PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: It just doesn't matter edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. There are lots of scenarios in which we won't play against any wild card team.

I think people are looking at that 6th seed (PIT or NYJ) and envisioning them beating the 3 seed, which would automatically send them to Foxborough. Definitely not out of the question, considering that the #3 team will likely either be CIN/DEN, both who may have QB issues for the wild card game.

That said, it's nothing that should be seen as set in stone, as you mention. Personally, I still think the Bills come to play on Sunday vs. the Jets and give Pittsburgh new life with the 6th seed. I hope not, however.

Am I the only one who would rather play pitt then the jets?

Am I the only one who would rather play pitt then the jets?

Yeah, you're probably in the minority--for sure.

We just took the Jets to OT in their most important game of the year (for them), with nothing more than our B squad at most positions. Imagine how much different things would've been 1) at home, or 2) healthy. For me, the Jets don't really scare me, and I don't even know if they'd get past their first wild card game on the road anyway. Hell, I don't even know if they'll get past their game @BUF next week. The spread is only -2 points right now.

Obviously, there's no right/wrong answer here. Just a difference of opinions.

Yeah, you're probably in the minority--for sure.

We just took the Jets to OT in their most important game of the year (for them), with nothing more than our B squad at most positions. Imagine how much different things would've been 1) at home, or 2) healthy. For me, the Jets don't really scare me, and I don't even know if they'd get past their first wild card game on the road anyway. Hell, I don't even know if they'll get past their game @BUF next week. The spread is only -2 points right now.

Obviously, there's no right/wrong answer here. Just a difference of opinions.

Good points

The stoolers made Mallett look like an nfl franchise QB. The jets have a good defense. We would be favorites but i got a feeling we would sweat that game out. The stoolers stink on defense.

The Pats took the Jets into overtime with one hand tied behind their back in the Meadowlands with the Jets' season on the line and the Pats affording to be able to lose the game. I think in Foxboro with McCourty, Chung, Edelman, Amendola, and potentially Vollmer back and Hightower further recovered from injury, I think the Pats beat the Jets pretty handily.

The Pats took the Jets into overtime with one hand tied behind their back in the Meadowlands with the Jets' season on the line and the Pats affording to be able to lose the game. I think in Foxboro with McCourty, Chung, Edelman, Amendola, and potentially Vollmer back and Hightower further recovered from injury, I think the Pats beat the Jets pretty handily.
With so many guys out, the importance of the injury to Hightower's probably getting lost in the shuffle a little. He clearly wasn't himself yesterday and then got dinged again..the guy definitely needs some downtime to get back to health.

Last edited:
Of course. There are lots of scenarios in which we won't play against any wild card team.

Scenarios, sure. But IMO it is ~50% that both the 5 & 6 seed win on WC weekend (AFC). The 3-4 seeds look vulnerable this year (untimely qb and other injuries). Hell, the 1seed is vulnerable due to injuries ;)

Martin will be a stud once Jules and Dola return to this offense, come January.

Defenses won't know what hit em.

He might be faster than Edelman. Getting some weak one on one nickel corners on him makes me salivate.

January, hurry the hell up.
From a football standpoint ive been wishing the season away since the DEN game. No more injuries.

Scenarios, sure. But IMO it is ~50% that both the 5 & 6 seed win on WC weekend (AFC). The 3-4 seeds look vulnerable this year (untimely qb and other injuries). Hell, the 1seed is vulnerable due to injuries ;)

We don't even know who the 3 seed is going to be. Let's talk again around midnight tonight after the Bengals/Broncos game.

If you step back and thing about it from the perspective of the entire season, we're 4--1 against the Division and the odds are very high that we will end up 5--1. The Jets are much improved and the Bills were on a high when we played them early in the season. 5--1 is pretty damn good. If we're going to kick ourselves over a loss, it should be over the Eagles game, which we gave away. Nothing to kick ourselves about yesterday, given the resources they had on the field.

Last edited:
Here we go (I will start with the negatives and go to the positives):
  • Slater screwed up. I thought he wanted to receive and just said it wrong, but he should have elected to defer the decision. I think the rules still apply in overtime where he can defer the decision to the Jets and select the end zone to defend. But once you select to kick off, you have made a choice. I could be wrong there.
  • That said, I don't get the strategy. I can understand if weather was a factor, but it didn't appear to be. I mean even though the defense had been playing well since the Jets' opening drive of the second half, don't know if you can guarantee stopping a TD on the opening drive in overtime.
RE BB's Decision: I support BB's decision in OT. The offense was having trouble moving the ball...only driving for one TD all day and with Brady getting knocked down or hurried on every other play. The defense hadn't given up a TD since 9 minutes of the third quarter. It was a reasonable gamble to play for field position, depend on the D to stop the Jets and get the ball back on the 35 or so, with Brady only needing to take them 35 yards to set up a Gostkowski FG attempt. It didn't work out that way, but it says that he had no trust in the ability of the offense to move the ball for a TD on an initial possession and was wary of their ability to get a FG twice, considering that they had only done it twice in the first 60 minutes. How might the GOAT feel about that? Probably not so good, but, IMO, it was the best decision for the team given the physical condition of the offense.

Re Slater: When a team "defers" after winning the coin toss, it is deferring its opportunity to receive the ball until the beginning of the second half. Since there is no additional OT in a preseason or regular season game, where the game is reset as it is at halftime, there is, by definition, nothing to which the team that wins the toss can "defer." So, the correct thing to say was "Kick" or "Receive." Slater said exactly the right thing. He also said it on direct instructions from BB. He was just confused momentarily about the fact that he did not also get to choose the goal the Patriots would defend. The official handled the situation correctly. Once he said, "Kick," Slater's role was over. The official was right to ignore him; he's the Referee of a high stakes transaction between adults, not a nanny who has to explain the rules to one of them.

Here's what the rule book says:
Rule 16, Section 1, Article 2:
ARTICLE 2. END OF REGULATION
At the end of regulation playing time, the Referee shall immediately toss a coin at the center of the field, in accordance with rules pertaining to a usual pregame toss (4-2-2). The visiting team captain is to again call the toss. [my emphasis in bold]

Rule, 4, Section 2, Article 2 (see bold above)
Rule 4, Section 2, Article 2: Not more than three minutes before the kickoff of the first half, the Referee, in the presence of both team’s captains (limit of six per team, all of whom must be uniformed members of the Active List) shall toss a coin at the center of the field. Prior to the Referee’s toss, the call of “heads” or “tails” must be made by the captain of the visiting team, or by the captain designated by the Referee if there is no home team. Unless the winner of the toss defers his choice to the second half, he must choose one of two privileges, and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:
a) The opportunity to receive the kickoff, or to kick off; or
(b) The choice of goal his team will defend

However, unless it is a postseason game, in OT there is nothing to which to defer.

The arrangements are different only in the postseason (Rule 16, Section 1, Article 5):

ARTICLE 5. OVERTIME IN POSTSEASON

The following shall apply to overtime games in the postseason:
  1. If the score is tied at the end of a 15-minute overtime period, or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended, another overtime period will begin, and play will continue, regardless of how many 15-minute periods are necessary.
  2. Between each overtime period, there shall be a two-minute intermission, but there shall be no halftime intermission after the second period. At the beginning of the third overtime period, the captain who lost the coin toss prior to the first overtime period shall have the first choice of the two privileges in 4-2-2, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred. [my emphasis in bold again]

They haven't beaten the jests handily since the butt fumble game. Idk. Be careful what you wish for. We would be favorites but they seem to play us tough. I am hoping the bungles win tonight but they won't.

Last edited:
The positives I took away from this game:

After the Jets dominated early, it looked like a blowout was coming. But once the D started pressuring Fitz, the game got more interesting. The Sheard-Collins score had me off the chair yelling!

This Team will fight you to the bitter end. (Think: "Never Give Up" Frog /Stork poster!)

The GOAT is still other-worldly magical in the clutch. The tying drive with two difficult 4th down conversions was unbelievable! Not a drop of sweat. The man is ICE. People, we are SO blessed!

With some much needed healing and rest, we remain The Team Nobody Wants To Play.

They haven't beaten the jests hardly since the butt fumble game. Idk. Be careful what you wish for. We would be favorites but they seem to play us tough. I am hoping the bungles win tonight but they won't.

And other than this loss, they haven't lost to the Jets since October 20, 2013. And those are the only two times they have lost to the Jets since the 2010 playoffs.

Yes, the Jets usually play play the Pats tough, but they usually lose to the Pats. I haven't heard of style points in the playoffs. I don't care if the Jets know how to play the Pats tough in losses.

People always bring up the "the Jets play the Pats tough" argument, but ignore the fact that "the Jets play the Pats tough.... but still lose".

And other than this loss, they haven't lost to the Jets since October 20, 2013. And those are the only two times they have lost to the Jets since the 2010 playoffs.

Yes, the Jets usually play play the Pats tough, but they usually lose to the Pats. I haven't heard of style points in the playoffs. I don't care if the Jets know how to play the Pats tough in losses.

People always bring up the "the Jets play the Pats tough" argument, but ignore the fact that "the Jets play the Pats tough.... but still lose".

True but it comes to down to a couple of plays. You can make an argument they should have beaten us twice last year. Those rugged physical teams usually gives us trouble. That's why i prefer the squealers. Great offense but not much else

The run defense was atrocious yesterday. No excuses for that. They had their LBs

Completely agree on this. BB chose to play this game way out on the edge and it cost him. Some things I can understand (plain jane offense, utilizing Gronk only when necessary), some things I agree with (sitting many players) and some things are head scratchers (running out the clock to end the first half, choosing to kick off on the road in OT).

I am sure he had his reasons.....

oh cut the chicken little ******** for just 1 post.

You can make an argument they should have beaten us twice last year

No you can't. Pats won, they lost. End of argument. Pats took the lead with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quater in the 1st game and took the lead with 13 minutes left in the other game. There is no argument to be made that they should have won.

. Those rugged physical teams usually gives us trouble.

Another narrative that has been overstated. Patriots beat "rugged physical" teams far more than those teams beat the Patriots.

1. Minus their top two offensive tackles, wide receivers, running backs and safeties the Patriots took the Jets to OT. Imagine the score with that reversed. That's four positions ravaged and not including the other injuries.

2. Yes Sheard >>> SUH........but on the topic of bad off-season signing wow has Scott Chandler been a bust.

3. Sometimes Josh just seems to outsmart himself. I understand why they went conservative but when you finally start to get some flow stay with what's working. Second drive of the second half: Brady to Bolden for 11, Brady to Martin for 24, Bolden rush for 3, Brady to Lafell for 19. They finally seem to have the Jets on their heels and have some momentum. What does Josh call? Two runs for a yard each setting up 3rd and 8. Jets pin their ears back and get a sack. So frustrating.

4. I get you don't have all your weapons for the two minute drill but given how the game was going you have to try to get at least 3 on that drive.

5. If the Pats hadn't scored so quickly to tie the game at 20 I thought going for 2 and the victory had some merit. With 1:56 left tying it probably the way to go but I wonder if going for two entered Bill's thoughts.

6. I'm not sure what Vollmer's status is but that's a costly loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST