PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gerald McCoy: Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and provocative thought Toys.

I still don't understand why you think that if McCoy was released we'd never get him and NEED to trade for him. Do you think his price would go up in any bidding war following a release??? If we pick him up after a release we'd be free to structure any new contract in a way we could save some space in the early years of a deal.

BTW- you never got into what we'd have to give up to get him. I wouldn't want to give up that first round pick, but I'd be good with one of the 2nd's.

Here's a plan. With the 32nd pick we grab that top 10 talent DT who tore his ACL and would likely be a non- factor for the bulk of his rookie year. Then trade the Bear's pick to TB for McCoy. Now we'd have a dominant inside presence for the next 2 years, with the possibility of adding a second dominant presence on the cheap for the same time.

Now we, by the end of the season, we'd have 2 elite DT's to go along with a group of workmanlike DE's and LB's to go along with an elite secondary. That would likely turn out to be a very good overall defense

I think we have proven that outside pressure can be schemed. How often have we seen the Pats scheme away other team's "great" outside threats. But immediate inside pressure has the greatest impact on today's passing attack. I would love to get McCoy, but not at the expense of using that first pick for a young version of McCoy.

True, We all envisioned Brown to be "Wilforkesque". Didn't happen. I am leery of all 1 st rounders but there is a 17%-19% chance they will ve serviceable or better by year three. 50% chance they are on the roster. I think our early 3rd does it.

Remember we have him for three years and in 2020 , 2021 he might be a bargain. We could restructure on a 5 year (he'll be 36) to help, but at $13mm per year he is not unreasonable. Is Flowers worth $5mm more than McCoy?

If McCoy is cut, there will be a bidding war you read about, that is why the trade. No change he gets near Mass. He might get $15mm-$16mm from a Team like the Colts or Eagles.
I like your idea about the kid from Miss. State (top ten talent) Plus he's on the 5 year plan.

The Bucs have to Cut somebody. The have only a little over a million CAP.

One of my other Cousins suggested that I am trying to say this would be a cut of Hightower or DM. Wasn't thinking that way but here is a question I will be torched for.

Would you trade DM in order to pick up a younger McCoy. I won't use the word cut.

It was not my original thought but someone said I insinuated that.
DW Toys

I like the player but I don’t think we can go shopping at Bloomingdales when we can barely afford the Walmart clearance rack.
I thought we were shopping in the dumpster behind the Walmart.

l_a75a9780-6617-11e1-9198-b3cc76f00004.jpg

Belichick can wear his hoodie there.....
Lmfao

Wouldn't mind him, but I'd prefer Lavonte David. $9.75M & $10.75M cap hits. He's also 2 years younger. Of course, this would require some extensions or restructures to create room.

Building 19 changed its name to Chapter 11...

He's better than Suh but the Patriots don't appear to have a way to pay for him.

Wouldn't mind him, but I'd prefer Lavonte David. $9.75M & $10.75M cap hits. He's also 2 years younger. Of course, this would require some extensions or restructures to create room.
Maybe someone who knows better can chime in, but hypothetically, could the Pats simply restructure with a player like McCoy or L David to move more of their cap hit to next year/while lessening 2019's? Or is that not how it works...

Maybe someone who knows better can chime in, but hypothetically, could the Pats simply restructure with a player like McCoy or L David to move more of their cap hit to next year/while lessening 2019's? Or is that not how it works...

A guess, but I assume they'd have to do that after the player is signed - meaning they'd need to have cap space available to cover the current contract first.

I would rather stand pat and roll the dice on a exceptional defensive lineman filled draft. Trey Flowers was a 4th rounder who was coached up and with 12 picks I think we can draft 4 and hope 2 pan out. If we need line help later I would look to the trade deadline to deliver a stud that the draft didn't provide.

I like the player but I don’t think we can go shopping at Bloomingdales when we can barely afford the Walmart clearance rack.
Seems at the moment like we're more along the lines of digging through the slush pile at the Goodwill store.

You’re not getting enough cap room from restructures or even extensions with Hightower and McCourty, so call it what it is. It’s a cut/trade Hightower and McCourty thread.
The Pats absolutely do have the room to create 10 m plus cap space if they want to. They are currently having 89m of cap space next year. They have not done any major restructuring in two years. They also offered Humphries 10m plus per. They would create the cap space if he signed here.

My thoughts on McCoy are that he is one of the best DTs of his generation and for that reason we will never see him in a Pats uniform.

The Pats absolutely do have the room to create 10 m plus cap space if they want to. They are currently having 89m of cap space next year. They have not done any major restructuring in two years. They also offered Humphries 10m plus per. They would create the cap space if he signed here.
They can get to $13 million of cap space, but they also need to address kicker, players 52 and 53, any injury replacements, etc. Humphries has a $5 million cap hit for the Titans this year while still keeping his highest cap hit at $11.25 million. Restructuring McCoy down to a $5 million cap hit this year gives him $16.5 and $17 million cap hits the next two seasons. I don’t think those two contracts are comparable.

They can get to $13 million of cap space, but they also need to address kicker, players 52 and 53, any injury replacements, etc. Humphries has a $5 million cap hit for the Titans this year while still keeping his highest cap hit at $11.25 million. Restructuring McCoy down to a $5 million cap hit this year gives him $16.5 and $17 million cap hits the next two seasons. I don’t think those two contracts are comparable.
True. I was using Humphries as a example of how the Pats still have some wiggle room if they want to acquire some worthy and expensive item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back