PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Maroney Ready to Run Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the Maroney defenders (and I have been one), take another look at the title of this thread and ask yourself if Maroney lived up to that this week.

He's sticking on the team this year, partly because of his potential, partly because the two starting RBs are past 30. Still, I can't help but think that he would excel in another system. Another reader brought up the fact that the OL doesn't seem to block well for him, but why is that? (I'm not asking to make a point; I'm asking because I don't know.)

Seven carries, six yards. That's about 0.9 yards more per carry than I gained from my couch. I hope for his sake (and frankly, mine) that he has one breakout game to keep us doubters at bay. But if not, I'd like to see him get a shot with a team next year that suits his running style.

Look at the OL play throughout the game and see how often Maroney (AND Morris AND Taylor AND Faulk) faced defenders in the backfield and FAST. I still think LoMar can get it done.

He looks consistently indecisive to me, thus the "dancing" rep. Even in space, he lacks the elusiveness of slower backs like BJGE. He is the starter at the moment, but I think we may have seen the last of that. If we can find a KO returner, then I look for him to slide down and possibly off the active roster.

Look at the OL play throughout the game and see how often Maroney (AND Morris AND Taylor AND Faulk) faced defenders in the backfield and FAST. I still think LoMar can get it done.

We ran for a whopping 85 yards and the natives are acting like everyone but Maroney lit it up. The averages say otherwise. Faulk and Morris each had runs for a loss, too. And if not for another OL holding call away from the play Maroney would have had 46 yards in receptions...which is right around what Welker and Moss each had on the day.

We ran for a whopping 85 yards and the natives are acting like everyone but Maroney lit it up. The averages say otherwise. Faulk and Morris each had runs for a loss, too. And if not for another OL holding call away from the play Maroney would have had 46 yards in receptions...which is right around what Welker and Moss each had on the day.

85 is pretty good vs. a defense allowing only 51 ypg on average.

Okay, Maroney's a solid receiver out of the backfield. Is that his position? Can you understand the frustration with Maroney?

I'm not asking to be a jerk. I really want to figure out how best to utilize him, because he has yet to show (since late 2007) the potential we've all been waiting for.

For all the Maroney defenders (and I have been one), take another look at the title of this thread and ask yourself if Maroney lived up to that this week.

He's sticking on the team this year, partly because of his potential, partly because the two starting RBs are past 30. Still, I can't help but think that he would excel in another system. Another reader brought up the fact that the OL doesn't seem to block well for him, but why is that? (I'm not asking to make a point; I'm asking because I don't know.)

Seven carries, six yards. That's about 0.9 yards more per carry than I gained from my couch. I hope for his sake (and frankly, mine) that he has one breakout game to keep us doubters at bay. But if not, I'd like to see him get a shot with a team next year that suits his running style.

I don't care where he goes or how well he does (my money is on him not doing well) as long as it is NOT with the New England Patriots. I am done with this useless waste of alleged talent. I hope the Patriots are done with him too after this season.

I do laugh as the people that suggest trading him. For what? A bag of donuts? He's a first round pick that MAY get you what? A 7th? No one is trading for the dancing noodle.

85 is pretty good vs. a defense allowing only 51 ypg on average.

Okay, Maroney's a solid receiver out of the backfield. Is that his position? Can you understand the frustration with Maroney?

I'm not asking to be a jerk. I really want to figure out how best to utilize him, because he has yet to show (since late 2007) the potential we've all been waiting for.

Belichick had a plan in mind. It didn't work because he could not adapt this OL to zone block the way he long admired Denver doing. He knows that the harder a RB works for his own yards the shorter his career and the more time spent on injury lists. He wanted the home run talent in the open field. Not the player Dillon became after one hardfought 1600 yard season. The guy with no speed left who could be chased down from behind when he did break free by any defender with half decent speed. Everyone got hurt in the process.

Maroney isn't a great fit for this OL. But this OL is aging out and initial replacements are already in the pipeline. They look a little different than the small, smart and quick technicians the league has in some ways caught up with. Maroney is only 24. And oddly despite all the wailing from the fan base Maroney has started 3 of the first 4. And before yesterday he was averaging the same solid 4 per as the others.

And don't forget since late 2007 when he did carry the load after Morris was lost for most of a season due to injury, he also lost most of a season due to injury. Taylor got dinged averaging 3 yards a carry yesterday and that is what BB wanted to avoid after 2005. Reliance on the guy who moves the pile and makes his own holes succombing to the effects of that grinding it out approach.

Through it all this OL has remained the lone constant (and an inconsistent one at that). Nobody runs well behind them for long. But perhaps with a couple of bigger youngsters in the pipeline and 4 more 2nds and a first and two firsts already in 2011 and some talent in the secondary and some solid young DL and LB emerging we will finally assemble OL the team has long deserved, the one that wins it's own battles in the trenches so the RB and TE as well as WR can fully benefit from the existence of a HOF QB as opposed to blocking and chipping. And Maroney did block well yesterday if you notice that kind of thing (and Bill likely does...).

