PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Who really gives a crap edition, it is only preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder has not been the weakest link on the OL the last two years (that's been Wendell), but he's been far from "excellent". His functional strength could really stand to improve.

As I stated. "he has PLAYED FINE to excellent" I never said HE was excellent and I never said he ALWAYS plays excellent.

My thoughts are the same as everyone else for the most part.

Solder/Ryan were the key players that stood out in a bad way. Not overly concerned. Ryan had a bad game but has looked good overall this camp. Solder always has trouble with top DEs. Just need to work around it.

I like how the new guys Lafell/Browner looked.

On DE Smith did little to help his case to make this team. I so no difference between his ability and other guys. In fact he looked worse than a few.

Mallet is not worth carrying.
Not impressed with Will Smith whatsoever. Ditto James Anderson.

That's why I don't think that they should deviate from what the Seahawks were doing. Dare the refs to slow the game to a snail's pace. If they do, it's only a matter of time before fans reign down Hell on Goodell's office and it's changed. If they don't, defenses will be allowed to play.

I think we need a post on how to do this.. ie rain down Hell on Goodell's office (phone numbers, emails, fax's etc).

As I stated. "he has PLAYED FINE to excellent" I never said HE was excellent and I never said he ALWAYS plays excellent.
You must have misunderstood me. I can't recall a game where he's played excellent. Seems to me that he consistently needed assistance from a TE to pick the opposing DE/OLB at the LOS. He mainly struggles against bull rushes and the reason for that is because of his less than ideal (for a LT) functional strength. He's pretty much the opposite of Light. Where Light struggled against elite speed rushers, Solder handles his own with them. Where Light could handle his own against a bull rush, Solder struggles with them.

Solder has not been the weakest link on the OL the last two years (that's been Wendell), but he's been far from "excellent". His functional strength could really stand to improve.

Problem is that playing "fine" with Brady's age and mobility at the left tackle spot isn't good enough. Solder needs to excel at that position.

Problem is that playing "fine" with Brady's age and mobility at the left tackle spot isn't good enough. Solder needs to excel at that position.

I'm not disagreeing.

Butler played well last night. The couple of passes he let up were damn near perfect throws by the QB. I liked how he played through the whistle on every play, though it led to the Personal foul penalty.

Kanorris Davis played well on Special Teams.

Beauharnais was lackluster to say the least. Wasn't impressed by him. Blew a bunch of zone coverages and individual coverages.

Things got a bit confusing with several players wearing the same number (Butler/Finch both wearing 29). Not sure if it was Butler or Finch whom BB was walking away from after talking to him.. BB had a smile on though.. It was immediately after the Finch fumble that got erased by the penalty flag.

Zach Moore, Darius Fleming and Michael Buchanon all stood out. They should flashes.

Was interesting to see a lot of 3-4 out of the Pats last night.. Could just have been because of Jones going down, but it was interesting.

Forston isn't long for this team.

Thanks for noticing the little things. Last night, Davis looked like the 10th DB on the roster - the guy who makes the team and has half the board complaining, because they don't appreciate ST play as much as the head coach.

BB was talking to Butler. Finch was back out on the field getting another shot at returning a kick. I'll hold Roche harmless for confusing two guys wearing the same number.

Moore, Flemin, and Buchanan all showed flashes of incompetence to go with their flashes of effectiveness, unfortunately. Buchanan and Moore lost the edge on multiple runs, and Fleming (like Beauharnais) got sucked in by play action too often. The failures of the Pats D last night looked an awful lot like they did last year. I'm going to be optimistic and say that it is because we were short-staffed last night even worse than last year.

Forston was falling all over himself last night. It was his spastic lunge getting helped along by a Washington lineman's block that took out Chris Jones, and this was right after getting turned around after losing his gap on the previous running play. He's had ample time to learn how to correct this. Even with two competitors out hurt, he's not playing himself into a role on the team.

You must have misunderstood me. I can't recall a game where he's played excellent. Seems to me that he consistently needed assistance from a TE to pick the opposing DE/OLB at the LOS. He mainly struggles against bull rushes and the reason for that is because of his less than ideal (for a LT) functional strength. He's pretty much the opposite of Light. Where Light struggled against elite speed rushers, Solder handles his own with them. Where Light could handle his own against a bull rush, Solder struggles with them.

In 2013 Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries and that was sixth-best of left Tackles with 500 snaps or more. He pass blocked 647 times and gave up just 35 quarterback disruptions. That is 5.4 % which is excellent

His rookie year - 13 starts 880 snaps and allowed only 3 sacks and 4 pressures. And only 5 penalties. Again, his rookie year.

2012 he pretty much played the whole season and all snaps. He allowed 4 sacks and 10 QB hits

I dont know. With those kind of stats he has probably played an excellent game or two somewhere.

http://firststopfantasy.com/articles/fsf-top-100-players-75-nate-solder/

Last edited:
I'll give Mallett a mulligan at this point, but not for long. He hasn't faced live fire in a long time. Even JimmyG was facing a rush all last season. Mallet hasn't gotten a sniff of action since last August. He looked uncomfortable with the sea of bodies swirling around him and rushed his throws. The line didn't help either. Let's see what some more lively practices with Philly does to focus them. I'll give it another week before jumping off a bridge on account of the backups not being ready to lead the Pats to the Superbowl yet.

In 2013 Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries and that was sixth-best of left Tackles with 500 snaps or more. He pass blocked 647 times and gave up just 35 quarterback disruptions. That is 5.4 % which is excellent

His rookie year - 13 starts 880 snaps and allowed only 3 sacks and 4 pressures. And only 5 penalties. Again, his rookie year.

2012 he pretty much played the whole season and all snaps. He allowed 4 sacks and 10 QB hits

I dont know. With those kind of stats he has probably played an excellent game or two somewhere.

Do I really need to go into why you shouldn't be using Pro Football Focus to support your argument?

Do I really need to go into why you shouldn't be using Pro Football Focus to support your argument?

No and that was not PFF. But what you could do for me is tell me why you believe Nate Soldier never had an excellent game.

Solder usually has bad preseasons, so this is nothing new. Like a lot of vets, some of these guys simply don't play until the regular season.

Now, as far as Solder's performance during regular season. 95% of the time he is absolutely grade A dominant. The problem is that every season he falls asleep for a half or two now and then and will give up like 3 sacks in a row.

He is more dominant than Matt Light ever was, but a little less consistent.. Overall, he is a greater talent.

I know. Just giving dabruinz a a taste of his own medicine.
Umm.. No. You're not.. But that's ok.. Just go ahead and keep deluding yourself.

No and that was not PFF. But what you could do for me is tell me why you believe Nate Soldier never had an excellent game.

When the team has had to CONSISTENTLY use Gronk, Hernandez, Hooman, etc. to chip OLB's and DE's at the LOS, it pretty much indicates that said LT needs consistent help. That's not something that's indicative of excellent play.

When the team has had to CONSISTENTLY use Gronk, Hernandez, Hooman, etc. to chip OLB's and DE's at the LOS, it pretty much indicates that said LT needs consistent help. That's not something that's indicative of excellent play.

OK, So Hael and his post above about NS is completely off. The numbers dont mean a thing and I am also deluded.

Ok, just trying to piece this all together.

We can't expect much from Bill's pre-season teams. He has his plan and what he is looking for and cares less about who wins and loses in the pre-season. Mallet had a bad night period, OL didn't help him. When Bill wants to showcase Mallet for a trade you will see the first team on the field.

Don't be concerned.

Just some information:
Through Midseason, Solder hadn't given up more than 2.5 sacks. So I find it hard to believe that he gave up 9.5 sacks in 6+ games through the end of the season. Is it possible? sure.

Under Pressure: Midseason Sack Counts | Football Outsiders - 08 Nov 2013

You'll notice that I say 3 because that's the lowest number on the "most sacks allowed list" that is mentioned in the article.

I honestly wish they had their "Sacks Allowed" per player available to everyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes