PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo taking leadership role with rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear he's serious about learning the playbook. It's not that easy, though, as we've heard players attest to time and time again. He needs to also be able to read the defense and be able to adjust accordingly on the fly while still being on the same page as his receivers. Luckily, he should have a few years to get that down.

I would expect nothing less from my second round draft pick third string QB.

He is the highest draft pick of any QB on the roster after all.

Yo ... Ryan ... you paying attention?

I love hearing this news about JimmyG. That's a real good sign. I remember Brady also asserted himself his rookie season. Always believed in himself and just showed up ready to work. JG seems to have that work ethic and "I'm gonna make myself into a pro" mentality. Hoping the best for this youngster!

"New employee shows up keen and eager in first week at work." Good news but, you know, not THAT big a surprise ...

Good to hear he's serious about learning the playbook. It's not that easy, though, as we've heard players attest to time and time again. He needs to also be able to read the defense and be able to adjust accordingly on the fly while still being on the same page as his receivers. Luckily, he should have a few years to get that down.

Im not gonna say its easy, but those players WHO's gonna be around JG getting a bonus teacher, when learning the playbook. Agree on the game stuff ( reads and adjusting ) can only be done ingame, but they might get a inside track, to understand whats happens inside the head of the QB.

I wonder how much advice he has gotten from Brady and whether this is a direct result of it.

It's nice to hear that Garo is taking on the role and the extra work. After all, rookie or not, it's a QBs job to be in a leadership role. IMO it's even better to hear about the other rookies are making sure "no one's missing, no one's late. Being professional" because they don't want to make his job harder or let anyone down.

That whole being accountable to each other and everybody working to help out each other and the leaders is a big part of the Patriot Way. :)

I would expect nothing less from my second round draft pick third string QB.

He is the highest draft pick of any QB on the roster after all.

I expect it from every player drafted at any position. Garoppolo is no different.

I like the quizzing other rookies out of the blue part, that will keep them studying the playbook - who wants to be caught out and made to look a bit silly in front of peers?

As everyone has pointed out--this is a very good sign. Leadership, strong work ethic, initiative, drive, and confidence are all positive traits that are necessary at the position of QB.

As noted, Yes--this is somewhat expected. No, this does not always happen, however.

If Belichick is right with his assessment of JG being highly intelligent (plus FBI=football intelligence as well), these traits mesh quite nicely with his quick release and shifty feet. It's possible that the weaknesses can be coached up, and these kinds of skillset examples will carry over to higher competition.

How do you know he doesn't try just as hard? Just a random shot at someone based off of assumption?

One of the myths about athletes is that their ability to have a certain attitude is just a choice, just the product of making a decision to be that way and then trying hard.

The reality is that attitude, effort, and mindset in athletes starts with the brain chemistry they were born with, which is then shaped by the experiences they have in life. This is what determines whether they will have "the attitude of a leader."

Kudos to the Pats for sniffing this out in JG; it is a rare quality and very worthwhile prioritizing when selecting QB's.

I wonder how much advice he has gotten from Brady and whether this is a direct result of it.

I would doubt it. At this point the rookies and veterans have been kept separate (at least until this week). IIRC, Garo had only one brief phone conversation with Brady welcoming him.

While it's a good sign that Garo has his nose in the playbook and is springing quizzes on everyone, that's still pretty much what is expected of everyone, although I don't recall Mallett doing the same when he first came here.

Of course it still remains to be seen if he can translate this onto the field, especially at NFL speed.

Last edited:
JG is going to get that parking spot from BB that Brady stopped caring about years ago.

Probably zero. He's too busy with the wife traveling around the world and letting her dress him up like a Ken doll. :)

Probably zero. He's too busy with the wife traveling around the world and letting her dress him up like a Ken doll. :)

Ken didn't wear those pants and that shirt and that hair... that awful, awful, hair. LOL

1399307679_tom-brady-gisele-bundchen-467.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back