PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaffney simply doesn't run routes as well as branch, and is by no means a man-beater
Gaffney had better production last season with Grossman/Beck at quarterback than Branch with Brady at quarterback.

Due to Brady being injured/immobilized and having a passing game that consisted of two real threats and one credible receiver. 2011 Gronk was borderline Moss-like in his game-changing ability, but again, the Giants beat us because they could generate interior pressure and, as long as they could cover two guys, we had nowhere else to go. If you're going to lean on the passing game as heavily as the Pats do, then there's no such thing as too many weapons. I'll be curious to see who sticks ahead of "a WR who we know can actually play WR in this system" (Gaffney), because at some point in the season I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that we'll miss Gaffney more than we needed someone else who made the 53.

Excellent points BFTW have you seen the the WR cores the Giants and Pack are sporting. They make our WR's look sorry.:(

I didn't list a #4 WR because on most teams the #4 WR is a special teamer who can be on the field 5-15 snaps a game which Edelman can handle.

Seriously, why is all the sudden the #4 WR becomes such a big concern. We went into the season last year with no back up for Gronk or Hernandez and no legitimate starting safety opposite Chung. At WR, they only had one legitimate full time starter at WR and no legitimate guy off the bench as a #3 WR. Those were real concerns and the Pats overcame them. Worrying about the #4 WR is nothing compared to that or the fact that if Vollmer or Solder goes down that Cannon becomes the teams' starting RT.

As for the TE/WR thing, it is no different than what described. The Pats use Hernandez as WR a lot just like San Deigo used to consider Gates as a WR in a TE's body (still do, but he isn't as effective) or KC did with Gonzo (and then Atlanta). Yes, Gronk is used as a pure TE, but Hernandez is a hybrid and likely to be used more this year as a WR.

In your quest to defend all things Belichick, you're now trying to re-fight the discussions of last season. This battle was lost by the BB fanboys when local and national analysts began pointing out many of us had been saying all along, when the WR problems became apparent in the playoffs, and when BB signed half the planet for the WR position. I'm not going to waste my time re-fighting it now.

The issue isn't why we would talk about the WR4 position. The issue is why BB is cutting one of only two WRs he had on the roster that had shown the ability to exploit the outside-middle-deep area of the field as their game (Welker exploits the interior). Barring further developments, which we all acknowledge can happen, the Patriots are now needlessly in the position where an injury to Lloyd puts them in a worse WR position than they were last year.

Last edited:
Then why wasn't Branch cut instead? He's far more likely to be a shadow roster type of guy (or come back in week 2 for the non guaranteed money), the only reason they would cut Gaffney over Branch is because Branch is a better fit and is showing more in preseason. So no, I don't agree that Gaffney is significantly better than Branch right now for THIS team.
Jabar Gaffney is currently nursing an injury and to what extent is anybody's guess at this juncture.

I didn't list a #4 WR because on most teams the #4 WR is a special teamer who can be on the field 5-15 snaps a game which Edelman can handle.

Seriously, why is all the sudden the #4 WR becomes such a big concern. We went into the season last year with no back up for Gronk or Hernandez and no legitimate starting safety opposite Chung. At WR, they only had one legitimate full time starter at WR and no legitimate guy off the bench as a #3 WR. Those were real concerns and the Pats overcame them. Worrying about the #4 WR is nothing compared to that or the fact that if Vollmer or Solder goes down that Cannon becomes the teams' starting RT.

As for the TE/WR thing, it is no different than what described. The Pats use Hernandez as WR a lot just like San Deigo used to consider Gates as a WR in a TE's body (still do, but he isn't as effective) or KC did with Gonzo (and then Atlanta). Yes, Gronk is used as a pure TE, but Hernandez is a hybrid and likely to be used more this year as a WR.

By all accounts, it was looking more and more like Gaffney would more or less split time with Branch depending on the in-game situation. At the very least, he would have been there for injury insurance. But, no matter how you cut it, with Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker, an offense like our's is ultimately more potent with two guys that can threaten outside the numbers instead of just one.

I sincerely hope that Gaffney is brought back. I'm not saying that this release was a HUGE mistake by any measure (a huge mistake would be letting Sanders and Meriweather go because Sergio Brown had a better camp than either of them last year), but it's definitely ill advised.

*Fully aware that Meriweather and Sanders are irrelevant and I'm not trying to go down that road and de-rail the thread. Just bringing up an example of a huge mistake.

They had two as of yesterday. Now they have one. If that one gets hurt, they have none (assuming Gaffney isn't coming back).

Agreed, and I don't like that. There's no reason to start the season with one guy who can beat single coverage as an outside receiver. It just doesn't make sense, especially when they had a guy who could do that on the roster and chose to cut him. Whatever the Patriots end up keeping out of a 4th TE, FB, or whatever it ends up being, I expect that at some point they'll miss Gaffney more than they'll be able to use that guy.

In your quest to defend all things Belichick, you're now trying to re-fight the discussions of last season. This battle was lost by the BB fanboys when local and national analysts began pointing out many of us had been saying all along, when the WR problems became apparent in the playoffs, and when BB signed half the planet for the WR position. I'm not going to waste my time re-fighting it now.

The issue isn't why we would talk about the WR4 position. The issue is why BB is cutting one of only two WRs he had on the roster that had shown the ability to exploit the outside-middle-deep area of the field as their game (Welker exploits the interior). Barring further developments, which we all acknowledge can happen, the Patriots are now needlessly in the position where an injury to Lloyd puts them in a worse WR position than they were last year.

I am not the biggest Deus fan around here but that post is pretty hard to dissagree with. Teams are going to Defend the middle of the field against the Patriots in 2012.

Gaffney was never a down the field threat. He is more like Branch doing the short and intermediate routes.

Gaffney was/is a threat all over the field, especially in our offense. Where you're getting that from, I'm not sure.

BTW, last year, the Pats had no deep threat and if that one got hurt, they still had none.

That was certainly apparent in the AFCCG and Super Bowl, and throughout points of last season as a whole. It's the reason why BB went out and signed guys like Lloyd and Gaffney.

It seems like we are one WR short: if Lloyd gets hurt we are right back to last year. Teams are going to load up on the inside against us if we cannot keep em honest on the outsides. Patriots WR scouts should be fired, those guys are stealing money. We don't have one good capable young WR on this roster it embaracing.:snob:

Again, I don't know how the whole keeping them honest outside changed much from yesterday to today. Stallworth if he had anything left might have helped there, but not Gaffney. Gaffney isn't much different than Branch in his playing style and not much of an outside receiver.

...There's no reason to start the season with one guy who can beat single coverage as an outside receiver. It just doesn't make sense, especially when they had a guy who could do that on the roster and chose to cut him...

Exactly. It's not about tight ends, or running backs catching balls out of the backfield. It's about wide receivers with the ability to increase the area of the field that defenses have to account for.

Last edited:
Again, I don't know how the whole keeping them honest outside changed much from yesterday to today. Stallworth if he had anything left might have helped there, but not Gaffney. Gaffney isn't much different than Branch in his playing style and not much of an outside receiver.

That's just not true. He played for us for several years under McDaniels, so it's not like we're guesstimating what his role in this offense would be. He's a known entity, and he isn't what you're saying he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoafQ3NFT94

Last edited:
Why don't we use Slater more as an outright WR? Does he have feet for hands or what?

We know he's not the burner we would like but he has the most important thing going for him and thats knowing our playbook with good hand the to boot. I am hoping as someone says that its a *wink* *wink* cut.

You're assuming that Gaffney can still play. He had a great season last year, but we've all seen veterans drop off the map before.

I think it's possible he's injured and could return later in the season, so they don't have to guarantee his contract; they've done that before with guys like Gerard Warren. Let's see if Gaffney shows interest in any other teams.

Either way, t's safe to say the Patriots have more information than we do. It definitely sucks to lose two outside threats at the same time, but there's probably more going on than we know.

Last edited:
In every Patriots loss last year minus the Buffalo game the lack of a "deep threat" really showed up on the scoreboard. I will like to add the Cowboy game into that equation too. I love Gronk/ Hernandez/Welker, but if a team has an athletic back end players and LBs, we are screwed especially if Lloyd doesn't produce. They got shut down vs. Pittsburgh, the Giants (1st game), and struggled vs. Dallas. Time will tell. The Pats are going to face some good defenses this year especially from the NFC West.

Due to Brady being injured/immobilized and having a passing game that consisted of two real threats and one credible receiver. 2011 Gronk was borderline Moss-like in his game-changing ability, but again, the Giants beat us because they could generate interior pressure and, as long as they could cover two guys, we had nowhere else to go. If you're going to lean on the passing game as heavily as the Pats do, then there's no such thing as too many weapons. I'll be curious to see who sticks ahead of "a WR who we know can actually play WR in this system" (Gaffney), because at some point in the season I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that we'll miss Gaffney more than we needed someone else who made the 53.
Let's cut Jabar Gaffney, depleting the wide receiver depth on the roster, while James Ihedigbo, who is completely useless defensively, takes up a valuable roster spot.

Football Outsiders has the numbers. I posted them here not too long ago. But Branch also exclusively threatened the middle and lower levels of the field as well. So he's not an outside-the-numbers kind of guy either. Neither is Edelman. And we don't even know if Ebert will see the field or what position (if any) Demps will line up at on offense.

So yeah, we only have one outside the numbers kind of guy. Should be pretty easy to roll a safety over to him in order to effectively slow him down and still concentrate on the middle of the field to take out those options. If we don't sign another one to compliment Lloyd and the rest of the options, I hope Brady and Co. are on their game...

You're assuming that Gaffney can still play.

Absolutely and admittedly. Even the discussion within the discussion (quad injury) takes that into account.

He had a great season last year, but we've all seen veterans drop off the map quickly before.

I think it's possible he's injured and could return later in the season so they don't have to guarantee his contract, which they've done before with guys like Gerard Warren. We'll have to see if Gaffney shows interest in any other teams.

Sure, and there's also the possibility that the team has seen Ebert work enough to think he can be a threat downfield and outside the numbers. However, we can only go by what we know.

Why don't we use Slater more as an outright WR?
Matt Slater adds nothing offensively or defensively to the New England Patriots roster. Matt Slater is strictly a special teams player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST