per se.

If brains were dynamite, I doubt you could blow your nose.

just wipe your chin after you're done with him.......

as if you know anything, either.....LOL

I said "yes" since I thought the question being addressed was whether the present personnel is sufficient for improvement in 2012. Obviously, we should expect improvement as the year progresses. As Belichick has said, we are "ready" late in the season.

That being said, I expect to see Belichick bring in camp competition at DL. We have little depth and are counting on Brace and Warren. We need insurance against injury (since there is little depth). Depending on injuries, we need help at other positions (Belichick is no working hard on adding TE's).

I would also like to sign Carter, even if he would start the season on the PUP list. The question is whether he has anything left after his injury.

BOTTOM LINE
We have lots of additions (see below for 11) and only a couple of significant losses. We don't them all to produce. We should see improvement in 3rd down efficiency and points scored. Yards allows matters little.

BACK FROM INJURIES
Barrett, Dowling, Pryor

FREE AGENT ADDITIONS
Scott, Fanene, Gregory

DRAFTEES
We hope to get significant 2012 production from at least a couple of our draftees: Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette, and Dennard.

I dunno, but the fact that captain_stone liked your post is enough to confirm the certitude of my position.

LOL.....confirm the certitude of your position......spoken like a true homer

Wilfork, Fanene, Deaderick, Warren, Love, Pryor, Brace

These are our seven. Clearly, we can/should? go with 6 DL's. I see nothing wrong with Brace as our 7th DL or 6th if Pryor or Warren are not able to play. However, we are rather thin. For those who want 7 DL's, we have no margin for error at all (no depth, no injury insurance).

I would not characterize the 6th or 7th DL's as key players. They would get few reps.

It is NOT at all essential to have a solid 25 players on defense to expect to be ready by midseason.

having to count on brace? you should change your answer to a 'no'

I said "yes" since I thought the question being addressed was whether the present personnel is sufficient for improvement in 2012. Obviously, we should expect improvement as the year progresses. As Belichick has said, we are "ready" late in the season.

That being said, I expect to see Belichick bring in camp competition at DL. We have little depth and are counting on Brace and Warren. We need insurance against injury (since there is little depth). Depending on injuries, we need help at other positions (Belichick is no working hard on adding TE's).

I would also like to sign Carter, even if he would start the season on the PUP list. The question is whether he has anything left after his injury.

BOTTOM LINE
We have lots of additions (see below for 11) and only a couple of significant losses. We don't them all to produce. We should see improvement in 3rd down efficiency and points scored. Yards allows matters little.

BACK FROM INJURIES
Barrett, Dowling, Pryor

FREE AGENT ADDITIONS
Scott, Fanene, Gregory

DRAFTEES
We hope to get significant 2012 production from at least a couple of our draftees: Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette, and Dennard.
Instead of signing and starting him on the PUP, why not just sign him when he is ready to play? much more flexible that way, we would not be set to a timetable.

Instead of signing and starting him on the PUP, why not just sign him when he is ready to play? much more flexible that way, we would not be set to a timetable.

I'm hoping that it's exactly the unwritten agreement that Bill & Carter have w/ each other.

Medical staff
Training staff
Team meetings
Team facilities

And perhaps he will sign with someone else.

I don't believe in illegal unwritten agreements. In any case, Carter is better than a speed-dial player. He will sign with someone as soon as one of several teams is convinced he be healthy this year.

There are advantages to the patriots of having Carter under contract and able to work with the team, even takes no reps.

Last edited:
And perhaps he will sign with someone else.

I don't believe in illegal unwritten agreements. In any case, Carter is better than a speed-dial player. He will sign with someone as soon as one of several teams is convinced he be healthy this year.

There are advantages to the patriots of having Carter under contract and able to work with the team, even takes no reps.

I'm not sure about the majority of posters here, but I will admit that the negativity inside me is starting to wonder if the team has decided to move on without his services this year?

I initially assumed that he would definitely have a high chance of returning for the 2012 season, but I am not feeling as confident at this point.

I'm not sure about the majority of posters here, but I will admit that the negativity inside me is starting to wonder if the team has decided to move on without his services this year?

I initially assumed that he would definitely have a high chance of returning for the 2012 season, but I am not feeling as confident at this point.

I don't think there is anything that could have happened yet to make you feel more confident.
He is not healthy enough to be able to pass a physical. They aren't going to sign him becase they really, really hope he will be healthy.
Frankly, I'm not counting on much, because with the nature and severity of that injury, his age, and the amount he relies on power from his legs to do what he does, I don't expect him to be anything more than a shadow of himself again in the NFL.
Sadly, while it may not be career ending, I think its at the least career changing and he will never be the same player again.

I fully expect more defensive signings before the start of the season, probably around when teams make their final cuts. I think we'll end up adding another heavy D-Lineman and a vet Safety. Not all-stars but probably guys the caliber of what Carter/Anderson were last year. Not saying we'll get the same type of performance...

Last edited:
I voted, "No." Gonna attempt a fair critique here.

--Personnel-wise, the DL is nothing special, and they've lost the two top performers they had last year in Anderson and A. Carter. Who fills those spots? NT is held down, but the second DT is at best a null VORP. They need to be solid to support/cover for the crappy DB and they aren't. Below Average and trending down.

--That defensive backfield was suspect last year, all year, and ultimately proved the Patriots' undoing. The CB are weak. Opposing QB drool at a lineup of McCourty, Arrington and Moore. In fact, they drool at facing the horrid trail technique the Pats employed last year. The S are out of position much of the time. Is McCourty an S or a CB or a slot CB? This area is weak both in personnel and coaching.

--OLB has Ninko and some stiffs. Fletcher is a JAG. Cunningham at the least requires some defense for his underwhelming play. M. Carter is developmental. Weak. (Anderson and A. Carter are grouped with the DL group.)

--ILB is solid, probably the best-manned position. Mayo and Spikes are stating to gel together, and Mayo is very solid across all packages.

--The Pats got very lucky to get into the Super Bowl and needed Schaub's injury and Cundiff's shank to get there. Their defensive style involves minimizing big plays and waiting for the opposing QB to throw a pick. This side of the ball needs to improve because that event chain is not going to happen again.

--The remedy will have to involve part personnel improvement and part coaching improvement. Many players were hurt last year and could return or improve via healing: McCourty, Chung, Dowling, A. Carter, Barrett, Brace. Draftees Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Dennard, and Bequette could be melded into the various units. The FA signings of Fanene, Gregory, Allen, Scott, and Carpenter represent an adequate group of mid-level players. However, the architect behind the poor S technique in the second-worst-rated defense (yards allowed) last year, Matt Patricia, has been promoted to DC, and his replacements seem inexperienced. Even with healthy/improved personnel, it's difficult to be sanguine about the defense.

I voted No, they are not ready. A LOT needs to be done to improve the unit as a whole. Yet, despite the negative tone of this post, I must admit I am excited to see how the personnel additions and changes improve the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3