Bill finally said last week that the OL executed better against Atlanta than they had in the first two games and as a result there were more holes for the RB's. Of course they were facing an easier task and Maroney didn't get to reap the rewards in the second half because they sat him after his thigh injury. But just the same, he acknowledged they are complicit when the running game here disappoints. Why fans can't grasp that is beyond me. They alternately want to lambaste Light and Kaczur and even Koppen, until it comes time to acknowledge the overall effect their performance has on a RB or QB...

There were a couple of holes yesterday, but not on Maroney's shift. And not consistently. Morris and Faulk both got dropped behind the LOS too.

Dale just made me chuckle as he observed that the EHIII haters in his section were lamenting his loss yesterday. It's just the nature of the beast here, because winning has spawned a spoiled and even meanspirited kneejerk fanbase. We won't be trading Maroney any more than Ian will trade some of the worthless posters here to some other unfortunate board.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of Maroney. But I will say that I was disappointed in how he was booed yesterday at the Razor.

Make all the excuses you want for Maroney. Youre only deluding yourself from the truth.

Its clear who the RB playmakers on this offense are and Maroney isnt one of them. Morris and Faulk just continue to come up big in the clutch. Taylor is playing very well. Yes, Maroney had a nice pass play negated by penalty, but even still he was very tentative at the end of the play on which way he wanted to run.

Its time to face the music. Maroney is the worst 1st round pick for NE yet.

BTW, Maroney 5 carries for 5 yards = BUST

Last edited:
Make all the excuses you want for Maroney. Youre only deluding yourself from the truth.

Its clear who the RB playmakers on this offense are and Maroney isnt one of them. Morris and Faulk just continue to come up big in the clutch. Taylor is playing very well. Yes, Maroney had a nice pass play negated by penalty, but even still he was very tentative at the end of the play on which way he wanted to run.

Its time to face the music. Maroney is the worst 1st round pick for NE yet.

BTW, Maroney 5 carries for 5 yards = BUST

I agree that Maroney has come up short in meeting BB's expectations but he had been productive in 06 and 07, but worst 1st round pick yet?? Of what era? BB era? Jankovich era? Pats have had many bad 1st rd picks. Eugene "Cow Dung' Chung is #1 IMO.

Last edited:
It seemed like Sammy Morris got a first down or touchdown almost everytime he touched the ball. Who cares what the final statistics were?

Last edited:
The Pats run blocking flat out sucks right now. In addition, it's hard for any RB to get into a rhythm when he gets 1 carry per drive (if that). Also, it difficult for RB's to accelerate though the hole when your in shotgun. Yesterday, most of their runs came from shotgun. Shotgun runs work best in short yardage situations, but not on 1st down.

In the end, I don't expect any RB in the NFL to do much with 5 carries.

Last edited:
Belichick had a plan in mind. It didn't work because he could not adapt this OL to zone block the way he long admired Denver doing. He knows that the harder a RB works for his own yards the shorter his career and the more time spent on injury lists. He wanted the home run talent in the open field. Not the player Dillon became after one hardfought 1600 yard season. The guy with no speed left who could be chased down from behind when he did break free by any defender with half decent speed. Everyone got hurt in the process.

Maroney isn't a great fit for this OL. But this OL is aging out and initial replacements are already in the pipeline. They look a little different than the small, smart and quick technicians the league has in some ways caught up with. Maroney is only 24. And oddly despite all the wailing from the fan base Maroney has started 3 of the first 4. And before yesterday he was averaging the same solid 4 per as the others.

And don't forget since late 2007 when he did carry the load after Morris was lost for most of a season due to injury, he also lost most of a season due to injury. Taylor got dinged averaging 3 yards a carry yesterday and that is what BB wanted to avoid after 2005. Reliance on the guy who moves the pile and makes his own holes succombing to the effects of that grinding it out approach.

Through it all this OL has remained the lone constant (and an inconsistent one at that). Nobody runs well behind them for long. But perhaps with a couple of bigger youngsters in the pipeline and 4 more 2nds and a first and two firsts already in 2011 and some talent in the secondary and some solid young DL and LB emerging we will finally assemble OL the team has long deserved, the one that wins it's own battles in the trenches so the RB and TE as well as WR can fully benefit from the existence of a HOF QB as opposed to blocking and chipping. And Maroney did block well yesterday if you notice that kind of thing (and Bill likely does...).

Bill finally said last week that the OL executed better against Atlanta than they had in the first two games and as a result there were more holes for the RB's. Of course they were facing an easier task and Maroney didn't get to reap the rewards in the second half because they sat him after his thigh injury. But just the same, he acknowledged they are complicit when the running game here disappoints. Why fans can't grasp that is beyond me. They alternately want to lambaste Light and Kaczur and even Koppen, until it comes time to acknowledge the overall effect their performance has on a RB or QB...

There were a couple of holes yesterday, but not on Maroney's shift. And not consistently. Morris and Faulk both got dropped behind the LOS too.

Dale just made me chuckle as he observed that the EHIII haters in his section were lamenting his loss yesterday. It's just the nature of the beast here, because winning has spawned a spoiled and even meanspirited kneejerk fanbase. We won't be trading Maroney any more than Ian will trade some of the worthless posters here to some other unfortunate board.

Some of us don't like Maroney so we are "worthless posters"

Maybe you should buy the board from Ian. That way you and the other 3 - 5 homers who are blind can have the place to yourselves.

Or better yet, because you think so much of yourself and so little of others maybe you should get a job writing for the Herald. That way when you call an entire fan base "kneejerk" and "worthless" you will fit right in.

Not sure who needs to go more, you or Maroney.

The Pats run blocking flat out sucks right now. In addition, it's hard for any RB to get into a rhythm when he gets 1 carry per drive (if that). Also, it difficult for RB's to accelerate though the hole when your in shotgun. Yesterday, most of their runs came from shotgun. Shotgun runs work best in short yardage situations, but not on 1st down.

In the end, I don't expect any RB in the NFL to do much with 5 carries.

Three Patriots RB's had 3+ ypc averages.

One had .9

Look, after several weeks and years, the pattern has to mean SOMETHING.

Is Maroney a great physical specimen with excellent speed and terrific potential?

Yes.

Will he really bust it open one of these weeks?

Yes.

Is he a consistent weapon?

Nope.

Could he use some sports psychologist's help to hit the line of scrimmage?

Yes.

As a former College FB, I do think running out of the shotgun is a different challenge then running out of the I, but at the same time, most are taught to accelerate and make one cut. It is nearly impossible to accelerate when are are dancing.

I think we should use Maroney as a receiver or check down options until the opposing defenses take the safeties out of the box when Maroney is in the game.

Last edited:
BTW, argue as much as you want, but the person who is most aware of the situation is Maroney HIMSELF. Just read the Gasper article that is the point of this thread.

Obviously, it is in his mind. It is a psyche thing - - like Knoblauch misthrows from second base.

Remember: The OP made the comment "This sounds like a guy who gets it" based on the straightforward remarks by Maroney in that article. I fully agree with the OP - - Maroney was SAYING exactly what most of us are saying - - He had to not be afraid to attack the line and carry a few defenders. Maroney even EXPLICITLY mentioned "north-south, versus east-west". He AGREES with the criticism.

So, he KNOWS the problem yet he still ran to avoid contact.

That's not a "performance" issue. It's a mind issue.

Last edited:
Maroney sucks,has sucked and will suck as long as he dances in the backfield and remains inconsistent and unreliable...Even the announcers were mentioning the dancing and says he won't get anywhere with the ballet behind the LOS

I have heard excuses about the OL blocking and other BS but it seems Taylor,Faulk and Morris have not nearly as many problems running behind with this SAME OL but Maroney struggles????...hmmmmm

Maroney was a college star who might have gotten away with these moves in those days but the NFL is bigger,faster and better and he has not made the grade.

Lets admit it,Belichick and Pioli had Brain Farts when they picked Maroney over Jones-Drew,Hell even Addai is more reliable when he is healthy.

Maroney is GONE after this season unless he transforms suddenly to show any worthyness this season to keep him around..book it.

Last edited:
His problems are instinctual which is next to impossible to "break" him of. I'd bet if you went back and looked at his mom's video tapes from his pop warner days he ran the exact same way.

Because of that he's not an every down back on Sundays (there aren't many of those around anyway, Adrian Peterson, MJD, etc.) but he still has a chance to be a very successful 3rd down back where you get him and space and let him make something happen.

Can we take 2007 off the table, please? Maroney averaged 4.5 ypc which is exactly equal to what Morris averaged. That year featured the greatest passing attack in NFL history, so it's understandable that opposing defenses might have focused on stopping that rather than putting 8 in the box.

Also, saying that Corey Dillon got worn out by his one 1,600-yard season in NE is a little disingenuous considering a) he turned 30 that year and b) he spent the previous seven seasons carrying the Bengals on his back. Saying that one season in particular did him in is like saying you always find things in the last place you look.

Amazing how Maroney causes such polarization. We're all together in that we are all waiting for him to be consistently worthy of number one draft status. No injuries, no schemes, no excuses.

Some of us are just tired of waiting.

Don't you guys get it? Your eyes are simply lying to you, Maroney is Jim Brown out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing