PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get ready for two weeks of Ravens hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team the Ravens beat in January 2010 is half the team they'll face in 2 weeks. I welcome the Ravens with open arms, we'll kick their arse, I have no doubt in my mind.

Your'e Right the Ravens are the team to watch out for....... As much as I would like to hop on the Ravens bandwagon. They have struggled in both the passing and run game. Both sides of the ball. I picked the Ravens to win the SB this year. I have to admitt there is something about that team not to fear.

Bit early for this thread. I'm gonna have a good laugh if the Chiefs beat the Ravens.

You can't fly under the radar as the #1 seed....

The only people that fear the Ravens are people that haven't seen them play this year, cos they've under achieved all year. They are just going OMG THEY HAVE RAY RICE BOLDIN WHOSYOURMAMA HOW CAN U STOP THIS!??! Cam Cameron is an awful OC and Flacco is meh

Actually, the Ravens came in here without Ed Reed and lost in OT. Had they been able to win that game, they would have been the #1 seed in the AFC right now. The intention of this post is not to harp on that game back in October, but to point out that the Ravens just might be the second best team in the AFC.

Actually, the Ravens came in here without Ed Reed and lost in OT. Had they been able to win that game, they would have been the #1 seed in the AFC right now. The intention of this post is not to harp on that game back in October, but to point out that the Ravens just might be the second best team in the AFC.
You're aware that the Ravens are not the only team to have been affected by injuries or roster issues then?

An excellent point, although I am more confident in the Patriots in a potential rematch for the divisional round. The reason being that the first game against the Ravens was the first with a revamped offense following the Moss trade/bye. It took a few weeks for the Patriots offense to begin to hit its stride. And of course, the defense has been improving since then as well.

You're aware that the Ravens are not the only team to have been affected by injuries or roster issues then?

Right, you can scratch the Ed Reed comment then. They are still 1 OT loss to the Pats away from being the #1 seed.

Last edited:
Right, you can scratch the Ed Reed comment then. They are still 1 OT loss to the Pats away from being the #1 seed.
And the Steelers are one match away from being the #1 seed. It is what it is.

Last edited:
And the Steelers are one match away from being the #1 seed. It is what it is.

Except the Steelers were blown out in that one game you're talking about. The Ravens were very close to winning.

You are exactly right - it is what it is. Based on their body of work over the entire season, the Ravens are probably the 2nd best team in the AFC and possibly the entire NFL.

Except the Steelers were blown out in that one game you're talking about. The Ravens were very close to winning.

You are exactly right - it is what it is. Based on their body of work over the entire season, the Ravens are probably the 2nd best team in the AFC and possibly the entire NFL.

The Steelers beat them in Baltimore. The beat the Steelers without Big Ben, in fact the Steelers were stuck with Charlie Batch that week. How can you rate them ahead of the Steelers?

I know that you recognize the Patriots who played the Steelers were a far superior side to the Patriots who played the Ravens. The Ravens whist being a very good side don't instill the fear of God into me. The Pats are playing on a different level to everyone in the NFL atm. Let's hope we don't have any further immaculate games in a one and done from anyone.

The Steelers beat them in Baltimore. The beat the Steelers without Big Ben, in fact the Steelers were stuck with Charlie Batch that week. How can you rate them ahead of the Steelers?

That's just my opinion based on the teams' accomplishments in the regular season. The Steelers lost 3 games at home and should have lost to the Bills. The Ravens had an impressive win against the Saints, and played really well in Atlanta and New England - 2 of the toughest places to win.

However, I will say that Joe Flacco has not shown the ability to get it done under pressure and Rothlisberger has. So if you judge it on the QBs, give the nod to the Steelers. Either way, I think the Pats will need to beat both of them to get to the Superbowl.

Selective memory is not applicable. If you say 'if this one play happened they would be X', why wouldn't the opposite be just as applicable? If the following would have just happened:

1) Today they were one 4th and 1 Cincy play from the two yard line with 10 seconds to go from lowly Cincy beating them.
2) A month ago the Ravens were one OT play away from being beaten by the semi lowly Houston Texans (a game they probably should have lost).
3) 2 and a half months ago they were one OT play away from losing to the lowly Bills.
4) 3 and a half months ago they were one less Jet fumble near the red zone from possibly losing 12-10.

** IF the Patriots were the team they are today they would have beaten Baltimore easier (as they have been doing to many of the best the NFL has to offer).

The Ravens are exactly what they should be imho. There a tough football team whose defense is the strength of the team, with a reliance on their run game, a fair passing game, but have demonstrated weakness in the O and occasionally pass D that has made them susceptible to defeat or near defeat. Personally I think Pitt is slightly better though I fear them less because we own them for some reason.

The Patriots have demonstrated -- against many of the best that the NFL has to offer -- that giving Brady time means we will score A LOT and the threat of their run game is mostly done for the evening. Balt or even Pitt, Jets, KC will likely not keep up with our Offense if they don't get to Brady (look at how many times we have scored 34+ and how often those teams have scored 35 or more -- and against weak defenses the few times they have done it). Indy has the best chance to do that simply because of Manning.

Providing the Patriots don't beat themselves with TO's, stupid penalties and missed assignments (something we have done but not often), here is how it plays with Baltimore:
A) We give Brady time but can't stop their run (i.e. GB): We are slightly better than 50% to win. If they are really gashing us with their run we likely lose (i.e. Cleveland)
B) They get to Brady often (Jets Week 2): We will likely lose.
C) We give Brady time and we keep their run game respectably in check: We very likely win - and win easily (Chi, Pitt, Jets2, Miami, Buff2 and more).

1) Chances are very good we give Brady time against anyone. The OL has done a good job of it most all year.
2) Chances are decent to ok that we keep the run in check. We have done it more often than not. However, we have allowed running enough to have concerns about it. This is actually my single biggest concern going into the playoffs....

You can't fly under the radar as the #1 seed....

The only people that fear the Ravens are people that haven't seen them play this year, cos they've under achieved all year. They are just going OMG THEY HAVE RAY RICE BOLDIN WHOSYOURMAMA HOW CAN U STOP THIS!??! Cam Cameron is an awful OC and Flacco is meh

Were you sleeping in 2004 when Manning and company rolled into to Foxboro? :D

I am pretty used to the Ravens hype by now. The "talking heads" on tv have been hyping them since the preseason. Along with Suggs opening his mouth to anyone who cares. It would be funny to see the Chiefs win that game, but I think we would get more satisfaction out of seeing TB12 and the crew embarrass them at Gillette.

Selective memory is not applicable. If you say 'if this one play happened they would be X', why wouldn't the opposite be just as applicable? If the following would have just happened:

1) Today they were one 4th and 1 Cincy play from the two yard line with 10 seconds to go from lowly Cincy beating them.
2) A month ago the Ravens were one OT play away from being beaten by the semi lowly Houston Texans (a game they probably should have lost).
3) 2 and a half months ago they were one OT play away from losing to the lowly Bills.
4) 3 and a half months ago they were one less Jet fumble near the red zone from possibly losing 12-10.

** IF the Patriots were the team they are today they would have beaten Baltimore easier (as they have been doing to many of the best the NFL has to offer).

The Ravens are exactly what they should be imho. There a tough football team whose defense is the strength of the team, with a reliance on their run game, a fair passing game, but have demonstrated weakness in the O and occasionally pass D that has made them susceptible to defeat or near defeat. Personally I think Pitt is slightly better though I fear them less because we own them for some reason.

The Patriots have demonstrated -- against many of the best that the NFL has to offer -- that giving Brady time means we will score A LOT and the threat of their run game is mostly done for the evening. Balt or even Pitt, Jets, KC will likely not keep up with our Offense if they don't get to Brady (look at how many times we have scored 34+ and how often those teams have scored 35 or more -- and against weak defenses the few times they have done it). Indy has the best chance to do that simply because of Manning.

Providing the Patriots don't beat themselves with TO's, stupid penalties and missed assignments (something we have done but not often), here is how it plays with Baltimore:
A) We give Brady time but can't stop their run (i.e. GB): We are slightly better than 50% to win. If they are really gashing us with their run we likely lose (i.e. Cleveland)
B) They get to Brady often (Jets Week 2): We will likely lose.
C) We give Brady time and we keep their run game respectably in check: We very likely win - and win easily (Chi, Pitt, Jets2, Miami, Buff2 and more).

1) Chances are very good we give Brady time against anyone. The OL has done a good job of it most all year.
2) Chances are decent to ok that we keep the run in check. We have done it more often than not. However, we have allowed running enough to have concerns about it. This is actually my single biggest concern going into the playoffs....

My post has nothing to do with comparing the Pats to the Ravens. It's just about the fact that the Ravens deserve to be hyped. They are tied for the 2nd best record in the AFC and are quite possible better than the Steelers. Yet they are the 5th seed. Obviously, they are the most dangerous AFC team that'll be playing next weekend. And the same goes for the Saints in the NFC, IMO.

I predicted to my son as soon as the Ravens won against the Bengals that the Ravens hype would begin. They just squeaked by the Bungles and we're already hearing about how scary and "complete" they are. Gresh and Tanguay have started the hype on their postgame show.

The Ravens offense managed to score a whopping 13 points on the mighty Bungles. And their defense is not the defense it used to be, even with Ed Reed back. Had Palmer thrown that last pass accurately, the Ravens lose. The Ravens will be a tough out, for sure, but the Pats should hardly be scared about playing them. Last year's loss is ancient history They are the most hyped team in the league right now.

The Colts with Manning are scarier in my mind. Though if the Colts come here and it's snowing, Manning will likely struggle.

Agree with everything you've said here.
Carson Palmer has TWO receivers wide open in the zone with the game on the line and overthrew both of them. The "vaunted" Ravens D left 2 guys open in the zone with 10 seconds left in the game. Sorry but I don't fear the Ravens at all. Their D is old and wears down as the game goes on. The Patriots lost to them last year because the PATRIOTS played horribly. A soft team with locker room cancers lost to the Ravens last year. That team no longer exists in Foxborough. I fear a great throwing QB like Manning or Brees. The Ravens, Jets, Steelers et all don't scare me at all.

My post has nothing to do with comparing the Pats to the Ravens. It's just about the fact that the Ravens deserve to be hyped. They are tied for the 2nd best record in the AFC and are quite possible better than the Steelers. Yet they are the 5th seed. Obviously, they are the most dangerous AFC team that'll be playing next weekend. And the same goes for the Saints in the NFC, IMO.

Completely disagree. I think the Pats would/will destroy Baltimore if they play again. Manning & the Colts are the only viable threat to the Pats, in my opinion.

Here are the records for AFC playoff teams against teams with winning records:

7-1
3-4
2-4
1-2
4-3
2-4

One record stands out.

Also, the Raven hype is the result of Ray Ray's and T syphlis' big mouthes. It's also the Ed Reed hype.

Screw Ravens.

I hope Chiefs wipe the floor with them. I think if we play them this time around, it'll be a totally different game in the sense that our offense is much better since week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft