PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Maroney Ready to Run Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
enough with coddling Maroney! Sure, run blocking is suspect at times but that doesn';t stop the other backs from getting positive yards. Maroney is a bust, people. It is what it is.

I hate to say it but I think he starts to dance on kick returns and when he hits the line because he is afraid to be hit when he is going full speed. Lets sit the baby on the bench and start BJGE. Taylor, Morris and Faulk can all find a hole. The homers want us to believe those same holes are not there for Maroney. Enough is enough.

I think I've reached the point with LoMo too. Not saying hes worthless, but he skills just may not be a match for what the system calls for in the running game.

I do like him catching the ball in the open field. Maybe he'll evolve into a Larry Centers-type?

I hate to say it but I think he starts to dance on kick returns and when he hits the line because he is afraid to be hit when he is going full speed. Lets sit the baby on the bench and start BJGE. Taylor, Morris and Faulk can all find a hole. The homers want us to believe those same holes are not there for Maroney. Enough is enough.

I've been on Maroney's side until this game. Now, I'm nominating him for Dancing With The Stars. Who returns a kickoff and then STOPS. Not one time, but twice. Enough.

I think I've reached the point with LoMo too. Not saying hes worthless, but he skills just may not be a match for what the system calls for in the running game.

I do like him catching the ball in the open field. Maybe he'll evolve into a Larry Centers-type?

I'm not sure, probably he is the next Reggie Bush :bricks:

I think the problem is that fans naturally want every skill position player to be a complete stud, so they hold everyone to that standard. Maroney is just a mediocre RB, nothing more, nothing less.

Maroney had a terrible game yeah. That said, he's still going to see alot of action IMO. Too much big play potential, not ready to give up on him.

That being said, he is at best the 4th best pure runner on the team right now. Not that it's a horrible thing because the top 3 have been running very well recently.

There was precisely ONE time today that Maroney danced unnecessarily. One.

Wrong.

His first carry of the game, he went straight to the left and never made a cut. Two yard loss.

He went straight to the sideline.

He did it with style, though.

Honestly, the kid has talent. He does need a sports psychologist to get him to not think so much and HIT the line with authority.

I have a feeling that maroney is "Gonezo" after this game .BB knows better than me for sure , so wait and see . :)

Last edited:
I get that the Maroney bashing has been annoying and obsessive, but I don't understand why there's this handful of people trying to convince everyone that what they're seeing is somehow untrue or consistently deceptive. Maroney dances, period. Even when he doesn't get blocking, which happens often, he ends up turning what should be a 2 yard gain into a loss. He seems to cut off at least five yards on every kick return by slowing down and trying to side step everyone instead of just crashing into the pile and maintaining momentum. He is good in the open field, but he doesn't have that stop and start quickness that his style of running is conducive to, and while he's not the worst player ever it makes him very frustrating to watch.

I have a feeling that maroney is "Gonezo" after this game .BB knows better than me for sure , so wait and see . :)

Seriously, he is not getting cut. They need to find a way to get him the ball in space. He is not a feture back but his style can be used to exploit certain style of D in the NFL. For example an undersized quick front. He has look good in cutback lanes more decisive than in the past. I don't think Balt. front does anybody any favors.

ill ignore the running in this game...

but at kick returns this is the worst ive ever seen maroney do.....and we all know from the patst that maroney knows how to return kicks....

eitehr our blocking was extremely bad, or something changed

on KO returns u DONT STOP, u start running upfield and only cut much later on....

maroney knows this cuz hes done it b4....i dont know whats changed....

I was thinking the same thing. On the one play that we got him involved in the passing game, he was very dangerous in open space. The problem is that we don't often get him the ball in open space. Then again, why change the entire offensive scheme for one under achieving player.

Wrong.

His first carry of the game, he went straight to the left and never made a cut. Two yard loss.

He went straight to the sideline.

He did it with style, though.

Honestly, the kid has talent. He does need a sports psychologist to get him to not think so much and HIT the line with authority.

When you run a stretch play and the defense stretches it out, you lose yardage. That's what happens. It happened to either Taylor or Morris later in the game, they just got caught before they even got to the sideline.

Seriously, he is not getting cut. They need to find a way to get him the ball in space. He is not a feture back but his style can be used to exploit certain style of D in the NFL. For example an undersized quick front. He has look good in cutback lanes more decisive than in the past. I don't think Balt. front does anybody any favors.

I was surprised at the "booing" Maroney received today at home. Even the announcers pointed it out on CBS. I know he has not lived up to expectations, but booing our own players at home, for me, goes too far.

Last edited:

not a chance, Reggie is at least dangerous on KOs and in the passing game.....I think Bush is WAY over rated, and I'd rather him than laurence

There is no way he is being cut because the kid has talent, it shows on a few plays. It has to be some sort of a mental thing with him as to why it isnt consistant. As for kickoffs we would probably be seeing Welker if he was healthy.

I was surprised at the "booing" Maroney received today at home. Even the announcers pointed it out on CBS. I know he has not lived up to expectations, but booing our own players at home, for me, goes too far.

In fairness to the fans who booed. Maybe they were Booing Belichick for putting him in the game when he has several better options.

Slap a WR number on the kid and we might have a nice little trick player.

But are we really satisfied having a trick player that cost a first rounder?

enough with coddling Maroney! Sure, run blocking is suspect at times but that doesn';t stop the other backs from getting positive yards. Maroney is a bust, people. It is what it is.

The truth will set you free.

Maroney is a Bust.

Morris can run behind this OL. Taylor can run behind this OL. BJGE. But, for some unexplained reason the NE OL doesnt block for old soft shoe Lawrence Maroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft